Wireless Forums

Posted Sep 11, 2013
2:17:06 PM
View profile
Adding Asus wireless n750 gigabit router to residential gateway

I was wondering if someone could provide me with detailed instructions on how to setup an Asus N750 wireless router to a Uverse residential gateway? Can this even be done? Thanks.

I was wondering if someone could provide me with detailed instructions on how to setup an Asus N750 wireless router to a Uverse residential gateway? Can this even be done? Thanks.

Adding Asus wireless n750 gigabit router to residential gateway

20 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
Cancel
Submit
Replies
(20)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 14, 2013 5:04:37 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

jswierczek wrote:

This is what I did to use an "internal" router (when I had Uverse). I set my "internal" router to use DHCP for the WAN address, plugged it's WAN port in to a LAN port on the 2WIRE, reboot the "internal" router, let the 2WIRE assign a local address to the "internal" router and then set that address to the DMZ in the 2WIRE's management interface. When I go to the "internal" router's management interface it shows as having the same WAN, gateway, and DNS addresses that the 2WIRE uses.

I set the "internal" router to assign addresses to "my" side of the network in a different IP range than what the 2WIRE uses (192.168.2.* instead of 192.168.1.*) but using the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0). My internet works fine with no interuptions and local network tasks (back ups, streaming, etc.) work as expected. I can also still access the 2WIRE from "my" side of the network when I need to without having to change any network settings or swap any cables. Leave DHCP running on the 2WIRE. You do not need to disable the firewall in the 2WIRE as the DMZ will open a pinhole through it to the address you pick (your internal router). If you have existing wireless on your router that your satisfied with and want to keep, just make sure to turn off the wireless in the RG.

As for the STBs they should be run straight out of the RG with CAT5 or RG6 Coax.

If you currently have your router behind a basic DSL or Cable modem, Your setup will be pretty much the same. The 2WIRE will replace your modem, then go into your existing router and change it's internet connection type to Dynamic or DHCP. Then change it's internal network IP adress and DHCP Pool and you should be good to go.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
There are three kinds of people, those that can count, and those that can't.
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

jswierczek wrote:

This is what I did to use an "internal" router (when I had Uverse). I set my "internal" router to use DHCP for the WAN address, plugged it's WAN port in to a LAN port on the 2WIRE, reboot the "internal" router, let the 2WIRE assign a local address to the "internal" router and then set that address to the DMZ in the 2WIRE's management interface. When I go to the "internal" router's management interface it shows as having the same WAN, gateway, and DNS addresses that the 2WIRE uses.

I set the "internal" router to assign addresses to "my" side of the network in a different IP range than what the 2WIRE uses (192.168.2.* instead of 192.168.1.*) but using the same subnet mask (255.255.255.0). My internet works fine with no interuptions and local network tasks (back ups, streaming, etc.) work as expected. I can also still access the 2WIRE from "my" side of the network when I need to without having to change any network settings or swap any cables. Leave DHCP running on the 2WIRE. You do not need to disable the firewall in the 2WIRE as the DMZ will open a pinhole through it to the address you pick (your internal router). If you have existing wireless on your router that your satisfied with and want to keep, just make sure to turn off the wireless in the RG.

As for the STBs they should be run straight out of the RG with CAT5 or RG6 Coax.

If you currently have your router behind a basic DSL or Cable modem, Your setup will be pretty much the same. The 2WIRE will replace your modem, then go into your existing router and change it's internet connection type to Dynamic or DHCP. Then change it's internal network IP adress and DHCP Pool and you should be good to go.

------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
------------------------------------------------------------------------------------
“Our great democracies still tend to think that a stupid man is more likely to be honest than a clever man, and our politicians take advantage of this prejudice by pretending to be even more stupid than nature has made them." :Bertrand Russell

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

Re: Adding Asus wireless n750 gigabit router to residential gateway

2 of 21 (4,894 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 4:50:14 AM
(0)
Tutor

Computer-Joe

Is it possible to explain this in an easier way that someone who doesn't know about setting "internal" router and assign addresses, etc. can do this? 

I don't currently have a router behind our AT&T Uverse 3800 HGV-B and have never set anything like this up so I've come here.  I just bought an ASUS RT-AC66U Dual Band 3x3 802.11ac Gigabit Router that I hope is compatible with AT&T RG router.  We use AT&T for internet only and have directv.  There is a Directv Deca Broadband Adapter Decabb1MR0-01 currenly attached to our AT&T router.  I don't know where to begin when to start attaching the new router to make everything work.  I started working at it yesterday and was completely lost.  I have white cables going into the AT&T router that work our tv (I unplugged them and tv stopped working).  There are also some green cables which I'm not sure what they are - could have been when we had phone service with AT&T (no longer)?  The instructions you left are not easy for me to follow; i do understand how to get onto the routers using the 192.168.1.***  (AT&T) and 192.168.1.1 for the new Asus router.  What does STB stand for and when you say "run straight out of the RG with CAT5 or RG6 Coax" mean?  Is "internal" router Uverse router or the new router?  Are there easier instructions here somewhere or should I call customer support?

