Troubleshoot your device issues
Jebjr's profile

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

Monday, February 27th, 2017 3:58 AM

Ladies and Gentlemen, The BlackBerry Mobile KEYone

Blackberry Mobile just unveiled their latest PKB device made by TCL Communication. The phone definitely piqued my interest and I'm hoping AT&T considers selling the phone. YouTube video link: https://youtu.be/MTDFAvh5Dtw

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Well, I'm going to be buying one - it will absolutely work for what I need for my business and my clients.  In fact, they sold out so quickly on 31st as soon as they came on sale - that I haven't managed to get mine yet.  The mix of the Android 7 with the PKB is just what I need.  There will always be those who are sniffy about the brand - but the response to this particular phone has been phenomenal - both from industry critics and users.  And, as we know, the critics love to bash BB!  The tecchies at the Mobile World Congress this year loved the phone, the reviews are phenomenal so please don't criticize by what you think are 'underwhelming specs'...I personally don't look at my phone and think 'oohh, well those specs look a little less fancy than Samsung"....I just see if it works brilliantly for what I need. Just like everything else - whether TVs, phones, tablets, computer parts - companies build what their clients require and this is a high end device.  Just a shame that AT&T isn't going to carry it.  My experience as an AT&T customer has been underwhelming for years now.  This might have been the one offering that would have persuaded me to stay.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

If you want it thru sprint the only carrier in the us picking up the keyone you have to wait till August. The phone sold out because they only has 25k of them at launch. Tcl is having growing pains since they bought blackberry.

ACE - Guru

• 

1.2K Messages

7 years ago

TCL didn't "buy BlackBerry". That's really kind of a misleading statement - BlackBerry Ltd. is still its own company.

What TCL did was buy the rights (or license) to manufacture, and be the service point for, BlackBerry phones.  Just like Indonesia's Merah Putih licensed to build the BlackBerry Aurora for the Indonesian market earlier this year.  It didn't mean that Merah Putih bought BlackBerry too.

As to the KEYone, well... be careful this early in. 

Already, there seems to be some QC issues reported over at CrackBerry.  Maybe it's growing pains for a manufacturer building a phone they didn't originally design, but there's already a few reports of screen lift, and even totally coming off in at least a couple of cases.  Now, the situations are unclear - in one case, we are told it was dropped while in a car from hand to the center console, only a few inches, but we can't really be sure.  Still, it seemed to be an issue when several other reports came in regarding the screen. 

To be sure, others say their screen is fine, so was it just a small batch? We don't know.  Not until there's more evidence.

Others reported the back popping off after putting the phone in a car holder (hey, maybe the battery really is replaceable...Smiley Wink), keyboard backlight uneven (Of course, I had that in my old Torch 9800), some keys not working, red/green lines running up the entire screen... all of which are defects that TCL (or BlackBerry Mobile as the new division is called) will have to replace.  And, they will have to double down on manufacturing QC.

Again, it's a new device for them, so issues will come up, but I hope they can overcome the learning curve.  Initial reviews were positive overall.

One other thing reported to watch out for that can be an issue using the KEYone on AT&T. 

There are reports that a brand new SIM placed in a new unlocked KEYone does not get LTE - AT&T CS reps said that the IMEI of the KEYone is unknown and will not register with the AT&T network. You may have to get a rep who knows what they are doing to update the system with the IMEI or just use a fake one to force it to work.  Or, use a SIM from a previous AT&T branded phone.  Some suggest sticking the new SIM in an AT&T branded phone first, let it register itself to get LTE, then move it back to the unbranded phone.

This can be an issue with any unlocked, unbranded phone trying to be used on AT&T with a brand new SIM that was never in an AT&T phone to begin with.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

Lte on any Chinese built phone is a crap shoot. They need to use imei numbers issued from the USA. But they cost more to get.

Tcl should be used to building phones... The qc issues are interesting since the review units didn't have the problems.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

I'm an AT&T customer who purchase the KEYone.  Was upset that I was forced to leave the BB10 platform (passport), but I'm loving the KEYone so far.  No need to switch carriers as they are being sold unlocked and work perfectly with the AT&T network.

Tutor

• 

2 Messages

7 years ago

So far so good with me.  I'm not having any issues with AT&T LTE.  This is my second unlocked non ATT branded phone.  First was BB10 Passport

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

7 years ago

@joeldf

Thanks for your well informed opinion. I'm planning on holding on to my AT&T branded Passport a while longer. I will take a wait-and-see approach before I transition to a KEYone.  But I see the hype about how well the sales are already in the US; Best Buy has sold out as of a couple days ago. Perhaps I can get my mitts on a displayed unit at their store nearest me. I just may wait even longer for another iteration of the KEYone after 12 months or so. At any rate, happy days for BlackBerry!

Tutor

• 

3 Messages

7 years ago

Hello....

Let's get the record straight....all new is the KeyOne!

• I have been using this now since its 1st week launch....burning it up in biz and for personal.
  • I can attest in the present day without reverting to past years that this is "Best of Best".
  • Stated from actual usage......not as I read from historical reference to years long past! 

The "KeyOne" Blackberry is wonderfully great ! It easily competes against Samsung and IPhone. From my past experience with these competitor's....not a doubt in my mind "KeyOne" equal to and/or better. In addition to security/privacy capabilities the keyboard is terrific....advanced further!   Construction of phone 5 stars...and appearance is something very special in compliment to the android operating system with Blackberry features/enhancements. Price of phone even lees then the competition. Suggest looking at the higher end price clear case for the phone....although the phone it its entirety is one tough product and easily stands-alone without case , I find the cosmetics with the added safety a perfect match.

Hope this helps with experience that has been from pushing this phone to its daily limits .....available for purchase at Amazon and BestBuy . I'm so happy with Blackberry!

sgf32546@gmail.com

Mentor

• 

41 Messages

7 years ago

@ sgf32546,
I'm happy to hear you're enjoying your KEYone. I'd like to get my mitts on one to see how it feels. Bestbuy sales the phone on line, but I've not found a store display model and even the phone salespeople at the Bestbuy store don't seem to know about the KEYone! Perhaps when I'm ready I'll simply order it from Amazon.com. Cheers!

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

7 years ago

@Jebjr wrote:
@ sgf32546,
I'm happy to hear you're enjoying your KEYone. I'd like to get my mitts on one to see how it feels. Bestbuy sales the phone on line, but I've not found a store display model and even the phone salespeople at the Bestbuy store don't seem to know about the KEYone! Perhaps when I'm ready I'll simply order it from Amazon.com. Cheers!

@Jebjr

The problem is LACK of supply.....  TCL is having problems keeping up with demand for their own phones and making the BB phones.  They also did not estimate how well the keyone would sell to Blackberry users wanting something better than they had.  

@sgf32546

Nice review but to say the keyone could hold a candle to the s8 series is a stretch.  I had a keyone for testing and while a nice phone its under powered in my opinion.  Its also about 100 dollars over priced since its not sold thru most carriers.  I liked the keyboard it worked well.  I disliked the stutter it has from time to time or lag if you like.  If the phone had a sd835 and 4 gigs of ram it would be a beast. 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.