Wireless Forums

Posted Jan 31, 2014
7:07:52 AM
View profile
Unqualified people working Tech Support

I spent over 2 hours working with a tech support guy who obviously was not qualified to help anybody.  Earlier in the evening the wireless router/modem suddenly stopped working with four laptops in my house. After being led around and around getting nowhere, (except screwing up my Thinkpad settings), for over two hours, the guy suggested I might need a new router.  He suggested two models I could buy. 

I told him I wasn't getting nowhere, so I was going to quit for the night, and reset the 2Wire with the reset button on the back.

As soon as I got off the phone, I did that.  According to him, that resets everything to default.  Why he never tried that, I don't know.  I immediately went through the internet setup built into the system.  This appears to be similar to Windows Restore.

Miraculously, three of the four laptops connected immediately, the Thinkpad hung on obtaining an IP address.  IPCONFIG did nothing for me.  So I immediately did a System Restore at a point two days prior, and the laptop found the link and connected to the internet.  Back to normal.  After wasting two hours with tech support, I did it myself in less than 30 min, including what got messed up on the laptop during his attempts to guide me through troubleshooting.

Now, you tell me, Why couldn't he have guided me through that earlier.  He never once suggested pushing the reset button during the time we were on the phone.  The only reset he suggested was the power disconnect reset, which did nothing for the problem.

Best advice:  Don't call tech support until you have exhausted all your own resources.

I spent over 2 hours working with a tech support guy who obviously was not qualified to help anybody.  Earlier in the evening the wireless router/modem suddenly stopped working with four laptops in my house. After being led around and around getting nowhere, (except screwing up my Thinkpad settings), for over two hours, the guy suggested I might need a new router.  He suggested two models I could buy. 

I told him I wasn't getting nowhere, so I was going to quit for the night, and reset the 2Wire with the reset button on the back.

As soon as I got off the phone, I did that.  According to him, that resets everything to default.  Why he never tried that, I don't know.  I immediately went through the internet setup built into the system.  This appears to be similar to Windows Restore.

Miraculously, three of the four laptops connected immediately, the Thinkpad hung on obtaining an IP address.  IPCONFIG did nothing for me.  So I immediately did a System Restore at a point two days prior, and the laptop found the link and connected to the internet.  Back to normal.  After wasting two hours with tech support, I did it myself in less than 30 min, including what got messed up on the laptop during his attempts to guide me through troubleshooting.

Now, you tell me, Why couldn't he have guided me through that earlier.  He never once suggested pushing the reset button during the time we were on the phone.  The only reset he suggested was the power disconnect reset, which did nothing for the problem.

Best advice:  Don't call tech support until you have exhausted all your own resources.

Unqualified people working Tech Support

2 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Replies
(2)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jan 31, 2014 7:56:45 PM
(0)

I bought a 30day 3giga plan and in less than 15days I received notifications sayin I had only 2% of my plan. Today I went to an AT&T store and the attendant canceled my number in order to reconnect it...but he "forgot" that my ipad chip was prepaid and cannot be reconected.

He also verified that I had only used 480mega and the notifications were AT&T mistakes... Bottom line is:Ive lost the rest of the 3g plan I previsouly bough along with the money I paid for AND had to purchase another 3g plan... Because of one of AT&T employees mistake. The support did not care and I did not get my money back. Only lost money and got super unhappy with the service i got.

The staff is not well prepared.

I bought a 30day 3giga plan and in less than 15days I received notifications sayin I had only 2% of my plan. Today I went to an AT&T store and the attendant canceled my number in order to reconnect it...but he "forgot" that my ipad chip was prepaid and cannot be reconected.

He also verified that I had only used 480mega and the notifications were AT&T mistakes... Bottom line is:Ive lost the rest of the 3g plan I previsouly bough along with the money I paid for AND had to purchase another 3g plan... Because of one of AT&T employees mistake. The support did not care and I did not get my money back. Only lost money and got super unhappy with the service i got.

The staff is not well prepared.

Re: Unqualified people working Tech Support

2 of 3 (586 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Feb 1, 2014 6:23:40 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

Unfortunately, that's the average for AT&T's phone support. Occasionally you'll get a really good one, but not often enough.

Next time your having problems you might want to start here on the forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here, customers like myself with years of  dealing with AT&T's idiosyncrasies, who are more than willing to assist you.

You can also check out this site: https://ufix.att.com/portal/index.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

Unfortunately, that's the average for AT&T's phone support. Occasionally you'll get a really good one, but not often enough.

Next time your having problems you might want to start here on the forum. There are a lot of knowledgeable people on here, customers like myself with years of  dealing with AT&T's idiosyncrasies, who are more than willing to assist you.

You can also check out this site: https://ufix.att.com/portal/index.html

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Unqualified people working Tech Support

3 of 3 (543 Views)