Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Contract renewal not authorized

Contributor

Contract renewal not authorized

I just found out my contract was renewed without my consent and knowledge. When I talked to directv customer reps this appears to be a common practice with directv now in order to keep customers from moving to other services. I have been very happy with the satellite service but directv customer service is horrible and getting worse. I have been very dissatisfied since AT&T took over.  

Message 1 of 4
Highlighted
ACE - Master

Re: Contract renewal not authorized

did you get an equipment upgrade or any discounts?

contracts do not just renew

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

I am a snowbird. I am in Florida in the winter and Maine in the summer. Last fall when I arrived in Florida I called to have my locals changed to my Florida address like I do every year and I was transferred to the movers agent and without my knowledge they had scheduled a service call to my location which I cancelled when I found out and they still tried to charge me over a $100.00 for a movers fee which they finally took off. The agent that finally handled the problem also said Directv had a promotion I qualified for. I was also told last fall that Directv has changed how they handle changes to local channels setup and I should go through tech support. That is what I did yesterday. I then get an email stating my contract has been extended without my approval because of the locals being changed. I spent over an hour on the phone last night trying trying to resolve the problem and when I requested a supervisor, twice, my request was ignored. I used to be able to give customer service my new zip and my locals were set up. Now it is almost impossible to do a zip code change. the Last agent I talked to said I have to have one account for Florida and a separate account for Maine and it was required by the government. I called dish and with them I can have one account and move back and forth as many times as I want.
Message 3 of 4
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎04-15-2019 10:35 AM

@billyrv 

DirecTV service agreements do not auto renew. They only renew if something is selected that comes with one (i.e. upgrade of equipment).

In the "snowbird" situation, things have changed. You can no longer just update the service address. AT&T has locked this down as accounts have always been intended to be for one address, not a back and forth situation. DirecTV didn't make much of a fuss before. Now they will only change the address with a move order. Move orders come with a 12 month agreement (24 months instead if you upgrade equipment as well).

The alternative is to have a 2nd account with its own equipment and services. You can suspend an account for up to 6 months within a 12 month period.

The service address affects what local channels are authorized, what professional sport teams are in-market for you, and taxes and RSN fees charged. To change the service address at anytime allowed people to violate this too easily. That is why it changed.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support