Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Cancelling DIRECTV after install....

Teacher

Cancelling DIRECTV after install....

I had my DTV installed last Saturday 12/16.  I have had DTV in the past with minor complaints.  About a year ago I switched to cable.  Recently I changed my wireless plan and they promised me DTV for a super discounted price, I took the deal.  Long story short.....I have had a heck of a time with DTV so far.  I have reached out to their CS/tech support multiple times throughout the last few days.  I was given nothing but a bunch of "lip service" and they didn't even remotely help me solve my problems.  My online account does not work properly, I wanted to upgrade my plan.  I also am NOT happy with the On-Demand as the download takes an hour or more.  And yes, I have very fast good internet.  I want to cancel the service.  Am I stuck in the 24 month contract mess already?  No satisfaction guarantee??  Of course nobody at AT&T is available to offer me any help.  I have boycotted Comcast (cable) for over 10 years.  But I CAN say that over the past year that I have had them I had no issues.  I want to go back to cable.  

Message 1 of 21
ACE - Expert

Re: Cancelling DIRECTV after install....

Most channels throttle their On Demand download speeds to near real time.  So call DTV and cancel then pay the ETF as you only had 24 hours to cancel after the install without the ETF.

Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 21
Teacher

Yea I am not paying them nearly $500 to cancel, ridiculous.  Sad, I am now seeing so many complaints of how they are so crummy nowadays and get people into 24 mo contracts.  What a bummer.....they used to be decent.

Message 3 of 21
ACE - Expert

Directv On Demand is only connecting you to the Channel's servers. The individual channels regulate their upload/your download. Just wait to see what happens now that Net Neutrality has been repealed. Not looking forward to seeing some of the old stunts pulled before Net Neutrality was put into place.

If you have other issues with Directv service, perhaps we as customers could help. More details such as full symptoms and model of boxes please.

If you cancel, your ECF would be valid. Companies avoid a satisfaction guarantee waiver of the ECF otherwise everybody at any time could cancel without an ECF just saying I'm not satisfied.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 21
Teacher

I am not saying I disagree with an ETF/ECF depending on services rendered.  I understand paying for the install and of course returning equipment.  I don't however think a customer should have to pay $480 for services less than 30 days (or something reasonable).  I am not expecting to pay them nothing, but I don't think I should have to pay $480.  The amount of problems I have had in one week.....

Message 5 of 21
ACE - Expert

ECF is valued at $20 for each month remaining. So each month completed it comes down of course.

If you would detail the other issues, perhaps we can help there. We are customers so do not make Directv's ECF policy, but try to help each other out where we can.

Message 6 of 21
Teacher

Yes I can easily see that the ETF is $20 per month remaining.  I also understand this is a customer board.  I did not ask for anyone to solve the problem here on this forum.  I am seeking advice from others who have dealt with this nonsense.  Rest assured I have spent plenty of time reading common pre-loaded "answers" from all the AT&T reps over the last week. 

Message 7 of 21
ACE - Expert

If you don't want help in fixing whatever issues you have, and simply want to cancel, then you discuss with Directv. You have to call 1-800-531-5000 to cancel, but if you want to "plead your case" regarding their answer about the ECF, you can go to @ATTDIRECTVCare and send them a private message. May take a few days for them to respond as it is not "live" support but a form of correspondence. This is not a guarantee they would adjust the ECF, just another avenue of support to seek.

Message 8 of 21
Teacher

Yea I have tried to seek help from them about the issues I've had.  They just give me the runaround and don't fix anything.  I was also scammed by the CS rep in store saying id get $300 rewards.  The website is saying I only get $100.  The whole thing has been a bunch of lies.

Message 9 of 21
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by (Scholar)
Accepted by Tour_Guy_Bob
‎12-26-2017 5:39 AM

Directv has no in store reps, they don't have stores. Even AT&T stores don't work for the Directv side, so are similar to being a 3rd party retailer that they have been for years. Regardless of who you order service through, no matter what the salesperson says, read the order confirmation from the company to see what you are getting before your are installed and activated.

