Troubleshoot your device issues
Felicia00's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Sunday, February 28th, 2016 3:27 AM

Phone just locked by itself???

I just got a blackberry Q5 it has a full keyboard and the top sceen is touch I go through at & t and I use to have straight talk. I had it laying on the table and when I woke up it was only about a half hour I was sleep I go to wake it up by pressing the top and it says put a password in??? Which I didn't put one on there and if I do it one more time it says my data will be wiped off??

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

8 years ago

This is an old model, where did you get it?

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

8 years ago

You may have put one on a while back but it just never locked for one of various reasons and now it has apparently locked I can't fathom any other way this could have happened phone don't randomly lock themselves or it is possible the previous owner never actually restored the phone so his code is on it what is the message on the screen if any (I would contact the previous owner if possible)

Professor

• 

3.2K Messages

8 years ago

@Felicia00

I'm not familiar with blackberry, but Apple and Android phones can be locked remotely by the owner if lost or stolen. You said you just got this phone; as @lizdance40, said, from whom?

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

8 years ago

Yes I just got it, I ordered it from amazon which I ordered from there many times, and I got it set up with at&t and I had best buy set it up it worked fine for a day then it put a lock on it itself. I went back to best buy spent 4 hours there and they said the software wasn't the right one for this type of phone so they upgraded it and did some other things. I'm using my phone now hopefully it won't lock again because it just does it out of the blue

ACE - Guru

• 

1.2K Messages

8 years ago

Sounds a bit fishy to me.  The phone will only accept the OS that is made for it, otherwise, it simply wouldn't work.  Maybe they meant that a newer OS was available than the one that was already on it.

Also, I've never heard of a BlackBerry setting a lock by itself.  I've used them since 2007, and regularly visit the CrackBerry forums which has all kinds of wierd issues brought up.  That's never been one of them.

You have to go into "Settings" > "Security and Privacy" > "Device Password" to set one up.  Now, there is an option to set how long it should wait before it kicks in.  Unlike the iPhone or an Android phone in which the lock will kick in as soon as you either lock it yourself hitting the lock button, or it times out and the screen goes off, on the BlackBerry, you set the time to as little as 1 minute and to as much as 1 hour.  That means you can set it to not lock for one whole hour.

Now, I'm sure more than an hour went by since the phone was last used by the last owner, shipped to you, and then first handled by you, so unless the first Best Buy persons set a lock on it, and a whole hour went by since that time... I don't know.

Just to be clear, you're talking about the device lock looking for a password (usually the 4 digit type), and not the BlackBerry ID password?  Those are two different things.  Also, have you already set your own BlackBerry ID and password on the device?

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.