For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Mr_Doh's profile

Teacher

• 

49 Messages

Saturday, December 1st, 2018 10:17 PM

Advertising on "account overview" page of my.att is annoying

Is there any way to remove the advertising on the bottom of my account overview page that's inflicted on me when I log into my.att account? Never seen anything like it on an account page where I'm paying for services before, really annoying, especially the way that it's changing and flashing fairly quickly. Although it wouldn't be much better if it was static, just annoying to have to see it on a page that I'm paying to use.

It's really hard to ignore, but in a kind of repulsive way.

Thanks!

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

That banner you are referring to is an animated gif.  You will need to research how to toggle or disable animated gif's in your browser.

Teacher

• 

49 Messages

5 years ago

I have done that and come up empty, that's why I'm asking. I'm using ublock origin that does a great job of ad blocking in general, but doesn't block that annoying ad. I've tried using the "block element" option on ublock, and that doesn't block the whole ad, it blocks individual images. Not helpful, I don't have the time or inclination to block each new image as it appears :-). And nothing that I've found blocks that sort of dynamic ad, including the chrome "animated gif" blocker.

Wondering if anyone's found a way to block it that works, not wondering about how to use the internet.

Thanks.

Expert

• 

15K Messages

5 years ago

I use Thunderbird and I have an addon called Toggle Animated GIFs.  But I use an older Firefox 48.0.2.  They are up in the neighborhood of version 60 these days.  Unfortunately Mozilla decided to change the internals to be more like chrome (using webextensions) and that immediately invalidated thousands of addon's, Toggle Animated GIFs being one of them.  Author hasn't gotten around to converting it, maybe never will.  So when I suggested looking for something that can toggle or disable animated gifs that's exactly what I meant. Toggle Animated GIFs is not an ad blocker and all it does stop that animation, not eliminate the frame, because it does what it's name says, it allows you to toggle the animation on or off.  So I'm guessing trying to block it with an ad blocker would not work.  Not sure about frame (element) suppression but I guess you said that didn't work reliably there either. 

Firefox does have a config setting to freeze this animation, again not eliminate the frame.  If it hasn't gone away in later FF's it called image.animation_mode.  But it's an all or nothing switch.  If you set it to disable animated GIFs it will disable them everywhere.  If you don't use FF maybe search for some similar setting for the browser you do use.  Or, just give up and l live with it.  How many times do you need to visit myAT&T anyhow?

Teacher

• 

49 Messages

5 years ago

Actually, I've been to myATT more than a few times. Just starting with AT&T, haven't had my first bill yet,, so I've been checking to make sure that everything's in order. Also to see how I'm doing with the data cap. Unfortunately, my router doesn't have traffic metering as part of it's feature set, even though users have complained, so the information about how much data I'm using on a daily basis is useful to me. To avoid the ad, I may put my mesh router into AP mode and use another router with LEDE firmware that provides per-client data use tracking to keep an eye on it. Hate to do that, but that would keep me away from the AT&T account management page.

Comcast, while it was a terrible company, didn't have ads for third-party products on its account management pages. At the most they'd try to get you to upgrade your Comcast services.

Again, haven't found anything that can stop the ad, let alone remove it. A static ad would be a little more acceptable than a continually flashing one.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.