Explore & discover

Helpful Links

ATT/DTV Scam Call

Contributor

ATT/DTV Scam Call

There is someone calling me from ATT saying that I qualify for a discount that requires a $280 payment upfront to cover the first 7 months and then pay $39.99 for the remaining months on a contract free 17 month plan. The person I was speaking with said he is Ricky Johnson but the name didn't fit the accent and I'm worried that this is a scam but then again it was ATT that showed up on my caller ID. This guy was able to see how much my bill is which almost made it believable . I told him I would discuss this offer with the family and call back later. He provided a call back number of 888-258-0681, ext. number 1. I called ATT using the 611 customer service code and found that the number provided to call back is not in their system at ATT or DTV. Beware ATT and DTV customers!!!! I get a call every month but decided to answer this time and it was a scam.

Message 1 of 4
Associated Member
Solution
Accepted by Associated Member (Associated Member)
Accepted by Djinni
‎10-18-2018 12:37 PM

Re: ATT/DTV Scam Call

As some who works in the Winback department I can definitively state that this is fraud. While the number that I call from does not allow inbound calls and thus might not be in the systems our calls are recorded and can easily be looked up and listened to. I am not sure how they were able to see your bill. I would change the password for your AT&T/DTV account. The only times we ask for an upfront payment is if there is a use tax adjustment for your state, you are ordering 5 or more pieces of equipment (we can typically cover 4, unless it is the family package where we do not cover any equipment), or if a down payment is required based on the internet and/or tv credit check

*I am a trusted partner that is associated with AT&T, and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 4
ACE - Professor

This is a well known scam here. These scammers "spoof" toll free numbers so they appear legitimate.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 3 of 4
Highlighted
Former Employee

@Shorty41

Please click the link below and have a read.

https://forums.att.com/t5/DIRECTV-Account/MUST-READ-An-in-depth-look-into-scam-phone-calls/td-p/5647...

If this reply helped you please use Accept solution to mark it as an Accepted Solution.
Message 4 of 4
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support