Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Change Service Address

Contributor

Change Service Address

We have a 2nd home and go between our primary and 2nd home switching our service address to wherever we are headed. Is there a way to change my service address online or do i have to call each time? Technical support said i could do it online but everyone else from Directv said I would have to call each time.
Message 1 of 113
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by cbowle
‎07-23-2017 7:48 PM

Re: Change Service Address

No, you have to call each time to change the service address.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 113
Teacher

You do need to call each time. Unfortunately it doesn't always go smoothly. See a copy of my forum post below:

We have one dtv account with receivers at our year-round home and at our vacation home.
When we arrive at either location, we need to call in to customer support to update our service location so that we receive local channels and networks for the appropriate location.
This worked perfectly for about 5 years. Last year it became an ordeal almost every time we call to have the address changed by dtv agents. Most of the time they end up transferring us to tech support who can sometimes resolve the issue quickly. But this process and phone call has steadily increased from about 5 minutes, including hold time, to at least 30 minutes and as much as 90 minutes.
Needless to say, this is very frustrating.
Is anyone else having these problems?

Message 3 of 113

We love Direct TV, but they need to do something with customer's ability to contact technical support - ARE YOU LISTENEING DRIECT TV.  Here's my latest experience: First I got the automated system that doesn't understand 3/4 of the replies. First time I asked for technical support and got some rep (not in technical support) who did not understand I was simply trying to change our service address so hung up. Second attempt wasn't much better - I was asked to confirm the phone number associated with the account - replied verbally three times (talking like a robot) wit the 10 digit phone number and then entered the number on the dial pad once. Each time 'Susie' responded with only 9 numbers and asked me to confirm!  Miraculously I was not (yet) disconnected but was put on hold for 10 minutes B4 tech support came on.  I had to answer more (some of the same) questions. Tech guy finally started to change the service address and - you guessed it - the call was disconnected!  Again re-dialed the support number and I'm still on hold (20 minutes and counting)! Hurrah - finally got connected - talked with Bill who quickly and efficiently changed the service address. In summary, 45+ minutes trying to contact tech support and 3 minutes to actually make the service address change.  Surely Direct TV you can do better.

Message 4 of 113
Contributor

I just changed addresses I already have AT&T u verse and they have it at my new appt. the appt told me all I had to do was plug my boxes in but it’s not working what do I do? 

Message 5 of 113
ACE - Expert

This is the DTV satellite you need to post in the uverse forum.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 6 of 113
ACE - Expert

This is the Directv customer to customer forum. You will need to call AT&T 1-800-288-2020. If you had your own Uverse account, but now have an apartment that provides Uverse service it might not be as simple as plug an play.

Message 7 of 113
Teacher

We have a similar problem. We are full time RVers moving sometimes daily or we might stay in one area for a few weeks. We have had the same problem. Once AT&T took over it went from a 5 to 10 minute phone call to 45 minutes to an hour to get anywhere and still no local channels. We've tried multiple times and haven't  had any success. They use to have a special Recreation Vehicle support team but They all say they are RV experts. How in the world do you run a business like this.

Message 8 of 113
ACE - Expert

Just FYI. Some areas have their locals on different satellites and standard RV equipment won't receive the, You have to have the correct receiver and dish.

Message 9 of 113

We have the Weingard Traveler roof mounted (Direct TV) dish with the Genie receiver and 2 mini-receivers. We pick up the 3 AT&T satellites (in HD) just fine and the receivers and remotes are great technology. I found that asking for "technical support" AFTER pressing 0 or requesting a "representative" (i.e., bypassing silly voice prompts), is the fastest way to get you to the right group; i.e., technical support. After reaching technical support, say "I want to pick up the local stations at my current location so please temporarily change my service address to ......

Confusion over semantics, language, and dialects can get confusing if you end up talking to the wrong dept/person so make sure you're talking to "Technical Support" before making your request.
Message 10 of 113
Teacher

I am going through this right now. You are right the automated machine doesn't understand anything I say. I said Technical support and then had to listen to how to pay my bill. I have been disconnected twice. I am now on hold. Years ago you used to be able to use your remote control to change your service zip code and in 5 minutes all your boxes worked perfectly. Now it takes an hour to go through their phone service. We live in out motorhome and travel the country so sometimes we have to change our service adress every week.

It's getting kind of old!

Message 11 of 113
ACE - Expert

Never heard of that as there is no reason to change your service address if you are watching TV at home so why would DTV have a way to change it with the remote? You can change the zip code showing on the receiver but that only gives you the aiming data it doesn't change the service address.

Why not get an RV account to get the DNS channels that the major networks use to send their programs to their local affiliates but you will not get the local news or independent channels?

Message 12 of 113
Teacher

We are Rv full time. We need to get the major networks so we can get the networks we need. We are on the move weekly. We’ve been trying to get this service for months. Please help!! Very frustrated
Message 13 of 113
ACE - Expert

Get an RV account, an RV dealer that installs DTV or a RV dish maker can help start the paper work.

Message 14 of 113

We have been DTV subscribers for years, mainly because we could move receivers from house to RV and back.  We also have the Network package - East Coast channels - for which we pay extra $$$ each month.  So network channels are not an issue.  What we would LIKE is to be able to change the service address to receive local channels while on the road.  Specifically up-to-the-minute weather.  Kansas in springtime is a classic example.

After reading these postings I am super disappointed in DTV.  DISH, BTW, makes service address changes a very simple process.  I wish now we had gone with DISH from the beginning. 

Message 15 of 113
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support