What i want to accomplish is installing the new router along with a 3TB External Hard drive so that we can stream and backup computers, etc. 

Thank you

Computer-Joe

Is it possible to explain this in an easier way that someone who doesn't know about setting "internal" router and assign addresses, etc. can do this? 

I don't currently have a router behind our AT&T Uverse 3800 HGV-B and have never set anything like this up so I've come here.  I just bought an ASUS RT-AC66U Dual Band 3x3 802.11ac Gigabit Router that I hope is compatible with AT&T RG router.  We use AT&T for internet only and have directv.  There is a Directv Deca Broadband Adapter Decabb1MR0-01 currenly attached to our AT&T router.  I don't know where to begin when to start attaching the new router to make everything work.  I started working at it yesterday and was completely lost.  I have white cables going into the AT&T router that work our tv (I unplugged them and tv stopped working).  There are also some green cables which I'm not sure what they are - could have been when we had phone service with AT&T (no longer)?  The instructions you left are not easy for me to follow; i do understand how to get onto the routers using the 192.168.1.***  (AT&T) and 192.168.1.1 for the new Asus router.  What does STB stand for and when you say "run straight out of the RG with CAT5 or RG6 Coax" mean?  Is "internal" router Uverse router or the new router?  Are there easier instructions here somewhere or should I call customer support?

What i want to accomplish is installing the new router along with a 3TB External Hard drive so that we can stream and backup computers, etc. 

Thank you

3 of 21 (4,753 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 5:45:13 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

mrsdowfire wrote:

Computer-Joe

Thank you

Ok, STB stands for Set Top Box, the common term for the TV receiver. Your Deca provides a wireless feed to your DirecTV Set Top Box so don't worry about the STBs.

"Internal" router refers to the Asus router.

What exactly is the purpose of the Asus router? Are you just looking for faster wired and wireless connections, or do you have more advanced networking functions that need to be addressed like port forwarding for gaming or servers?

If all you want is faster wireless we can simplify this.

neon_sign.jpg

mrsdowfire wrote:

Computer-Joe

Thank you

Ok, STB stands for Set Top Box, the common term for the TV receiver. Your Deca provides a wireless feed to your DirecTV Set Top Box so don't worry about the STBs.

"Internal" router refers to the Asus router.

What exactly is the purpose of the Asus router? Are you just looking for faster wired and wireless connections, or do you have more advanced networking functions that need to be addressed like port forwarding for gaming or servers?

If all you want is faster wireless we can simplify this.

neon_sign.jpg

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

4 of 21 (4,741 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 7:33:10 AM
(0)
Tutor
Definintely looking for faster wireless; would like faster streaming via netflix/xbox. We use an xbox for streaming in our family room and a sony blu-ray player in our bedroom for streaming netflix (xbox requires live membership to stream netflix so we don't use that feature via xbox); this blu-ray player is also network capable. About the only gaming we do is around the holiday when the kids come home and we use the xbox kinex). I recently installed myplex on an older laptop we were no longer using with an external attached but I'd like to simplfy and all our media/pictures/music on this new 3TB external I purchased and stream from that rather than having an old laptop running all the time. I know its not a great set-up and thats why I purchased a new router. Eventually it might be nice to access the media when away from home but not necessary at the moment. So would i be using the external hard drive as a server?
Definintely looking for faster wireless; would like faster streaming via netflix/xbox. We use an xbox for streaming in our family room and a sony blu-ray player in our bedroom for streaming netflix (xbox requires live membership to stream netflix so we don't use that feature via xbox); this blu-ray player is also network capable. About the only gaming we do is around the holiday when the kids come home and we use the xbox kinex). I recently installed myplex on an older laptop we were no longer using with an external attached but I'd like to simplfy and all our media/pictures/music on this new 3TB external I purchased and stream from that rather than having an old laptop running all the time. I know its not a great set-up and thats why I purchased a new router. Eventually it might be nice to access the media when away from home but not necessary at the moment. So would i be using the external hard drive as a server?

