Explore & discover

Helpful Links

DIRECTV Unauthorized Credit Inquiry

DIRECTV Unauthorized Credit Inquiry

I am highly upset over this unscrupulous practice with AT&T and Directv. I was in an AT&T store due to a cell phone issue. While there, reps tried to upsell Directv packages. In the end I told them I am not signing up for anything then and there as I wanted to do my research and see if the switch made sense as I have another service provider. At no time was I informed or gave consent for a hard credit report pull. As I have a credit monitoring, I was alerted that as of today a credit inquiry was made by Direct. Considering I do not even have an account I find it very egregious and unscrupulous that such an unauthorized activity took place and lowered my credit score. All of this took place in the span of one day.

I want to know the recourse action to having this removed from my report immediately.

Shame on the company for being so blase about not warning potential customers about this practice or expressly asking for consent! This is outrageous.

Message 1 of 38
ACE - Expert

Re: DIRECTV Unauthorized Credit Inquiry

This is a customer to customer forum with no access to any accounts you have to call/chat with DTV or send a PM to @ATTDIRECTVCare.

800.531.5000 | Pay Bill | Order Movies | Refresh Your Receivers
General support is available every day, 8 a.m. – 12 a.m. ET
Technical support is available 24 hours a day

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 38
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Jazmyrnwen
‎01-05-2018 10:43 PM

Unless you are running all over the place running credit checks it shouldn't affect you much.

Go here to dispute: www.directv.com/notmycreditinquiry

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 38

While I agree that this should not have a major impact, it is the principle of the matter I am concerned about. Such inquiries need to be expressly conveyed to the consumer and consent be given. Furthermore for this inquiry to have happened when I am not even a customer, and after this stunt, do not want to be a customer, and to have it sit on my report for 2 years is disturbing. This is not a mortgage or auto loan. This is a utility to which I do not pay any service whatsoever to and none of my other service providers - cell, cable or internet - have ever done a hard credit inquiry. That is the source of my frustration - that I am not a customer and I did not give my consent.
Message 4 of 38

That is not the point. It shouldn't be done without a person's consent... period. 

Message 5 of 38
ACE - Expert

@Jazmyrnwen.

A credit pull should not be done without being informed so you can agree to continue or not. If somebody contacted DirecTV with your credit info (trying to commit identity theft) or someone "fat fingered" a number, then go to www.directv.com/notmycreditinquiry to dispute.

Pay TV, like other forms of entertainment are not a utility like water, electric, and gas services.

Message 6 of 38

That's the whole point of this post @Juniper. The representatives at the AT&T store did not inform me that there would be a credit pull, I did not request any Directv services and did not give my consent to any of this. This should not be an accepted practice by either AT&T or Directv to do so without the consumers' express consent and yet this forum has many complaints of the very same practice happening to other individuals. 

In any event I did contact the company and recently received confirmation that the inquiry was removed from my report. Should not have had to go through this hassle in the first place if the representatives were not trying to hard sell services and were upfront from the get go. 

Message 7 of 38
Contributor

How did you get them to pull it from your credit? I had a similar situation happen Friday afternoon from a door to door salesman who I openly expressed I did not give them the authorization to run my credit.

Message 8 of 38
ACE - Expert

Door to door would be a 3rd party salesperson, not a DirecTV or AT&T employee. Door to door hasn't changed in the last couple hundred years so I refuse to go by any info they want to provide me. Some of them may be ok, but too many I find to not be trustworthy. You can dispute at www.directv.com/notmycreditinquiry

Message 9 of 38

1.  I have made the dispute, but how long do I have to wait to hear anything back?

2. In order to make the dispute, one has to give out his/her SS# again, how do I know if Direct TV will treat my personal info with respect, while I didn't even give them permission for the hard inquiry to begin with? other words, how do I know if they will actually do anything about my complaint for the point that I am not even a customer of Direct TV?

I tried calling them, no answer, I tried chatting with them on line it took more than 1 hour each time, kept transfering to higher up, until Fraud unit, still at the end you end up with that website to type in all your personal info. again while I cannot even trust it or them to begin with.  And they won't consider that a fraud to investigate.  I absolutely didn't give out any info. to Direct TV, and I am only a customer of AT&T wireless.  When they need to introduce you something, they claim that Direct TV is part of AT&T, and when there is a problem about info. leak, they said to me they have no access to what Direct TV can do to you, so barking at the wrong tree.  Now I tried communicating to Direct TV, they won't answer any call because I am not a customer yet.

Message 10 of 38
Former Employee

Rule of thumb. Never hand over your drivers license number or SSN unless you expect to have a credit check done.

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Message 11 of 38
ACE - Expert

Also, consider putting a "freeze" on your credit reports with the big 3 agencies .... Equifax, Transunion, Experian

That way nobody can access your credit reports without your explicit action to unfreeze the report.

Message 12 of 38

My question is this, in order to dispute a credit inquiry, the website ask for SS#, now it is a catch 22, is the 

directv.com/notmycreditinquiry

Safe?

For I didn't even give out  my personal info nor permission to do so in the beginning.

Please help.

Message 13 of 38
Tutor

I just had the same problem.  I was never contacted by AT&T or DirecTV, yet have hard credit inquiries from both.  I have never been a customer of either (nor will I ever be if they do not correct this immediately).  

Message 14 of 38
Former Employee

Well @bbhues, I have to ask then if you have NEVER been a AT&T or Directv customer before. Where did they get your social security number from? So what products or services have you recently inquired or signed up for? May not even be AT&T or Directv related.

Another possibility is you maybe subject of social security fraud. Someone else may have taken your social and name but inquiring about service elsewhere. You may want to get more details prior to pointing fingers.

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Message 15 of 38
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support