Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DIRECTV retention promotions

Highlighted
Contributor

DIRECTV retention promotions

my ultimate package in direct tv has resumed to normal price of $149/month after paying $40/month x2 yrs.. I spent 2 hrs w/ loyalty program 8/22 for a promotion to maintain my package and was told by 3 different depts there were no promotions available  I calle d8/23 to cancel service and all of a sudden they offered $45/ month discount  . I don't trust them and don't understand 2 hours yesterday negotiating to keep service was met with " guess you will have to cancel"

Any thoughts

Message 1 of 28
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by (Former Employee)
Accepted by tgreaves
‎08-24-2018 8:15 AM

Re: retention promotion for existing direct tv

Promotional discounts are not always available and should never be relied on to afford the bill.

Sometimes a retention/cancelation agent might be able to offer a special promotion in order to retain your service, but it is not always guaranteed.

Promotions are subject to change depending on the market, your account status, and what Directv has budgeted in general.

Many service companies work in a similar fashion.

If you are able to get a new discount, great. Though I wouldn't expect it to be anywhere near your intro price as that is one-time for all customers. So you would not be able to maintain your previous rate. Companies can only invest in the larger intro rate to attract business and to give the customer a chance to try out more services to see what they will use for the long run. They couldn't afford to keep giving all their existing customers the intro rate over and over. They pay the channel owners a lot of money to carry them, which is where that normal cost comes from.

The Ultimate package is just shy from being the most expensive package offered. Review the channels you use in case they may be in a lower costing package. After all what help is a temporary discount if the package you have is too high a level anyway. The Ultimate package after some channels changed over the years, is mainly intended to get all the normal channels and the Encore channels. Encore in addition to being in the Ultimate package, and part of the Starz pack add on, now has an option by itself. Just Encore is $8.99 a month that you can add to any package below Ultimate.

So review your services and see what you can lower or remove to make the base cost cheaper as that will be your long term savings. Certainly ask about any discounts that 'might' be available, but don't expect to knock a approx. $150 bill back to under $100 with just discounts.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 28
Teacher

You can say all you want about you having to pay for the channels and that's expensive, But that is not the case at all, You people get paid by Advertisers a whole bunch of Money then you Rake People over the Coals, I started DIRECTV over 20 years ago, MY Service has got continually Worse and my bill has increase 100 %   now you can go off on my if you want, But let me tell you something.  Ever since AT&T has bought Directv it's really went in the toilet.  I guess what they want people to do is, When your contract is up Switch over to Dishnet and in two years when your Bill goes SKY HI without Cause, and Crappy Service with People who could care less about the people paying their bills.  Like I said i have been a customer since 2002 and my Bill Was 39.99 a month for the same thing I have now more or less, except the HD and DVR service which they Charge you 10.00 a month extra for and 10.00 a month  extra for Additional receivers.  now my bill is 158.00 per month.  I am Sick and tired of Calling and Fighting with Retention Dept. Since AT & T bought them it's Useless to even try you will be on the phone for hours and nothing will get done.    I called the President of AT&T and got my Bill down to 100.00 per month. But now I am just thinking before I even try to call After being A long time Great Paying Customer for over 20 years with Directv even trying to give a long time customer a better Deal than some NEW CUSTOMER that will cancel their Service after there 1 or 2 year period.  I am more than likely going to call Dishnet and get their package it will save me 100 bucks a month and have better channel than I do now.  Is this the Practice DirecTv does ?  After being a LongTime Customer you would think after the first 10 years of Service they would give a discount and then 20 years a better one but No your bill just keeps going higher and higher,  It's showing No Respect for long time customers at all I feel being here with directv they don't give two Squirts of cow P***  about people that have been dedicated customer's and that's a very sad thing to say. Quality of Service is Down Reps now Talk to you like a Child and treat you like crap.  I am calling Dishnet next and I'll will be switching back and fourth for now on just to get a better Price because being a long-time Customer has no Advantage.