5 of 21 (4,734 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 10:42:53 AM
(0)
Tutor
found this today steps to use RG as a modem: http://www.sbbala.com/uverse/pg2.html

Is that the goal is to use my RG as a modem? I'm at work and found this and have printed out but wanted to see if these instructions looked okay? I also contacted AT&T and they can't help me because my AT&T router comes pre-configured (their words) and theres not much they can do. He said I should be able to take an ethernet cable and go from one of the ports on the RG to the new router but that just sounds too easy.

found this today steps to use RG as a modem: http://www.sbbala.com/uverse/pg2.html

Is that the goal is to use my RG as a modem? I'm at work and found this and have printed out but wanted to see if these instructions looked okay? I also contacted AT&T and they can't help me because my AT&T router comes pre-configured (their words) and theres not much they can do. He said I should be able to take an ethernet cable and go from one of the ports on the RG to the new router but that just sounds too easy.

6 of 21 (4,726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 30, 2013 6:33:00 PM
(0)
Tutor
Update: contacted Asus and they helped me get the router connected but didn't have me change any setting on the AT&T RG or the RT-AC66U - Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.274. Currently the router has a Lan IP of 192.168.2.1/Subnet 255.255.255.0 and a Wan IP of 192.168.1.74. Wireless is enabled on 2.4 and 5 on the Asus and enabled on the AT&T RG 801.11g router. Should I disable wireless on the AT&T and/or change any settings on the RG? Are there any settings I need to change on the Asus?
Update: contacted Asus and they helped me get the router connected but didn't have me change any setting on the AT&T RG or the RT-AC66U - Firmware Version 3.0.0.4.274. Currently the router has a Lan IP of 192.168.2.1/Subnet 255.255.255.0 and a Wan IP of 192.168.1.74. Wireless is enabled on 2.4 and 5 on the Asus and enabled on the AT&T RG 801.11g router. Should I disable wireless on the AT&T and/or change any settings on the RG? Are there any settings I need to change on the Asus?

7 of 21 (4,707 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 2, 2013 11:37:18 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

mrsdowfire wrote:

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner.

When you say the ASUS has a WAN address, I'm assuming you connected the ASUS to the RG using it's WAN or Internet port?

OK the only thing you need to do to the RG is turn off the wireless.

For the ASUS Change it's address to 192.168.1.1 and leave the subnet at 255.255.255.0. Then turn off the DHCP server. Then connect the ASUS to the RG using one of the LAN ports. When you check the ASUS there should be no WAN address.

neon_sign.jpg

mrsdowfire wrote:

Sorry I did not get back to you sooner.

When you say the ASUS has a WAN address, I'm assuming you connected the ASUS to the RG using it's WAN or Internet port?

OK the only thing you need to do to the RG is turn off the wireless.

For the ASUS Change it's address to 192.168.1.1 and leave the subnet at 255.255.255.0. Then turn off the DHCP server. Then connect the ASUS to the RG using one of the LAN ports. When you check the ASUS there should be no WAN address.

neon_sign.jpg

8 of 21 (4,679 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2013 5:08:42 AM
(0)
Tutor

Thank you for your reply.  Have been busy this week and finally getting back here.  I disabled the wireless on the RG but when I try to change the Lan IP to 192.168.1.1 on Asus I get "WAN and LAN should have different IP addresses and subnets" 

Thank you for your reply.  Have been busy this week and finally getting back here.  I disabled the wireless on the RG but when I try to change the Lan IP to 192.168.1.1 on Asus I get "WAN and LAN should have different IP addresses and subnets" 

Asus RT AC66u

9 of 21 (4,597 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2013 8:55:23 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

mrsdowfire wrote:

Reset the ASUS router and try again. Do not enter anything in the Internet Connection area on the ASUS, do not plug anything into the WAN or Internet port on the ASUS. Set it's LAN address to 192.168.1.1, and turn off it's DHCP server.

When configured correctly, there should be no info in the Internet Connection area on the ASUS.

neon_sign.jpg

mrsdowfire wrote:

Reset the ASUS router and try again. Do not enter anything in the Internet Connection area on the ASUS, do not plug anything into the WAN or Internet port on the ASUS. Set it's LAN address to 192.168.1.1, and turn off it's DHCP server.

When configured correctly, there should be no info in the Internet Connection area on the ASUS.

neon_sign.jpg

Re: Asus RT AC66u

10 of 21 (4,588 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2013 11:44:54 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by mrsdowfire on Oct 6, 2013 at 11:47:33 AM

Can you give me the steps in order?

I currently have the wireless disabled on the RG.  Asus LAN is still 192.168.2.1.  I'm confused at what time I change the IP address and/or diable DHCP?  Or will rebooting the Asus with nothing plugged into LAN or WAN change the IP address automatically? 

