Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Charged for entire month

Charged for entire month

Customer for 23 years, always paid bill on time, was told I would need to lower my package to get a lower monthly bill some time back. I continued to be a customer, paying an expensive bill monthly with no movie channels. Finally I decided to switch to another company and had everything installed. I called DirecTV that day to cancel service and was told I should get a refund. It was the 15th of February, rep said the boxes were being shipped to me to mail back 4 genies and remotes. He first offered to lower my bill by a third of what I had been paying. I told him, I  was under contract with a new provider. I received an email confirming they received their equipment. So I'm expecting a  much lower bill since it was only for half a month. I was way off! My bill went up another $9! So I called and the lady on the phone finally understood what I was talking about and said the refund would be on the next bill, call back after the April 7th statement. I called today and talked to 2 reps, one of which is supposedly a supervisor. I'm getting nothing back! Essentially I paid for half a month's service that I didn't use! I  actually told this supervisor that I knew 4 customers thinking about leaving, that had no effect whatsoever. This really irks me. I never complain or take to the internet or social media to complain about bad service but I will every opportunity I get from now on. I will never be a customer again and I will warn people to stay away from Directv..

Message 1 of 30
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎04-10-2019 6:01 PM

Re: Charged for entire month

The agent you got gave you outdated information.

Regarding return of equipment, AT&T changed the process over a year ago. You take your boxes to a participating FedEx or UPS store (not USPS) for your free return, after the last day of service. They only manually use the old process to ship you a return kit if it is determined your service address is too far away from a participating shipper. That is of course only if the boxes are returnable in the first place. The only the 1st generation Genie and Mini Genie Client (HR34 and C31) is non-returnable, so all other Genie models are returnable and the only non-Genie that is returnable is the H25.

Mentioning other customers does nothing as they only consider your account. So those other customers must call in if they want to discuss their services. Accounts between customers are not linked which is why those sort of statements or threats do not help.

As for the partial month, that changed recently as well. Now cancellations for all of us occur on the last day of the service cycle, so billing and active service continue through accordingly. Here is the notice they sent in November 2018:

Please read this if you receive DIRECTV and/or AT&T Fixed Wireless service(s). We want to remind you that you’re billed in advance for recurring service(s) and/or programming charges and applicable fees based on the terms of your current service agreement(s) with us. Starting January 14, 2019, subject to applicable laws, we’re updating your agreement(s) to include your recurring service(s)/programming charges and fees won’t be prorated if you cancel the above service(s) on any day other than the last day of your billing cycle. Your service(s) will continue until the end of your billing cycle but you won’t get a refund (prorated credits) for any remaining days left in your billing cycle. For products not listed above, refer to their terms of service for more information.

Questions about this change? Go to att.com/ProrationPolicy for more information and to see the revised section of your service agreement(s).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 30

Well FedEx will pick up packages right from your doorstep and they did and Directv received their equipment, no issues there. Just because a huge conglomerate posts a change with their billing cycle, it doesn't make it right. No one should have to pay for services they don't receive. Lots of people switch their providers to get the best deal then turn around and go back to the original provider to get the special offer. I never did. I was their continuous customer for 23 years and they didn't care about me or you or any potential customers I may have sent their way if I had been treated fairly. It should matter if I say I know people that are liking my new system and they may lose those customers also. You don't grow your business by being the poster child for bad customer service. 

Message 3 of 30
ACE - Expert

DirecTV is not the first business to set all cancellations at end of bill cycle. They did their job sending out notice in advance.

However, equipment shouldn't have been returnable until after the last day of service. That is an issue they should resolve so that people can continue to receive the full service they are paying for.

You should call to cancel before having a new service, at least before it is installed anyway. That way you discuss the account and not miss out on any offers that may have mattered. And if the offers do not work for you, then you can be sure that the last day of the old service and first day of new service works out as best as possible (no overlaps and minimum time between so you are not without service for long).

It doesn't matter when you say that you "know people". Too often those statements are thrown around but are nothing more than fluff (not saying yours was, just in general). If those people care enough then they will call DirecTV to discuss their account. Companies do not get proof of who you may know and what service providers they have. Each account is handled separately, not one customer used as a "middle man" to another customer.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 30

I will sleep so well tonight now that I know it was all my fault and that DirecTV is always looking out for their customers. How very stupid of me to want money refunded when I could have just rearranged my schedule to accommodate their billing cycle. I guess my ignorance was showing when I called a while back to get my bill down and was offered the option to change my package with less channels to save money. Dummy me took it as an old customer since 1996 didn't matter like a new one does. I got educated! Thanks!

Message 5 of 30
ACE - Expert

@canthavenothing wrote:

I will sleep so well tonight now that I know it was all my fault and that DirecTV is always looking out for their customers. How very stupid of me to want money refunded when I could have just rearranged my schedule to accommodate their billing cycle. I guess my ignorance was showing when I called a while back to get my bill down and was offered the option to change my package with less channels to save money. Dummy me took it as an old customer since 1996 didn't matter like a new one does. I got educated! Thanks!

I don't think what I said warranted a sarcastic reply, but whatever.

I pointed out the change in their terms that happened months ago and was notified a couple months before that. Calling to discuss cancellation before being installed with someone else is a good rule of thumb so you don't get any surprises. The old way I preferred as was more flexible for us as the customer, but I can see why it would be needed to change it for the business.

Also I did mention I have issue with them processing return of equipment before end of the service cycle. I am hoping that is just a temporary issue, and not allowed by default. You should be able to use full service until the account actually closes.

