Congratulations to @gr8sho, our January, 2019 ACE of the Month! @gr8sho joined the community on December 22nd, 2015. He's authored 1092 Posts, 15 Accepted Solutions and received 127 kudos... and counting!
Here is your chance to learn a little bit more about @gr8sho (And to learn more about ACEs, go HERE)
1. You've been a member of this Community for over 3 years, have over 1060 Posts, received 124 Kudos and authored 15 Solutions! What keeps bringing back and makes you want to help other users?
I've been using forums in various forms going back to the days of VM and CMS (if anyone's around that still remembers) and always found forums as a way to both receive and share learning. These were communities long before the term community was used, but the essence of information sharing was always there. Took a liking to it and am active in a number of areas as time permits.
2. You seem to have a lot of knowledge about all of AT&T's products and services, but you mostly answer questions about Internet and TV related products. Which AT&T services do you like most and personally use and why?
I started around the time of the last big telco merger when the iPhone 3G was launched. Afterwards it made sense to try Uverse which at the time encompassed the triple play. Wikipedia has a good history of the product. And even though we're still on copper service here, I've invested a lot of personal time trying to get the most of the service. I have a decent understanding of it now and if I can help others by typing a few words, all the better. One of the most common issues is getting Amazon products to work correctly with ATT Internet so I try to help guide that solution whenever I spot it. Another example and there are others of course, is troubleshooting VDSL connection and especially since copper can be prone to signal quality issue which manifests itself in ways that many people do not immediately recognize. I suppose the short answer is is you use something and go through a trials and tribulations period, you can learn something and then pass it on others that will likely step through same.
3. Speaking of your favorite tech... which tech companies do you admire most? Do you feel like any of them are still innovating in 2019?
Tesla hands down. Apple and Google and Amazon are in there too, but Tesla has been able to do most of what they do within the US and that makes them a bit more special. The space stuff is pretty cool too. Blue Origin and Space-X.
4. What upcoming tech in most exciting to you? Real or maybe still science fiction.., what do you think will make the greatest impact in the near future?
Great question. The immediate thing that came to mind is the blurring of the interface between human and computer. Think of the old Tron movie. Seems technology is moving in that direction with AI and VR.
5. If you could take one single device to an uninhabited island with you, what would it be?
This made my chuckle because I thought of an old Gilligan's Island episode where Gilligan is sitting on a handmade stationary bike generating power for an old transistor radio. And up until recently it would have been my 160GB iPod since that seemed to be the end all of portability, but has been eclipsed by 512GB iPhone, so I guess it would have be something like that where I could have all mymusicwith me to listen to.
6. And speaking of islands? Do you like to travel? What are some of your favorite destinations and why?
Yes, I've always enjoyed travel. I've been to Asia several times, but Europe would have be number one simply because of the history and contributions of western civilization and my personal fascination with history starting with the Roman's to 19the century.
7. What do you do when you're not hanging around the community? What are your favorite hobbies?
Road cycling. Going out for a 40 mile ride with music.
8. Any big and exciting plans for 2019?
This will be a recharge year and looking for new adventures.
9. What advice do you have for new Community members?
Always start with civility and respect, no matter how dire a particular situation may seem at the time.
10. Anything else you would like to add?
There are a lot of smart people here I respect and admire, and enjoy reading. Cheers!!!