Explore & discover

Helpful Links

Unlocked AT&T Blackberry Priv not updating to Marshmallow

Highlighted
Tutor

Unlocked AT&T Blackberry Priv not updating to Marshmallow

Hi, I live in Cape Town, South Africa and I have bought one of the unlocked AT&T Blackberry Priv's on EBay. It works fine on our local networks in South Africa, but it is not allowing an OTA update to Marshmallow. Please assist me with some advice on how to correct this?

Message 1 of 37
Employee

Re: Unlocked AT&T Blackberry Priv not updating to Marshmallow

It must be connected to the AT&T network to get the OTA.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 2 of 37
Tutor

So how do I connect to the AT&T network if I am situated in another country? Can I purchase a temporary SIM or what are my options?

Message 3 of 37
Employee

You can't. The only way to connect is to be on the network domestically.

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 37
ACE - Expert

@Solly123

you bought a phone that is never going to get updates.  you should have bought the unlocked one from the BB store.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 37
Tutor

I have seeked assistance from AT&T to resolve the issue.

Message 6 of 37
Scholar
Solution
Accepted by topic author
Accepted by Solly123
‎05-25-2016 10:28 AM

You have to have an active AT&T SIM and must be on the AT&T network - meaning, working in the U.S.

There's no other way around it - besides, AT&T hasn't even release Marshmallow for the Priv yet, so even if you had what you needed, you still won't get it.  At least not at the moment.

The only other option you may have, when AT&T does decide to release Marshmallow, is hope that BlackBerry posts the autoloader for it when it does become available.  Blackberry does have autoloaders for the various models on their site - including an earlier release of Lollipop for the AT&T Priv, but only up to (I think) the May update.

So there it that possibility.  But, you ain't gettin' it now.

Shouldn't have bought an AT&T branded Priv.  Being unlocked lets it work on other networks, but the updates, at least OTA updates, are still tied directly to the mobile network.

Tags (1)
Message 7 of 37
Contributor

Here the problems is same i bought Blackberry Priv from ebay because i can buy it in My country

It is Unlocked AT&T Priv i can use it with my provider but same no Updates

I have question if i remove card and make VPN to USA VPN service provider ?

Can you configrm that i must have AT&T card inside ?

If i can make update via VPN can you find me AT&T VPN ?

Thank you

Message 8 of 37
ACE - Expert

VPN wont do a thing.  The phone checks with the ATT network that the IMEI is valid then tells the phone its ok to download the update over wifi.  But to start the update you have to be IN THE UNITED STATE with A ACTIVE ATT ACCOUNT.  There are no ways around this unless BB posts the autoloader.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 9 of 37
Contributor

What about having service from AT&T Mexico? I haven't been able to get a straight answer, contacted AT&T on Facebook, they had no clue. Their local operation (Formerly Iusacell, Unefon and Nextel) have no idea what I'm talking about.

If I can get the updates by having an AT&T Mexico SIM, I'll switch carriers for sure.

Message 10 of 37
Contributor

Marshmallow Update for Priv outside of USA

i bought an ATT unlocked BlackBerry priv. but lately I have moved to India. How can I get the marshmallow update

Message 11 of 37
Scholar

Re: Marshmallow Updated for priv

You can't... right now.  BlackBerry knows about the issue.

http://support.blackberry.com/kb/articleDetail?articleNumber=000038204&language=English

However, rIght now, there is no way to get any update on an AT&T branded Priv - even though it is unlocked - unless you have an active AT&T SIM and are on the network in the U.S.

Even with that, you'd only get what AT&T lets you have - which, at the moment - is NOT Marshmallow.  AT&T hasn't released it yet for the Priv - and there's some rumors that AT&T never will because they are giving up on the Priv and just don't care.  Another rumor is that it will be out later in June.  So, it is kind of all over the place when you have a carrier that simply won't communicate their intentions with their customers.

But, as the link above indicates, BlackBerry knows the problem of all those extra unlocked AT&T Privs that were dumped on the market recently and sold around the world for under 500 bucks.  Certainly wasn't expected, and now BlackBerry has to deal with the fact that they gave in to AT&T's bullying tactics in the first place to put in those extra bootloader locks to prevent just any OS autoloader from being used on the Priv.

Message 12 of 37
ACE - Expert

joeldf wrote:

You can't... right now.  BlackBerry knows about the issue.

http://support.blackberry.com/kb/articleDetail?articleNumber=000038204&language=English

However, rIght now, there is no way to get any update on an AT&T branded Priv - even though it is unlocked - unless you have an active AT&T SIM and are on the network in the U.S.

Even with that, you'd only get what AT&T lets you have - which, at the moment - is NOT Marshmallow.  AT&T hasn't released it yet for the Priv - and there's some rumors that AT&T never will because they are giving up on the Priv and just don't care.  Another rumor is that it will be out later in June.  So, it is kind of all over the place when you have a carrier that simply won't communicate their intentions with their customers.

But, as the link above indicates, BlackBerry knows the problem of all those extra unlocked AT&T Privs that were dumped on the market recently and sold around the world for under 500 bucks.  Certainly wasn't expected, and now BlackBerry has to deal with the fact that they gave in to AT&T's bullying tactics in the first place to put in those extra bootloader locks to prevent just any OS autoloader from being used on the Priv.

@joeldf

The bad part is ATT is not going to give into BB.  ATT requires all software but APPLE not to be made available for download they only want OTA.  I want to see how this unfolds.

Message 13 of 37
Contributor

I called AT&T today.  They transferred me to BB support.  They informed me that AT&T has the Marshmallow software for the PRIV, but is not yet ready to release it.  No timetable either.......

Message 14 of 37
Tutor

Blackberry Priv Question to AT&T about MM

I have AT&T Blackberry Priv unlocked but I'm living in another country. Can I get mm update without AT&T sim card? Some people talking that I must be in USA and I must have AT&T sim card and is it true? I need answer from AT&T who really knows...
Message 15 of 37
Share this topic
Share this topic
Additional Support