Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Change TV package

Tutor

Change TV package

I'm a new customer, only beginning DirecTV service only 5 days ago.  I realize I've signed up for a TV package which contains more channels than I want/need.  How long do I wait before asking to switch to a "lesser" package?

Message 1 of 11
Former Employee
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Powrus
‎07-26-2018 12:11 PM

Re: Change TV package

Generally at the 13th month mark once the initial promotional period is over you can drop down packages to suit your needs.

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 11
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Powrus
‎07-27-2018 5:30 AM

You can change packages at any time. However during the 1st year you want to be carful to find out the minimum package required to keep your intro discounts. That way you don't end up raising the bill if the discounts were more than what you saved by lowering the package.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 3 of 11
Tutor

I can't change my package. My son moved out and took his TV with him. For 2 days now, I have been trying to get his TV and sports package removed from my account. Today I'm told by a service rep. & his boss that since I didn't set up the account I'm not allowed to make any changes. I explained that my wife set up the account and she died in February and that I had been paying the bill every month since February. So the way I understand my current situation, I'll be required to pay for my son's TV & sports package even though he has moved out and carried his TV with him. The BOSS advised me of this but did advise that I could drive 40 miles to an AT&T store and show them Power of Attorney or some other proof that my wife had died, such as a death certificate. Who gets Power of Attorney after their spouse dies, just to be able to be charged ONLY for services rendered. When a spouse dies is it really necessary to go through an act of Congress just to have one TV and  a sports package removed from one's account? Is this really the best job of customer service AT&T can do? The management of AT&T must have graduated from Harvard or Yale to have come up with such nonsense.

Message 4 of 11
Former Employee

@rcmoon,

try giving us a new call at 1.800.531.5000 - hopefully we can work something out for you without needing to jump through hoops. Are you still in a contract? If not and you are paying month by month, we could just drop the account and reset you back up with everything YOU need. No sports, no extra tv's. Just the stuff you want.

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Message 5 of 11
ACE - Expert

@rcmoon

You will need to call Directv 1-800-531-5000. When you get the voice system, I suggest using the keyword "cancel" to get you to their cancellation/retention department for your highest chance at experienced agents, also this is a case of retaining your account as a new one cannot be created in this situation. Let the agent know the account holder is deceased and as the surviving spouse you are choosing not to cancel it but take it over into your name. A deceased spouse is the only time account ownership can change. Once ownership is changed into your name then you can make any changes to the account that you need.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 11
Tutor

Junniper, thx for your reply
Message 7 of 11
Tutor

tg, thx for the reply. Even though I have been satisfied with Directtv until now, I am laying plans to cancel the whole package.
Message 8 of 11
Former Employee

@rcmoon

On the off chance you still are under contract with dtv, that will be a cancellation fee of $20 per a month still remaining. which you will basically lose even if you did reconnect later in the future due to the account being in you wives name unless you get it changed.

don't forget if you do quit, to take the boxes down to your nearest FedEx or UPS store as soon as possible so you don't get a equipment fee.

Message 9 of 11
ACE - Expert

If account holder is deceased, canceling the account instead of spouse taking over, requires the agent to submit waiver on the ECF as it would not apply. If the spouse takes it over into their name, from that point forward they are responsible for the service agreement.

Message 10 of 11
Tutor

I drove 40 miles one way to present my wife's death certificate. Was able then to cancel my son's package (who had moved out). While there I canceled my package also. Now I have to transport the boxes 40 miles to turn them in at a UPS store. So, dropping my account cost me 2 half days of work and 160 miles of travel. Wonder why ppl are cutting the cables?

Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support