As I understand the order:

1)  Change the LAN IP Address of Asus router from 192.168.2.1 to 192.168.1.1

2)  Disable DHCP by changing from yes to no on Asus

3)  Unplug ethernet cable from back of Asus WAN port

4)  Reboot Asus router

When do i plug the RG back into the LAN port of the Asus?

I currently have the wireless disabled on the RG.  Asus LAN is still 192.168.2.1.  I'm confused at what time I change the IP address and/or diable DHCP?  Or will rebooting the Asus with nothing plugged into LAN or WAN change the IP address automatically? 

4)  Reboot Asus router

[ Edited ]
11 of 21 (4,585 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 6, 2013 3:38:42 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

mrsdowfire wrote:

4)  Reboot Asus router

1. Disconnect  Ethernet cable from WAN port on the ASUS.
  2. Do a Factory Reset on the ASUS by pushing and holding the reset button for 15 seconds.
  3. Set the LAN address on the ASUS to 192.168.1.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and save settings if necessary.
  4. Turn off the DHCP server on the ASUS and save settings if necessary..
  5. Disconnect the power cord on the ASUS.
  6. Reconnect Ethernet cable to LAN port on the ASUS.
  7. Reconnect the power cord on the ASUS.

You should be good to go. You will have to reconfigure the Wireless on the ASUS. All firewall rules will be handled by the RG.

neon_sign.jpg

mrsdowfire wrote:

4)  Reboot Asus router

1. Disconnect  Ethernet cable from WAN port on the ASUS.
  2. Do a Factory Reset on the ASUS by pushing and holding the reset button for 15 seconds.
  3. Set the LAN address on the ASUS to 192.168.1.1 with a subnet mask of 255.255.255.0 and save settings if necessary.
  4. Turn off the DHCP server on the ASUS and save settings if necessary..
  5. Disconnect the power cord on the ASUS.
  6. Reconnect Ethernet cable to LAN port on the ASUS.
  7. Reconnect the power cord on the ASUS.

You should be good to go. You will have to reconfigure the Wireless on the ASUS. All firewall rules will be handled by the RG.

neon_sign.jpg

12 of 21 (4,577 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 8, 2013 11:25:35 AM
(0)
Contributor

I appreciate everybody's feedback on this topic. I'll try this tonight and let you know if I succeed!

I appreciate everybody's feedback on this topic. I'll try this tonight and let you know if I succeed!

13 of 21 (4,544 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 24, 2013 11:20:15 PM
(0)
Contributor

Did you ever firgure it out, because i'm currently trying to do it and im getting no where.

Did you ever firgure it out, because i'm currently trying to do it and im getting no where.

14 of 21 (4,356 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Oct 25, 2013 5:03:39 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

hoghvn wrote:

If you describe what you've done so far and where you're running into problems, I'll try to help you out. Please provide your AT&T modem/gateway model and your secondary router model.

neon_sign.jpg

hoghvn wrote:

If you describe what you've done so far and where you're running into problems, I'll try to help you out. Please provide your AT&T modem/gateway model and your secondary router model.

neon_sign.jpg

15 of 21 (4,348 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 8, 2013 7:37:39 PM
(0)
Contributor

i think these steps are forgetting to include the configuration of the "Residential Gateway" (RG) firewall to put the Asus router in DMZ Plus.

Those steps were described in one of the earlier posts but the thread kind of diverges and hence users only following steps 1 thru 7 may still need to make sure the RG is configured to have a DMZ applied to the separe Wireless router.

i think these steps are forgetting to include the configuration of the "Residential Gateway" (RG) firewall to put the Asus router in DMZ Plus.

Those steps were described in one of the earlier posts but the thread kind of diverges and hence users only following steps 1 thru 7 may still need to make sure the RG is configured to have a DMZ applied to the separe Wireless router.

16 of 21 (4,192 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Nov 9, 2013 5:51:12 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

bitetyson wrote:

It was determined that they just wanted to use the separate wireless router simply as a wireless access point (and switch) to supplement or replace the wireless on the RG, as opposed to using it as the main gateway/firewall/router for the network. That negates the need to place the separate router in the DMZ on the RG.

neon_sign.jpg

bitetyson wrote:

It was determined that they just wanted to use the separate wireless router simply as a wireless access point (and switch) to supplement or replace the wireless on the RG, as opposed to using it as the main gateway/firewall/router for the network. That negates the need to place the separate router in the DMZ on the RG.

neon_sign.jpg

17 of 21 (4,179 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 15, 2013 1:22:36 PM
(0)
Contributor

Hi,

i too, have at&t Uverse and considering buying an Asus AC66U router because my wirless performance in house is not good. (I get the full 18 mbps near the uverse router, but only about 6 mbps on the 1st floor where my laptop is and where i spend all my time).