Message 3 of 28
ACE - Expert

Advertisers pay the channels for their time slots, not TV providers. TV providers pay to carry the channel, which is just rebroadcasting the same content as all other providers with the channel.

DirecTV does not charge $10 a month for additional receivers. You pay $7 a month for each additional TV that is authorized, no matter what kind of box it is. The other charges $10 HD, $10 DVR, $3 Whole Home DVR are for services that cover the entire account, even if only one of your boxes can use those services.

Dish on the other hand charges $10 to $17 per box , depending what level of DVR/hopper/joey/super joey, etc. it is. DirecTV's billing model is simple and cheaper than Dish at multiple TVs because DirecTV services cover the account with just a flat "mirroring" fee (the $7 mentioned) per TV, as opposed to Dish which charges more per level of box. Also Dish charges for simple things like programming changes and even activating an external hard drive, which DirecTV does not charge for (just check the end of their residential agreement on the website for those surprise charges). I do compare every so often to make sure which service out there is best for my household.

So far DirecTV has not done any increasing discounts at the 10 or 20 year mark like you suggest. They pay the networks a lot of money to carry the channels, and those costs keep increasing. I gather that increasing discounts while costs go up would not work for budgeting. Extra discounts would be nice, but in no way are they required for us customers. If your bill is too high, review what you use to make sure it is tailored as best as possible. Packages have changed over the last 20 years, including what channels are in them. Sometimes channels end up in cheaper options, or more flexible. Such as AMC used to be Choice and up, now is all the way down into Select. Encore was Ultimate/Premier package or Starz add on, but now has their own add on if you don't want the full Starz. Even Hallmark Movies and Mysteries used to be just the Movies Extra Pack (formally called HD Extra Pack), and is now also in Select, Entertainment, Preferred Xtra, and Premier. And yes that is Preferred Xtra, not Xtra, for those that watch little to no sports (no RSN channels so no RSN fee, lower base cost than Xtra which makes it comparable to Choice cost because of no RSN fee).

So make changes to your account so it is the best fit for what you use. DirecTV is a luxury TV service and charges at such. If the price is not within your budget, it is up to you to change services around to lower the cost. If you cannot afford the service without discounts, you cannot afford the service. If you feel another TV provider would suit your needs, fair enough. Just make sure to verify expected cost after intro discounts are over, plus expect price to go up further as all TV providers deal with the increasing costs from the networks over the years.

Customer service reps should treat customers with respect and not talk down to you. If they do otherwise, request a supervisor. However if someone gives them the attitude of "I deserve a discount and I want it now", then that is just another Veruca Salt for which I have no sympathy for.

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 28
Contributor

Spoiler
I was on the phone the day before Christmas for 3 and half hours! First call told me if I wanted to talk to a person 5 dollars would be applied to my bill. Well  I had to talk to a person to keep my bill from going up 100.00 dollars the next day! I was put on hold For over an hour and a half .They told me I had to talk to a VIP person to make any kinda of deal! Trouble being VIP would not answer the phone! I hung up and called back same message about the 5 charge. Samething happened again  I called back again nothing said about the 5 dollars so I asked the guy whatt is this crap about the 5 dollars and he said it didn’t apply to me but when looked at my bill on line it was 5 dollars higher . I cant say I made a good deal but I did keep my service for about the same price. I lost alot of channels so by summer I will teaching myself to getting into my ruko. I have been a direct tv customer since 2008 . I think we are going to part ways very soon!
Message 5 of 28
Contributor

I called direct tv the day before Christmas my was going up by 100 dollars the next day! The first message I got was if I wanted to talk to a person they were going to apply 5. Dollars to my bill. Well had to talk to someone and they told that only a Vip person could help. I was on hold for overAn hour and half. I called back  same message about the 5 dollars I was told the same about talking to a Vip but Vip would not pick up the phone. Called back third time nothing said about the 5 dollars so I asked the guy whats this crap about the 5 dollars he said oh don’t worry about that thats for something else but when I checked my bill on line it was 5 dollars higher! We did manage to strike a deal if you want to call it that! I kept my  account close to what I was paying but lost all my good channels! I think we are going to have to part ways! Ruku might be in my best interest. 

