Explore & discover

Helpful Links

771 Blocked Channels

771 Blocked Channels

About 1/3 of my channels are blocked due to a dispute with the owner of the service, however, my bill does not reflect the loss of these programs.  There is a small credit on my account but not nearly enough to compensate for the disruption.  I have checked with people who use DIRECTV but live in the city and they say they are not having this issue.  Why is that?  Because I live in a remote area and depend on a satellite service? 

Message 1 of 11
ACE - Expert

Re: 771 Blocked Channels

@challenged5x wrote:

About 1/3 of my channels are blocked due to a dispute with the owner of the service, however, my bill does not reflect the loss of these programs.  There is a small credit on my account but not nearly enough to compensate for the disruption.  I have checked with people who use DIRECTV but live in the city and they say they are not having this issue.  Why is that?  Because I live in a remote area and depend on a satellite service? 

Huh???

The "771 Searching for Satellite" message has nothing to do with "blocked" channels. That's purely a satellite antenna reception issue.  And any contract disputes would only affect one or two channels, not "1/3".  Call DirecTV for a service visit to have your dish fixed .... 1 800 531 5000

For official support call DirecTV 1-800-531-5000 or AT&T 1-800-288-2020.
Award for Community Excellence 2019 Achiever*
*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 2 of 11

You are wrong! I checked tvpromise.com and I know that AT&T/DirecTv is in
a dispute with Sinclair over charges for some of their channels. a few are:
CNN, HLN, NHL,NBA, TNNS, FS1, NBCS, CBSSN, HGTV, FOODN ,COOKHD, ET,
BRAVO, USA,SFFY,TNTW, TBSW, FX, LIFE, AMC, ACCU (ACCUWEATHER), KMYS
(local). There are others blocked that I noticed when I surfed channels.
I had already called the DIRECTV 800 number and verified the problem was
not with my satellite dish, wiring or connections. I called again just now
and was told that some channels were disrupted because of the dispute with
Sinclair. Funny thing is it is only in certain zip code areas. Why pick
us? Are there not enough of us in rural areas to make a difference? I
have had AT&T service since the courts broke up all the Bell children and
think this is not a good way to treat loyal customers.
Message 3 of 11
ACE - Expert

The contract with the local Sinclair owned channel expired. 

*I am not an AT&T employee, and the views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 4 of 11
ACE - Expert

@challenged5x wrote:
You are wrong! I checked tvpromise.com and I know that AT&T/DirecTv is in
a dispute with Sinclair over charges for some of their channels. a few are:
CNN, HLN, NHL,NBA, TNNS, FS1, NBCS, CBSSN, HGTV, FOODN ,COOKHD, ET,
BRAVO, USA,SFFY,TNTW, TBSW, FX, LIFE, AMC, ACCU (ACCUWEATHER), KMYS
(local). There are others blocked that I noticed when I surfed channels.
I had already called the DIRECTV 800 number and verified the problem was
not with my satellite dish, wiring or connections. I called again just now
and was told that some channels were disrupted because of the dispute with
Sinclair. Funny thing is it is only in certain zip code areas. Why pick
us? Are there not enough of us in rural areas to make a difference? I
have had AT&T service since the courts broke up all the Bell children and
think this is not a good way to treat loyal customers.

The majority of those channels you listed have nothing to do with Sinclair and are not owned by Sinclair. 

Like I said (and I'm right 🙂 ), the "771" message has nothing to do with contract disputes. Your satellite dish is messed up. A service visit can fix that. But choose to believe what you like. 

Message 5 of 11

Well, something happened and not on my end, but the channels that had been blocked are not back on. Someone listened and the situation is corrected. I will tell you this: when I checked the 771 message it said to go to tvpromise.com which I did and that is where I got the information about the dispute with Sinclair. Anyway, after almost sic months, we am finally receiving programs that had been disrupted.

Message 6 of 11
ACE - Expert

771 is a technical issue message.

Sinclair owns some local affiliate stations and yes they are in carriage negotiations.

The non-local channels you mention, such as NHL Network, NBA TV, USA, TNT, etc. are not owned by Sinclair. If they were getting a message to check https://tvpromise.att.com/ then that was in error. That site is checking on negotiations, which will list specifically what is affected for you which would only be locals owned by Sinclair (or Howard Stirk Holdings, a partner of theirs).

No channel company owns 1/3 of your channels. So if that much is not on, then they are not being "blocked", but are affected by a technical issue of some sort. Glad it is fixed

This is a public forum. Nobody here has a clue who you are or what your account is. As such there isn't someone here who could listen and fix an account that they have no knowledge of. Most likely there was either a back end system issue that had to be fixed and you were just one of the people affected by it, or your boxes had a bad error with the service authorizations it had received and eventually fixed itself. Hopefully the issue was a one-time occurrence.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 7 of 11

Service technician came yesterday and said my equipment was out of date so
I have ordered new equipment for my service. It will be installed
tomorrow. If that solves the problem I will get out of your hair.
Message 8 of 11
ACE - Expert

Only the HR34 Genie is outdated, the HR44/54 Genie are the latest and last HRs made.  The HS17 Genie 2 tower is the latest.

Message 9 of 11
ACE - Expert

@challenged5x wrote:

What are your current DirecTV box model numbers?

Message 10 of 11
ACE - Expert

@challenged5x wrote:

What are the models of each box you have now?

Just want to make sure they don't go overboard with the order and end up downgrading from your current setup.

-------------------------------------------------------------------------------
(Included after every post)
I am a customer, not an employee. This is a public forum.
Message 11 of 11
Share this topic
Share this topic
Announcements

If your DIRECTV account has recently moved into myAT&T, let us help you manage your DIRECTV account in myAT&T.

Additional Support