Congratulations to @beww357, our March, 2019 ACE of the Month! @beww357 joined the community on March 11, 2018. He's authored 3403 Posts, 109 Accepted Solutions and received 573 kudos... and counting!
Here is your chance to learn a little bit more about @beww357 (And to learn more about ACEs, go HERE)
1. Hi beww357, You've been a member of AT&T Community Forums for about a year, in this time you have posted over 3403 times, authored 109 solutions, and became an ACE! How'd you get so smart?
Not smart, just experienced. I started working in broadcasting in 1971, I’ve seen a lot of changes, and I try to keep up. 2. You mostly help users and answer questions about Directv Now. What do you like best about it, and do you use any other AT&T product and services?
Mainly I like that it’s a more logical delivery method than sending 600 channels into my home so I can ignore 593 of them.
The only other AT&T product I use is AT&T wireless.
3. With services like Directv Now and other current trends, what do you see TV being like in 10 years?
What do I see or what do I hope to see?
I hope the a la carte barrier will be truly broken.
I hope more realistic geographical restrictions will prevail. Right now we are being controlled by the range of a VHF TV transmitter, even though none of them are in use any more. I’d like to see an open source project enabled by at least some assistance from AT&T to allow some of us to create new and/or customize the DTVN apps (without having to sign NDAs). :-)
4. Speaking of your favorite tech... which tech companies do you admire most? Do you feel like any of them are still innovating in 2019?
Innovating? A lot of that seems to be coming from no-name Asian outfits these days. Huami is one. Just like with movies, a lot of the “innovation” is imitative, look how many smart watches are on the market, all basically the same device.
Sure would like to see the old Bell Labs revived.
5. What upcoming tech in most exciting to you? Real or maybe still science fiction.., what do you think will make the greatest impact in the near future?
My biggest hope is for a quantum leap in battery technology. Not only something that will allow our phones to run for 6 months but allow the efficient storage of intermittently sourced electricity.
6. What do you do when you're not hanging around the community? What are your favorite hobbies?
I like working on/with open source projects (I think Kodi even has some of my code, from back when it was XBMC) :-) Being in Wyoming, there are a lot of outdoor opportunities I take advantage of whenever I can. Hunting and fishing of course, but lots of other things to do. We had fun when a large part of the world was here for the eclipse. :-) 7. Any big 2018 vacation plans?
Just a trip to Jacksonville to see my nephew. Better do so before it gets too hot. Once made the mistake of going to Miami in July.
8. What's the one movie you're guaranteed to see this year?
I am unimpressed with most current offerings, most seem to be remakes or sequels. Fortunately I have several terrabytes of good movies. Maybe I’ll re-watch “Strangelove”. :-)
9. What advice do you have for new Community members?
Read the documentation and at least scan the forums. Understand what you are getting into. If you are not internet savvy have someone who is lined up to help you if you run into trouble. DTVN is far more of a “self-service” things than you may be used to. 10. Anything else you would like to add?
I think DirecTV Now assumed most of their subscribers would be younger internet-savvy people. I think they missed that the price point would appeal to seniors, many of whom are not network aware. I see a market for third-party support providers, both for initial installation and continuing support.