Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Being charged for services after cancelling

Contributor

Being charged for services after cancelling

Let’s start at the beginning.... I have been a customer with Directv since circa 2005.  Always pay my bill in full and on time.  Recently I discovered that I could save $160/mo by switching to a new provider and still get the same channels.  Upon contacting AT&T, they were unable to match the deal so a decision (a smart one was made). 

I first attempted to cancel my account in mid July, however, after 3 different times sitting on hold for over 30-40 minutes each and the being disconnected, I didn’t reach a person until the 4th time.  As the person spoke and I began to answer, I was hung up on.  

I had to work so  I had to deal with it later.  A few days later I called... managed to get through and tried to cancel my account.  The rep told me that even though I was calling on 7/23, my account couldn’t be canceled until 8/20.  I insisted I wanted it canceled immediately and he told me I couldn’t.  I asked to speak to a supervisor and he told me there wasn’t one and his word was final.  

I then contacted social media media customer service only to be told that even though it was AT&T’s system malfunction I hat prevented me from canceling prior to the next billing date, I still had to pay for a full month of service I didn’t want, didn’t use and don’t need.  Two different people telling me it’s “policy” and no exceptions.  Which I find very unfair considering it was AT&T’s mistake - not mine.  

When i I asked for a supervisor again I was told they are the top.  And they could not provide me with any other information on how to even try to reach someone else.  So... I am doing that on my own. 

I will go to social media tactics, the FCC, the BBB, the public utility commission and media outlets of necessary.  I expect this unreasonable fee to be waived.  And I expect a reply. 

Message 1 of 4
ACE - Expert

Re: Being charged for services after cancelling

Unfortunately what the agent told you was correct. As of this year billing covers the full billing cycle. Canceling a few days in doesn't mean you are credited for any remaining days in the service month. They updated the Terms of Service, notice November 2018 with starting January 2019. So there is nothing to dispute.

Please read this if you receive DIRECTV, AT&T U-verse® TV, AT&T Internet, AT&T Phone, and/or AT&T Fixed Wireless service(s). We want to remind you that you’re billed in advance for recurring service(s) and/or programming charges and applicable fees based on the terms of your current service agreement(s) with us. Starting January 14, 2019, subject to applicable laws, we’re updating your agreement(s) to include your recurring service(s)/programming charges and fees won’t be prorated if you cancel the above service(s) on any day other than the last day of your billing cycle. Your service(s) will continue until the end of your billing cycle but you won’t get a refund (prorated credits) for any remaining days left in your billing cycle. For products not listed above, refer to their terms of service for more information.

Questions about this change? Go to att.com/ProrationPolicy for more information and to see the revised section of your service agreement(s).

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 4
Contributor

Thanks, however, you seem to be having the same issue as the person I spoke
with on the phone. I understand the policy that began in January. My
issue is.... I had tried to cancel before the new bill was generated but
was unable too due to AT&T’s phones booting me out of the system
repeatedly. They even acknowledged issues with wait times etc that day.

My purpose for writing is to have the last month fee waived since it was my
intention to cancel in time but was denied due to the company’s issue ...
an issue that basically forced me into another month.
Message 3 of 4
ACE - Expert

If you called to cancel before the cycle started over, then you should only be billed for the service month you were in. If systems were down, then they wouldn't have been able to note the account. If calling back was still within the same service month then they should get this corrected, but if your next call was after the service cycle started over then you might be out of luck if they don't have a way to verify when you originally called.

Call DirecTV, at voice system say "cancel" to route you directly, and hopefully there is record of calling in time. Writing here will not get you adjustments as this is a public forum, not customer service.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support