Helpful Links

2 year direct TV contract

Highlighted

2 year direct TV contract

I was under the impression that when I agreed to the 2 year direct TV contract that we were locked into the price we agreed to for two years. Now I'm seeing on our bill that the 35.00 credit is only good for 12 months. Will there be a price increase after the first year?
Message 1 of 28
Employee

Re: 2 year direct TV contract

No, the 2 year contract does not price locked your price, after the first year some credits roll off increasing your bill.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Tags (1)
Message 2 of 28

Oh brother. One of the selling points for me on the two year contract was that I'm sick of calling in every year and renegotiating. We've been with ATT for 9 years and this will probably be our last. That was not cool.

Message 3 of 28
Teacher

Good luck, i am leaving after 15 years. The first year of the contract is the sucker year, then the increases start and dont stop. Have had the same package since 2002, since Oct. 50+$ increase and my March bill 10 more$. They have to pay for that 40 billion buy of Direct. I am curious as to how many people are leaving? Curious what will happen now that you can buy your own equipment, no more lease fees. Oh well good luck, i am done Tuesday with them...

Message 4 of 28
Scholar

What went UP $ 50.00 +  in Oct.  ??  

Then $ 10.00 in March ??

Look at bill carefully and let us know.

Message 5 of 28

NO you are not locked in, this is another example of their false advertising.  Take my advice, do what I did, file an FCC complaint immediately.  

Message 6 of 28
Scholar

Agree and you have to open a new acct with atleast one leased box then you can buy your own boxes and put them on the acct.. if you want a genie unit forget it as none of them are really owned!!! and i can't figure out where they think the genie is worth 299.99 when the hopper 3 is so much better and i can get it for 229.99 out the door owned with no lease fee!!!

Message 7 of 28
Scholar

When did this start ?

Message 8 of 28
Scholar

when did what start??

Message 9 of 28
Scholar

Buying Receivers with-OUT a monthly Fee

Message 10 of 28
Scholar

directv only leases there eqiupment i guess that's been the norm with them since 2007.. as i also heard then you never really own directv equipment and that's been the norm also since 2007..

dish has always let people buy there own eqiupment at full price and put them on a pay as you go acct!!! some people don't want to be bother with leasing as some of us are boat dwellers and fulltime rvr's ot truckers

though there is still a dvr fee and a second box fee with dish

Message 11 of 28
Contributor

I know people who are able to buy their own equipment.  They paid a ton to not have an agreement.  I think my friend paid like $300 for a DVR.  So if you have the money upfront than you don't always have to have the contract.  But I wanted a Genie and it was too expensive for me without the agreement.  So I guess it just depends on what you have avialable.  I think it was something like $400 for the Genie and I could not get any minis with it.  So I guess I don't mind an agreement when I am getting a deal. 

Message 12 of 28
Scholar

from my understanding no one owns a genie no matter how much they pay for it!! id'e wach out when you cancel they might want it back!!! i was told the price on there website was a lease fee and they still will want it back when you cancel be carefull!!! and yes you are getting a deal by being in a contract but theres a select few that prefer not to be married to a company if things go bad!! theres some of us that want the latest and greatest wiz bang stuff and don't want to wait for the contract to be over to upgrade!! i know that dish will tell you how many rooms you can hook up and what boxes you can have based on your credit my credits in the 800's so yes id'e qualify for everything but id'e only use it for 2 months it makes no sense to keep paying for service i'm not using.. and i vacation in the yukon where nothing works including cell phones lol

Message 13 of 28
Contributor

I'm not under a 2 year agreement and my price just went up $40 a month after the first year ended. I've been a long time Directv customer but left for 3 week to try Uverse. As soon as I cancelled my Directv service, I started to recieve offers to comeback to Directv (same equipment and channels I had before, free NFL package for 1 year, 3 months free HBO, Showtime & Cinemax and a $250 gift card all for $84.00 a month). I called the customer retetntion department to try and lower my bill back to the rate I was paying and they said that they could only offer me a $5 discount. I told them that I was trying to save them money, because I didnt want to have to cancel for a week and then restart my service and have them offer me all the extras. No NFL package, no preium movie channels and no $250 gift card, just my original price per month is all i asked for. What was Directv's response you ask......We are sorry but the $5 discount is all we can do. What kind of customer service is that????? You force people to cancel service just to get a price break. the switch back was so quick last time that I even kept my same equipment.

Message 14 of 28
Scholar

How did you like U-Verse TV ?

Message 15 of 28
You must type a description before you click preview or reply.
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the DIRECTV Account Board! Check out our helpful articles below and don’t forget to search the forums - your question may have been answered already!

Have a billing concern? Click here to chat with us!

Additional Support