Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Billing me for something I don’t watch

Contributor

Billing me for something I don’t watch

I do not appreciate being billed for a sports fee.  I don’t watch sports. So disappointed.  I am a long time customer and was told I would just have to pay it. Terrible customer service.  What happened?  Used to have much better customer service. 

Message 1 of 10
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎03-27-2019 6:09 PM

Re: Billing me for something I don’t watch

The Regional Sport Network (RSN) fee used to be in the package cost. Then DirecTV changed it so it was transparent and itemized it on the bill. That change was a few years ago so should not be surprised by the RSN fee at this point.

However, around the same time DirecTV came out with a new package called Preferred Xtra. It is $2 less in base cost than Xtra, but because it removes the RSN fee (since it has no RSNs), it makes the total cost closer to Choice. A nice alternative for those who watch little to no sports. It even adds in a few channels from the Ultimate level, plus Hallmark Movies & Mysteries. Since a lot of front line agents are unaware of this package, I can only assume it was moved to just being a retention offer. So call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 and when you get the voice system say "cancel" which should route you directly. Once speaking with their retention/cancellation department, request the Preferred Xtra package (assuming it is still available) as you are not a sports watcher and so do not want to pay for the professional teams that are in your market that you don't watch.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 10
ACE - Expert

All providers have this fee, DTV shows it on the bill.  We all pay for channels we don't watch.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 10
Contributor

Thank you. I spent 40 minutes on the phone trying to get help. I
Message 4 of 10
ACE - Expert

You're welcome. If you do get a chance to ask their retention department about Preferred Xtra, could you post back and let the community know if it is still available?

I know one of DirecTV's biggest selling points is sports, but hoping this package is still available. It was needed years before it came out, but better late than never I guess, as long as it is still an option (even if not part of the standard packages and intro offers).

Message 5 of 10
Tutor

Chat is telling me now that the Preferred Xtra plan does still result in the Regional Sports Network fee. Pretty disappointed. I'm new to the state and the fee was never mentioned to me at all.

Message 6 of 10
ACE - Expert
Solution
Accepted by ACE - Expert (ACE - Expert)
Accepted by litzdog911
‎04-23-2019 3:54 PM

@l9veme wrote:

Chat is telling me now that the Preferred Xtra plan does still result in the Regional Sports Network fee. Pretty disappointed. I'm new to the state and the fee was never mentioned to me at all.

Chat agent is wrong. Preferred Xtra, unlike the normal Xtra package, does not have the RSN channels. As such it cannot charge the RSN fee. That is the biggest point of the package as it for people who watch little to no sports.

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 10
Tutor

Is there any more information about the Preferred Xtra plan? I am told that there is no way at all to avoid Regional Sports Fees.

Message 8 of 10
ACE - Expert

@l9veme wrote:

Is there any more information about the Preferred Xtra plan? I am told that there is no way at all to avoid Regional Sports Fees.

The only way to avoid the RSN fee is to be on a package that doesn't have the RSNs, or live in an area that is not in a professional team's market. Packages without RSNs are Family, Select, Entertainment, and Preferred Xtra.

Preferred Xtra is similar to Xtra. It is $2 cheaper in base cost, and removes the RSN fee since it doesn't have the RSNs. It added a few channels that were normally at the Ultimate package level. So it is for those that watch little to no sports. Because of the RSN fee removal in addition to the lower base cost of the package, it can be similar in total price as if you had the Choice package.

The package is still available, but per unknown or not offered by front line agents, I believe it has been moved to being a retention offer. Call DirecTV and when you get the voice system say "cancel" which should route you directly. I understand DirecTV's biggest selling points is the sports variety, but I wish that Preferred Xtra was more in the light like the other packages.

Message 9 of 10
Tutor

They are now telling me the plan no longer exists.  This is the loyalty department, I have spoken on the phone a few months ago, and chatted now. I have been told twice my plan was changed to it, and it wasn't.

"when I try to make the change the system does not allow. Error message showing due to the package no longer being available going forward. This would be why your package is still showing for the xtra package instead of the preferred xtra."

Message 10 of 10
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support