So is there a benefit in running the Asus through a DMZ pinhole vs. just running it as an access point?

I understand that running it through a pinhole makes the Asus do all the routing/firewall duties. Is there a benefit to do this vs. letting the Uverse router do it? (i have 2 laptops, a PS3 which i stream Netflix on, 2 phones, 2 tablets, a wirelss printer). We live in a wifi congested area.

If i run the Asus using the DMZ pinhole setting in the RG would i be able to stream HBO GO using the uverse website? (i think that you have to be logged in using your uverse router in order for HBO to authenticate that you are a uverse subscriber and that you have the HBO subscription.) 

Thank you in advance for taking the time to reply.

Hi,

i too, have at&t Uverse and considering buying an Asus AC66U router because my wirless performance in house is not good. (I get the full 18 mbps near the uverse router, but only about 6 mbps on the 1st floor where my laptop is and where i spend all my time).

So is there a benefit in running the Asus through a DMZ pinhole vs. just running it as an access point?

I understand that running it through a pinhole makes the Asus do all the routing/firewall duties. Is there a benefit to do this vs. letting the Uverse router do it? (i have 2 laptops, a PS3 which i stream Netflix on, 2 phones, 2 tablets, a wirelss printer). We live in a wifi congested area.

If i run the Asus using the DMZ pinhole setting in the RG would i be able to stream HBO GO using the uverse website? (i think that you have to be logged in using your uverse router in order for HBO to authenticate that you are a uverse subscriber and that you have the HBO subscription.) 

18 of 21 (3,817 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2013 5:44:15 AM
(0)
ACE - Master

zeinoonm wrote:

Hi,

It's HBO®. Anywhere.®

I don't have/use that service, but if their tagline is true, that would preclude having to access the service only from home through your RG.

Having the Asus in the DMZ on the RG does not replace the RG, only it's routing, firewall, and wireless duties for your local network. It will also allow you to utilize the features of the Asus that are not available in the RG like access scheduling and, parental controls/site blocking.

neon_sign.jpg

zeinoonm wrote:

Hi,

It's HBO®. Anywhere.®

I don't have/use that service, but if their tagline is true, that would preclude having to access the service only from home through your RG.

Having the Asus in the DMZ on the RG does not replace the RG, only it's routing, firewall, and wireless duties for your local network. It will also allow you to utilize the features of the Asus that are not available in the RG like access scheduling and, parental controls/site blocking.

neon_sign.jpg

19 of 21 (3,792 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 16, 2013 11:03:54 AM
(0)
Guru

zeinoonm wrote:

Hi,

There's a small difference between using HBO's Live TV/On-Demand options on U-Verse.com and U-Verse Apps and HBO Go. HBO on U-Verse.com and U-Verse Apps is authenticated using your AT&T Account and RG to determine if you're in a home-location. This is a service that AT&T provides to their subscribers. (I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think you'd lose this functionality.)

HBO Go, is a service that HBO provides, free of charge, to HBO subscribers with a participating provider. HBO uses your AT&T Account to authenticate, though this a server-side authentication (server to server), so it does not have to connect to your home-network. Once it's authenticated, you'll be asked to create an account to access HBO Go from where-ever (location) on what-ever (device) you choose. (Granted HBO supports the where-ever and what-ever.)

zeinoonm wrote:

Hi,

There's a small difference between using HBO's Live TV/On-Demand options on U-Verse.com and U-Verse Apps and HBO Go. HBO on U-Verse.com and U-Verse Apps is authenticated using your AT&T Account and RG to determine if you're in a home-location. This is a service that AT&T provides to their subscribers. (I'm not entirely sure, but I don't think you'd lose this functionality.)

HBO Go, is a service that HBO provides, free of charge, to HBO subscribers with a participating provider. HBO uses your AT&T Account to authenticate, though this a server-side authentication (server to server), so it does not have to connect to your home-network. Once it's authenticated, you'll be asked to create an account to access HBO Go from where-ever (location) on what-ever (device) you choose. (Granted HBO supports the where-ever and what-ever.)

20 of 21 (3,786 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Dec 18, 2013 12:18:52 PM
(0)
Contributor

Thank you, that was very helpful. When i purchase this router i will connect it in the DMZ PLUS mode and report back. 

Thank you, that was very helpful. When i purchase this router i will connect it in the DMZ PLUS mode and report back. 

21 of 21 (3,721 Views)