Message 6 of 28
Contributor

I agree their customer service is horrendous. I called to get a new receiver. I had to pay $20 to get one. I paid and when I received the new one the receiver was all scratched up and was 3 years old according to the manufacture date sticker. I was on hold with customer support for 30 minutes just trying to return it without having to go to a UPS or FedEx store. I felt since they sent me old damaged equipment they should schedule a pickup for me. After the 30 minute wait I was told I still needed to go to a FedEx or UPS store. I asked to speak to a manager. I water another half hour to talk to a manager. He got on the phone and was incredible rude to me for no reason. He then hung up on me. I then went on chat. I was promised by the rep I would be helped. I explained my issue. After waiting on Chat for another 30 minutes she tells me I have to drop it off at a UPS store. I told her that I had explained my issue 30 minutes ago and she transferred me to someone else with no warning. The next person on chat said since I was being disagreeable he wasn't going to help me.  ARE YOU FREAKING KIDDING ME???? I told him I used to be a customer service rep years ago and would have been fired for saying something like that. HE ENDED THE CHAT!!!! I could not believe it!!!! What the NAME OF ALL THAT IS HOLY has happened to customer service? I dealt with Directv customer service a year ago before they were purchased by ATT and they were great! And they were in the country! Once my promotions run out I an getting rid of directv

Message 7 of 28
ACE - Expert

Delivery of a warranty replacement, or upgrade if tech is not needed, is delivery $19.95 unless you have their optional equipment protection plan. Boxes are not guaranteed to be brand new. They are refurbished and can last for many years. That being said, refurbished is supposed to put it into like-new condition so being scratched up would not be normal.

DirecTV never schedules a pickup for anybody. Boxes are shipped back. Formally they would send you a return box, but over a year ago AT&T changed it so you take the boxes to a participating FedEx or UPS location. The return is faster, plus no worry about a lost return kit if went to a wrong address (common when people moved if sent back to the old address), or if delivery left it on porch and someone walked off with it or was damaged in bad weather.

Transferring without warning is very wrong of the agent. If they have to transfer you that is fine, but should only do so after informing you first.

Cost of delivery, box being refurbished, and return procedures were normal as they are for the rest of us. However per the box sounded like it wasn't properly refurbished and the issues with how you were handled by the prior agents, I would call DirecTV back and request to speak to a supervisor.

Message 8 of 28
Contributor

Same issues here. 

It should be about customer loyalty. I've been with both AT&T and DirecTV for over 5 years. Even when I really couldn't afford it but managed to figure it out. Now my discounts drop off (an email to notify would be nice) and my bill goes up to $134 from  $82. I called and no promotions were available but they tried to convince me to stay. I asked a simple question. Why would I stay loyal to DirecTV when they'd rather gain new customers than retain old ones? Especially when I can get the channels I want and cloud DVR from sling for $45  per month. On top of that I can buy a $75 antenna and get all the local channels for any sports that aren't on FS1, FS2, ESPN, or TNT. 

Also, i'd like to see numbers on the statement claiming they couldn't afford to offer intro rates to all customers. There is a difference between can't afford it and not willing to risk share price or share holder value to do it. Now instead of having 3 services through AT&T, I have one. If COX wasn't just as bad i'd switch to them for internet. Maybe one of these days the fiber companies will come into the suburbs. 