At this point you have your options:

Call Driectv 1-800-531-5000 for official support for your technical issue. They have a 90 day coverage on the work done so could send a tech out at no charge, if the exact issue needs it.

Call Directv to cancel and follow up with them by private message to see if the ECF would be adjusted at all. Not a guarantee so you risk still being liable for it.

Post details of tech issue in forum for other customers to assist. Sometimes issues are resolved easier when speaking from the customer perspective, not always, but it is a chance. And may be quicker then how far scheduled out a Directv tech appointment could be.

If your order confirmation does not show the same offer of rewards card as promised in whatever store you were at, then I would submit a complaint at that store. If it was an AT&T store you can also send complaint the private message route. If it is not an AT&T store, when you next speak to Directv you could have them look up the order received to see what 3rd party retailer that sales agent falls under and provide you that dealers contact info so you could submit complaint to them about the order not matching what you were told.

Whatever you decide, good luck.

Tags (1)
Message 10 of 21
Contributor

That's a lie that they monitor. I had a lady come to my house offer me a deal and said I would get everything I was getting from uverse 450 for 129.00 for 24 months my bill has been 220.00 never was 129.00 as promised to switch. I have 3 months left on contract. I want to go back to uverse

Message 11 of 21
ACE - Expert

@Savann

Any sales person coming to your house is a 3rd party sales agent, doesn't work directly for AT&T or DIRECTV. Channel lineups between DIRECTV and Uverse are not exactly the same, sometimes a channel is only with one not both. No matter who you ordered through, it is always important to check the order confirmation sent by the company to see if it is as expected. That is your chance to discuss the order, make any modifications to it if needed, or even cancel it if it will not work the way you want.

If bill does not match your DIRECTV order confirmation, then call DIRECTV 1-800-531-5000 about the issue. If the bill matches the order confirmation, but not what the door-to-door person "said" then you will need to contact the 3rd party dealer they work for. You can have DIRECTV check the order to see what 3rd party dealer they fall under and give you the contact info. It is situations like this where I do not go through door-to-door people, no matter the company.

Message 12 of 21
Contributor

Keep at it!!!!!!!!!!!  I experienced the same treatment..........nothing but lie after lie and misleading information for days on end.  I talked to at least 6 different service people, all whom could fix the issue and get my Reward Visa card.  None did crap!   I was told $200 Visa and it was written on my sales order agreement...tthen when I got my reward letter to claim the card..they only offered $100.  Oh , no .....it's on.  I made it my mission to get what I was promised at this point.  I spent over 6 hours combined time, on the phone and or chat, with 3 straight hours being the last communication.  I told the lady "I will not hang up until this is resolved-I have nothing better to do".  after being passed around to 3 different people that day,  I have $100 gift card in hand and $100 gift card in the "processing" stage according to the rewards center.  We shall see.   The crappy part is, I have been an ATT customer for almost 20 years and I have NEVER been treated badly until now....I am so disappointed in them. I have yet to go through my Direct TV bill and see what the sleazy, little, slick talking salesman actually got me for.  I have a bad taste in my mouth after all of this.  Total BULL FECES  and the worst customer service ever!  I still may cancel it all.........[Per Guidelines:  Keep it Relevant and Appropriate].

Message 13 of 21
Contributor

I got completely scammed and suckered into something that I didn't want because it wasn't explained to me. I was told I would get DirecTV and internet for $75 a month. I agreed to it and once the tech came to install the TV I was not home my husband was and he did not realize he was signing a two-year agreement and that internet was not a part of that. My bill should have been around $70 including tax for the TV but I just received a bill for $193. This is absolutely ridiculous and I was completely conned. To say I'm upset is an understatement.

Message 14 of 21
ACE - Expert

The 2 year contract and the price was spelled out in the email DTV sent before the install so why didn't you know?

Message 15 of 21
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support