For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
Solly123's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Friday, May 20th, 2016 8:06 PM

Unlocked AT&T Blackberry Priv not updating to Marshmallow

Hi, I live in Cape Town, South Africa and I have bought one of the unlocked AT&T Blackberry Priv's on EBay. It works fine on our local networks in South Africa, but it is not allowing an OTA update to Marshmallow. Please assist me with some advice on how to correct this?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Guru

• 

1.2K Messages

8 years ago

You have to have an active AT&T SIM and must be on the AT&T network - meaning, working in the U.S.

There's no other way around it - besides, AT&T hasn't even release Marshmallow for the Priv yet, so even if you had what you needed, you still won't get it.  At least not at the moment.

The only other option you may have, when AT&T does decide to release Marshmallow, is hope that BlackBerry posts the autoloader for it when it does become available.  Blackberry does have autoloaders for the various models on their site - including an earlier release of Lollipop for the AT&T Priv, but only up to (I think) the May update.

So there it that possibility.  But, you ain't gettin' it now.

Shouldn't have bought an AT&T branded Priv.  Being unlocked lets it work on other networks, but the updates, at least OTA updates, are still tied directly to the mobile network.

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

It must be connected to the AT&T network to get the OTA.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

So how do I connect to the AT&T network if I am situated in another country? Can I purchase a temporary SIM or what are my options?

Employee

• 

3.5K Messages

8 years ago

You can't. The only way to connect is to be on the network domestically.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@Solly123

you bought a phone that is never going to get updates.  you should have bought the unlocked one from the BB store.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

8 years ago

I have seeked assistance from AT&T to resolve the issue.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

Here the problems is same i bought Blackberry Priv from ebay because i can buy it in My country

It is Unlocked AT&T Priv i can use it with my provider but same no Updates

I have question if i remove card and make VPN to USA VPN service provider ?

Can you configrm that i must have AT&T card inside ?

If i can make update via VPN can you find me AT&T VPN ?

Thank you

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

VPN wont do a thing.  The phone checks with the ATT network that the IMEI is valid then tells the phone its ok to download the update over wifi.  But to start the update you have to be IN THE UNITED STATE with A ACTIVE ATT ACCOUNT.  There are no ways around this unless BB posts the autoloader.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

What about having service from AT&T Mexico? I haven't been able to get a straight answer, contacted AT&T on Facebook, they had no clue. Their local operation (Formerly Iusacell, Unefon and Nextel) have no idea what I'm talking about.

If I can get the updates by having an AT&T Mexico SIM, I'll switch carriers for sure.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

8 years ago

i bought an ATT unlocked BlackBerry priv. but lately I have moved to India. How can I get the marshmallow update

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.