Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Charge for regional sports fee ?

Contributor

Charge for regional sports fee ?

I was charged $1.97 on my last bill for regional sports fee ? What is this ?
Message 1 of 17
Former Employee
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎03-28-2016 11:57 AM

Re: Charge for regional sports fee ?

Regional Sports Networks (RSNs) are cable television networks that provide coverage of local or regional sports teams, both professional and college teams. This includes national channels like the Big Ten and SEC Networks, which bring you games and coverage from some of the most highly followed college athletic conferences. In certain areas of the country (determined by ZIP code), DIRECTV also carries multiple RSNs. The Regional Sports Fee is a fee that is related to higher costs incurred for carrying those networks.

Regional Sports Fees are used to pay for Regional Sports Networks in specific regions. We package the fee as a Regional Sports Fee so that only the customers with access to the Regional Sports Networks are responsible for the fee. The fee varies depending on your market and the Regional Sports Networks available in your market.

Tags (2)
Message 2 of 17
Mentor

In order to watch SportsTime Ohio, I have to move up a package level (Entertainment to Choice) plus a Regional Sports Network fee.  I am getting charged twice.

SportsTime Ohio was originally for ALL the Cleveland area on ALL packages.

Message 3 of 17
Anonymous
Not applicable

I was told it was for channels 601 to 611. I asked to cancel it and was told I couldn't

Message 4 of 17
Contributor

I am charged 4.93 plus tax for channels 601-611 and can't cancel.

Message 5 of 17
Contributor

Under what authority are we required to pat the regional sports fee as I never subscribe or use a sports network.

Message 6 of 17
ACE - Expert

Everyone pays the RSF unless you get a package that doesn't have RSN.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 7 of 17
ACE - Expert

@medora

TV providers have charges for RSN for years but tend to be bundled into other charges. A few years ago Directv had the RSN fee calculated into the package cost. What happened is with rising costs and that RSNs were so different from each other, ranging from $0 in areas that have no RSN to over $7 if you are in New York, Directv itemized it on the bill for transparency. The RSNs are in at least the Choice package, so the packages below it (Family, Select, and Entertainment) do not have the RSN fee.

Since the RSN fee was itemized, Directv came out with a new package Preferred Xtra. This swaps out most sport channels, including RSNs so the fee goes away. Base cost is $2 less than Xtra as well. It adds in several non sports channels, including Hallmark Movies & Mysteries which used to only be available as part of an add on (HD Extra Pack). So if you watch channels that need Choice, Xtra, or Ultimate than Preferred Xtra is most likely the better option. You have to call Directv to request this package, it not available to select online and not even advertised, presumably because it does not showcase sports which is one of Directv's biggest selling points. But this package is great for people who watch little to no sports, like my home.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 8 of 17
Teacher

I am so upset that I've been paying for a regional Sports fee when I don't want it. I don't watch sports so why do I have to spend $7.99 every month for something I don't want. Yeah they say there's other options but when I called before they told me I would get a credit and every time I called they didn't tell me to change packages to get rid of it or I would have I'm ready to cancel now go with Spectrum. Just a way to get more money from you I'm paying too much with them now.

Message 9 of 17
ACE - Expert

@Phylcar, you don't need to pay for the Regional Sports Networks.  Just change your package ....

https://forums.att.com/t5/DIRECTV-Account/What-are-the-Sports-Pack-and-Regional-Sports-Charges-for/m...

Message 10 of 17
Highlighted
ACE - Expert

@Phylcar

They cannot just credit the RSN fee because your package has RSNs.

What you need to do instead is call Directv 1-800-531-5000 and change your package. If the channels you watch are in Choice or higher, request the Preferred Xtra package.

Message 11 of 17
Contributor

Would I lose the Big 10 network if I swapped out for the Preferred Xtra package?

Message 12 of 17
ACE - Expert

Here is the package. Ignore the Sonic Tap music channels listed as I captured it before they changed to Music Choice (and shutdown of Chiller). It is for those that watch little to no sports.

Preferred Xtra Lineup.PNG

Message 13 of 17
Tutor

Scam, pure scam.  The regional sports fee should be disclosed at the time customers shop and compare pricing.  Instead we only discover this extra fee when we reviewed our bills.  The fee should be included with the package price.  or the sports channels with the fee could be a add-on channel.  Scam.  After my contract is up I will change TV carriers.  Maybe even just drop TV subscription all together. 

Message 14 of 17
ACE - Expert

@cakley 

The RSN fee used to be included in the package price. But with increasing RSN costs that are different based on where you live, similar to tax, DirecTV started itemizing it a few years ago making it more transparent. It can range from just over $1 to over $7 (like in New York). Other providers still hide the RSN fee in the cost. So much of America values sports so the channel owners leverage this to force TV providers to include them.

If you do not watch RSNs then go to a package that doesn't have them which would be Family, Select, Entertainment, and Preferred Xtra. The package Preferred Xtra is cheaper than Xtra but with more non-sport channels in place of the sport channels it removes. Since many front line agents seem to be unfamiliar with the Preferred Xtra package, they might consider it a retention/save type offer now (after all sports is a big selling point for DirecTV). So if you are in Choice, Xtra, or Ultimate just call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 and when you get the voice system say "cancel" to route you directly and request Preferred Xtra as you don't watch the RSNs.

Not a scam, just sports is a standard in the TV industry. Shouldn't be a surprise if you don't ignore your bills or order confirmation when changing services.

Message 15 of 17
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support