The option to lower package to save money should not be a problem as that is reasonable. Discounts certainly are nice when available, but should not always be expected. As networks raise their costs to the TV providers year after year, sometimes we have to pay the normal cost (or at least close to it). That is where you review your services and see what you use. Remove and/or lower what options you don't use at all, or perhaps not enough to make it worth it. You can always increase your options later. Certainly ask if any new discounts are available, and great if there are, but should never be relied on to afford the service. Also just in case, I have learned over the years that grandfathered/expired packages tend not to qualify for the good discounts, and even in some cases the old package is more expensive to the newer version depending on how channels have rearranged.

As you have already gone with another provider, I hope at least the info better prepares you for any other services you have in the future.

Message 6 of 30
ACE - Master

@canthavenothing wrote:

Customer for 23 years, always paid bill on time, was told I would need to lower my package to get a lower monthly bill some time back.

i stopped reading here

----------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
Anything below the is a signature :
Note: This is a customer to customer forum, I am just a customer. Employees are identified as such.
Message 7 of 30
Teacher

@canthavenothing I was never one to complain publicly on forums or social media either until a few days ago. I swear this company can bring out the worst in people. I am a level headed, understanding, calm person without a temper, but the way they screw customers around makes my blood boil.

...It's hard not to have sarcastic replies, isn't it? I found myself doing the same thing on my post because the ACEs who answer these questions are so defensive they don't actually listen to our issues and sympathize with how we are being treated. Juniper is the most critical. They say they are just regular customers, which is true, but by "contributing" to this forum they get kickbacks -- so of course everything they say will be favorable to the company. 

They don't understand the constant frustration of dealing with this company. And by the cookie cutter answers they give, it's OBVIOUS they have never experienced the headache process of trying to get something taken care of. 

Like I said on another post in this forum-- It may be legal to do what the company does, but it's not fair and they have plssed off a LOT of people. They leave a bad taste in our mouths and we are the mouths that feed them their money to stay afloat. Not good business practices. 

Moral of the story, DirectTV/At&t doesn't care about their customers once they are locked into a contract. The only thing we as consumers can do is keep spreading the word about the dishonest practices this company gets away with. Like you said, I will be warning everyone I know and am going to write posts for all of our town's recommended service providers. Hopefully one of these days they will learn to play nice. 

Message 8 of 30

Thank you so much ! I have so much love for you!! To take the time to acknowledge my issue and post that beautiful, on the nail response is tops!! I know it's been said enough, it really didn't used to be that way. I can recall lots of laughs and genuine light banter with DirecTV reps before AT&T. I usually got a few laughs with them and got my tv expense to a rate best suited for me. I wasn't made to feel like a  looser that can't afford the DirecTV. Nope that's gone. 

Message 9 of 30

Forget to add that through this forum I have learned  that I don't have the special set of tools it apparently takes to be The Awesome One Of A Kind DirectTV customer anyway.....sarcasm...sprinkle it on everything!!

Message 10 of 30
ACE - Expert

@BB1987 

I receive no payment from DirecTV or AT&T. Not everything I say is favorable to the company. For example I am very against the equipment direction of the Genie-2 (HS17) which restricts customers to a Client only account, which is much worse than a regular Genie setup. As I stated regarding their new cancellation policy, though I can understand why they changed, I personally liked the old way better.

When I was a new consumer, certainly headaches were there as I learned the ins and outs of how companies work. After so many years, I understand how to deal with many situations better. Sometimes the company is fully in the right, sometimes the customer, and sometimes it is just in the grey where there is not a perfect solution for both sides.

In the end AT&T made a business decision that was fully their right to do so with the intention to solve issues on the company side. Yes it took some flexibility from our side, but hopefully what is gained by lower call volumes regaining that time for other tasks (time is money for a business) will outweigh the inconvenience on our side. In then end they had to make the best decision for the business with all factors considered. There will not always be a perfect solution for all sides.

Do not expect other service companies to be different as allowances in the terms of service that they can be adjusted by the company as they see fit, with proper notification, is common. Companies though try to have a good report with their customers and follow the law an agreements sent forth, should never be considered to "care" about a customer as a neighbor or friend would. I tend to see the "don't care about customers" thrown around, and though there should be a basic form of respect and decency, they are a company in the end, not a personal friend. I feel many people do not separate those levels of acquaintance. 

Message 11 of 30

Congratulations on continuing to take up the cause and fight the good fight for AT&T and DirecTV. I was unaware of their great suffrage. Bless you for taking up such a needy cause. I guess that's right up there with volunteering at the homeless shelter. Maybe we can start a penny campaign or a food bank to help out. Rock on there Juniper.

Message 12 of 30
ACE - Expert

@canthavenothing wrote:

Congratulations on continuing to take up the cause and fight the good fight for AT&T and DirecTV. I was unaware of their great suffrage. Bless you for taking up such a needy cause. I guess that's right up there with volunteering at the homeless shelter. Maybe we can start a penny campaign or a food bank to help out. Rock on there Juniper.

Yeah, I can see you would make great ACE material 🙂

Message 13 of 30
ACE - Expert

@canthavenothing 

I wish the cancellation policy had not changed. But I do understand in the end a business must make decisions that are right for them, even if it is not always best for the customer. Though I agree it would have been nice if they had put in a clause that says it doesn't apply to currently running service agreements until they ended, but they chose to make it applicable for everyone at the same time as is their right.

Even though my point of view and information you don't like, I have kept my responses polite and civil so your sarcastic hostility seems very inappropriate. I will be around to discuss with others and help where I can, but I will not feed in to the toxicity that has been displayed.

Message 14 of 30

I sincerely want to say@Juniper, you weigh in with arguments that validate AT&T's policy.  I personally think it's jacked up to pay for anything that you had turned off, regardless. I honestly think Juniper could raise awareness for any cause!! I do get that Juniper is trying to be helpful and for that I thank you and wish you well. I didn't mean to be mean. 

Message 15 of 30
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support