Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Change local channel locations

Highlighted
Contributor

Change local channel locations

My wife and I travel in an RV during the summer.  We take Direct TV with us on the road using a portable sat dish on a tripod. It is a SWiM system providing HD programing.  However, when more that about 150 miles from our home location we don't get our local channels.  Is there a way to change our account so we can get the local channels in the area we are visiting?

Message 1 of 7
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎08-04-2019 2:17 PM

Re: Change local channel locations

Not anymore, AT&T no longer allows you to temporarily change your service address.  You need a OTA antenna connected to the TVs digital tuner to get local channels. 

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 7
Contributor

Thought so. Dish allows it. I might look into Dish Network. Thanks.

Message 3 of 7
ACE - Expert

@dscheibe 

Too many people would leave some boxes at home when they took a box or 2 in the RV. The service address determines in addition to locals authorized (if within the satellite spot beam of course), the viewing market of professional sport teams, and taxes paid. This is why technically all active boxes on the account are supposed to be at the same service address per Federal regulations. DirecTV simply didn't worry about it too much, which AT&T has corrected. So service address can no longer be changed simply upon request as it needs a full Movers order. This also applies to those who may have a 2nd/seasonal home, as they are intended to have 2 separate accounts to avoid the issue, simply suspending the account not currently in use as needed.

Hopefully DirecTV's new Local Channel Connector (LCC) will be ready for full launch before long so we can all use the antenna connection through the DirecTV box without switching inputs. Currently only compatible with 2nd/3rd gen Genie (HR44/HR54). If you have an earlier box, you could search around to see if you could acquire an AM21 which was the earlier version.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 7
ACE - Expert

@CorpsRLosers wrote:

DO YOURSELF A FAVOR: DUMP this pathetic company and just go elsewhere! They are TOTAL LIARS!! They will tell you anything to get you to commit! They are money hungry snobs! They have dropped CBS & NBC, and are saying it’s not their fault! LIES & THEFT is all you get from these losers!!! 

The CBS and NBC situation is a two-way street. At the moment DirecTV and local affiliate Nexstar, as well as CBS (they have a few stations owned directly), are in negotiations for the next carriage deal. Channel owner wants to raise costs for what they feel their service is worth, TV provider wants to minimize any rate increase as when their operating costs go up then customer bills go up which doesn't make for happy customers. Yes they are negotiating for their own business interest, but minimizing costs as much as possible is more in our (the customer) interest then the channel owner raising costs even more.

If within range, use a regular antenna for the free broadcast. Otherwise watch one of your many other channels that you are paying for. To me going to pay TV for just the otherwise free locals is not worth it. I went to pay TV for the variety my locals couldn't provide me.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 5 of 7
Scholar

Is there a way to use VPN to spoof our location to be able to get Fox where it is available? 

Message 6 of 7
ACE - Expert

@Beasldav wrote:

Is there a way to use VPN to spoof our location to be able to get Fox where it is available? 

No

Message 7 of 7
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support