Message 9 of 28
Tutor

I called directv back I. December to renegotiate a price to retain me as a customer. We agreed on a price and I thought everything was great. When February came my bill was over $200. When it should’ve been $88 plus tax.  I also noticed on my bill there was a balance transfer fee of $55.  When I called customer service they could not or would not explain to me what a balance transfer fee was. Also the $88 I negotiated was put into the notes in the account but the discount was never given. So I asked if I could get the price since it’s in the notes and clearly I negotiated the price. After the rep said I’ll have to talk to the back office and being I. Hold for 20 minutes I was told no that price was no longer valid and I would have to pay full price.  Well I said ok I’ll cancel. Then they said I would have to take it to a local fed ex or ups store which there none close to me they are at least 45 minutes to an hour away    I demanded a pre paid kit after arguing for another 20 minutes I finally got them to agree to send the box. Now I’m just waiting to see that diectv has received my equipment.  I’m am totaly done I’ll never go back!  I just bought a roku tv and it seems to be fitting my needs. Directv customer service is horrible hands down worse now that AT&T took over.  Also did I mention I’m a long time customer of at&t all the way back to the Cingular days. Yup AT&T as a whole is horrible (I’d like to use other words but this forum won’t let me)and can’t be trusted at all

Message 10 of 28
ACE - Expert

@Irgonox 

Not familiar with a balance transfer fee. Unless you have a combined bill with AT&T services and that was something to do with the AT&T side, I've got no other ideas.

Sending you a return box (the old method) would be the process when too far away from a participating shipper, which is I believe going over either 10 or 20 miles. Being close to an hour away, I would assume that puts you out of range. It is a problem that there are still agents not familiar with the process since it changed over a year ago.

But perhaps not all of your boxes are returnable. What are the models of each you have?

Message 11 of 28
Tutor

I had a genie and genie wireless mini. I’m no longer a subscriber and never will be again since directv only cares about new subscribers current ones don’t matter and like I said what really had me upset was the fact that I negotiated s new price of $88 and it was mentioned in the notes cause the customer service rep seen it but that price was not honored do all of my time and effort was wasted.   If DirectTV continues to treat current customers like second rate citizens I believe more and more people will cut the cord and directv will be out of business.  I now have Philo and live it I will not ever return to directv. The service is excellent love the user interface and reliability. But customer service is in the toilet for sure!!!

Message 12 of 28
Contributor

After nearly 20 year of directv, it is time to part ways. Their service is just not what it use to be. Besides there is way to much internet tv that is free. Why people continue to pay those ridiculous prices is beyond me. I guess they can afford to throw money into the gutter. I have asked over and over for a new dvr that works.It is the oldest one out there.  You would think I had dialup on how slow it is. People that are thinking to go internet tv. It takes time to adjust to this. Once you become adjusted to apps versus channels. you got it whipped.  

Message 13 of 28
ACE - Expert

@bobo85301 wrote:

After nearly 20 year of directv, it is time to part ways. Their service is just not what it use to be. Besides there is way to much internet tv that is free. Why people continue to pay those ridiculous prices is beyond me. I guess they can afford to throw money into the gutter. I have asked over and over for a new dvr that works.It is the oldest one out there.  You would think I had dialup on how slow it is. People that are thinking to go internet tv. It takes time to adjust to this. Once you become adjusted to apps versus channels. you got it whipped.  

Not everybody has good enough internet available, if internet at all, to support streaming TV. Satellite TV is essentially country wide that just requires clear view of sky, not reliant on there being a hardline service to the home. So satellite TV and streaming TV are primarily aimed at different markets, but for some they can compliment each other. Streaming TV has gone up over the years, and as it becomes more accessible, it is expected that it will catch up to the traditional TV providers in cost. This is because all TV providers have to pay for the channels/content as they don't own them.

As for having a DVR that is the "oldest one out there", if you truly have something like an R15 or Series 1 TiVO then it is not only well overdue for replacement but is now required as the feed for MPEG-2 boxes started shutting down last month. Otherwise, what model of DVR do you actually have and what specific issues are you experiencing (you mention slowness, but slowness of what?).

Message 14 of 28
Contributor

Direct TV had very good customer service but since AT&T took it over, the customer service has gotten very bad. 

Message 15 of 28
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support