kitnbob's profile

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

Saturday, March 3rd, 2018 6:39 AM

I need Help in quoting a reply

I was in the DirecTV  forum and I had trouble with the reply options of their board.

This one appears different , I will ask for help anyway.

When replying to a thread, I am accustomed to having a reply/quote input button that was not available to me.

Any help is appreciated.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

If the thread has say 5 posts (say 1, 2, 3, 4, 5) and you reply to the post 2, then yes, it will position you to the reply box at the bottom of the page after post 5.  What's the problem?  Your post is going to be post 6.  Again explicitly copy/paste the stuff you want from post 2 and quote it in the reply.  If post 2 in this example not from the originator of the thread then it might be polite to add the @reference like you have been doing for me so that person gets a notification.  You don't have to do that for the originator of the thread since they automatically get notified (notification preferences settings can be change in your forum settings).

So there is nothing wrong with what you are seeing.  That's how these forums work.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Just copy/paste the section you want to quote and then select the pasted stuff and use the "double quote" tool in the toolbar.  That's the only way I've ever done quoting in these forums since I rarely (never actually) want to quote an entire post, only portions of it.

Also, FWIW I just tried the reply/quote button in your post above and it behaved exactly like the reply button.  Didn't quote anything.

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

6 years ago

@_xyzzy_ wrote:

Also, FWIW I just tried the reply/quote button in your post above and it behaved exactly like the reply button.  Didn't quote anything.

I dont even SEE the reply/quote button.

I found this black button after edit/reply

I see the green solution button for the first time

Quote.PNG

1 Attachment

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

Because you are the originator of this thread.

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

6 years ago

you said ;

Because you are the originator of this thread.

of course thats why I see the solution button

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

I think you edited your previous post ir I missed the first part.  I have to assume you have the reply button or else how are you replying here?  And I have to assume you have a accept button because you started this thread.

As I said in the other thread, if you think you are having display problems relaunch your browser to see if that clears the problem.  Also it's always good to have a different browser for comparison purposes to see how it behaves on the same web pages.

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

6 years ago

but I'm not pushing the solution button till I figure out what's different about the reply button. 

dontSeeThis1.PNG 

Does this look like your reply buttons?

I have not seen the reply/quote next to the reply like that.  not even on other forums.

I'm puzzled why you and others here see that and I dont.

1 Attachment

Expert

• 

15K Messages

6 years ago

I'm puzzled why you and others here see that and I dont.

I don't know.  Lithium (that's this forum software) has it's "quirks".  Why worry about it?  It doesn't seem to quote anything anyhow like I assume is it's purpose.  In other words it is behaving exactly like the reply button.  It may also be due to the way it treats the rank.  You are currently classed as "teacher".  Maybe you need a higher rank which you will eventually earn as you accumulate posts.

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

6 years ago

I get a reply button. and it causes me to jump down to the reply dialog at the bottom of the page. and sometimes that is replying to the wrong post if there were several other posts below the one I selected.

dontSeeThis5.PNG

1 Attachment

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

6 years ago

I need more credits before I'm allowed to reply/quote.

Smiley Indifferent

wait..... you cant quote either.. Smiley Happy just for grins, I'll edit this post and "quote' the whole previous message

@kitnbob wrote:

I get a reply button. and it causes me to jump down to the reply dialog at the bottom of the page. and sometimes that is replying to the wrong post if there were several other posts below the one I selected.

dontSeeThis5.PNG

but thats the wrong quote....     You said quirky

1 Attachment

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.