technotes's profile

Scholar

• 

62 Messages

Monday, January 7th, 2008 3:16 PM

Closed

Japanese Fonts on Blackberry Curve 8310

Help!

I want to install Japanese fonts onto the Blackberry Curve 8310.  What is the best way to do this?

I have downloaded the software for Chinese, and I see that it has the Japanese font also on it, but I am trying to add it, but I get a warning that it will remove the U.S. version applications from the device, and then, it errors out.

What is the recommended means of getting Japanese fonts onto my Blackberry Curve 8310?

Thanks!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

62 Messages

16 years ago

Here is the recommended method:

1)  Install the Blackberry Desktop Manager software from the CD

2)  Install the Chinese version of the Blackberry software for your system

3)  Select the japanese characters under the "Application Loader" to install the fonts onto your device.

If you need more specifics, let me know, and I can make it more step-by-step.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Scholar

• 

62 Messages

16 years ago

The most important point is that there are two different software packages you need, to make this happen:
Blackberry Desktop Software, and Blackberry Handheld Software

Blackberry Desktop Software -- is the software that you have on your computer, that you utilize to manage your Blackberry devices
Blackberry Handheld Software -- is the Blackberry Model Specific Software, that you can use to update the application information on your particular Blackberry Model, whether that be 8820, 8310, etc.

The problem that I found, when trying to re-explore this problem (Didn't document it too well the first time around, was that the Blackberry Desktop Software can easily be found on the blackberry.com website, but ... it is difficult to find the language version softwares for the Blackberry handhelds.)

to get the Blackberry Handheld Software, you have to go to your phone provider's website, and navigate that website, and then you can get the special RIM-approved software link to download the software.  (IF SOMEONE KNOWS AN EASIER WAY, LET ME KNOW ... but this way worked for me, so that's what I did.  )  I am not sure if the links will work for you, or not, but I included them, in hopes that they did, in order to pull up the correct links.

FIRST PART:  GET BLACKBERRY DESKTOP SOFTWARE AND BLACKBERRY HANDHELD SOFTWARE (TWO DIFFERENT THINGS)
2.  Choose Blackberry Desktop Software v4.5 (the one used for this example.)
3.  Hit Next
4. Download the Blackberry Desktop Software of your choice, by choosing the “Download” link beneath the software you want.(If you choose to not need Media manager, the download is MUCH smaller ... also, the Media Manager version takes a LOOONG time to install, and adds a degree of complexity to this.... for purposes of this guide, I chose the version WITHOUT Media Manager.)
5. Enter in some personally identifiable information.  (By default, the marketing boxes are not selected. so that is good.  NOTE:  I used fake information here, and the download worked just fine!)
6. Choose Next.
7. You have to agree to the agreement, whether you really agree to it or not.
8. Finally, download the Blackberry Desktop Manager software.  (Please save it to the desktop, so it is easier to find later.)
9. Now, we are going to download the Blackberry Device Software (Slightly Trickier)
10. Select the product that you are downloading. (Choose the proper phone.) Click Next.
11. Make sure that you choose the one for “Chinese, Japanese and Korean”. 
12. Click the “Download” button below the one you want to use.
13. Now, you need to enter some personally identifiable information again. (I used fake information here, only because I have given RIM my real name too many names already!)
14.  Click Next.
15.  Agree that you are not doing something illegal.
16.  Click next.
17.  Finally, download the software here.  (Please save it to your Desktop, so it is easier to find later.)

SECOND PART (INSTALL BLACKBERRY DESKTOP SOFTWARE and BLACKBERRY HANDHELD SOFTWARE .. TWO DIFFERENT THINGS!!)
1.   Install the desktop software accepting all defaults.
2.  Install the handheld software, accepting all defaults.
Now, on to the Blackberry Handheld Software Installation …

THIRD PART (CONNECT BLACKBERRY TO COMPUTER, AND USE DESKTOP MANAGER TO ADD THE LANGUAGE SUPPORT)
1. Plug the blackberry into the computer. 
2. Open “Desktop Manager”
3. Choose "Cancel" when invited to update your device (it doesn't fix the issue you're here for) later on, update if you feel free to.
4. Choose "Application Loader"
5.  Choose "Add/Remove Applications"
6.  Check the box for "Blackberry Japanese Characters and Font Support"
7.  Click "Next"
8.  Click "Finish" at the summary screen
9.  Pray it works for you.  (I couldn't test on the device I was using, sorry .....I had to cancel at the "Finish" screen.)

FOURTH PART:  Contact your phone provider, and make sure they know this information, so it is easier for their other customers!

DISCLAIMER:  Please contact me, if you feel like rewarding me for the FAQ 😛

I'll fix these directions more later (I don't have a device of my own, so I have to borrow one, to do this, sorry ....)

Message Edited by technotes on 07-30-2008 11:05:07 AM

Message Edited by technotes on 07-30-2008 11:18:39 AM

Message Edited by technotes on 07-30-2008 11:19:54 AM

Message Edited by technotes on 07-30-2008 11:20:35 AM

Message Edited by technotes on 07-30-2008 11:23:29 AM

Contributor

• 

1 Message

16 years ago

I'm a non-techie, but I would love to have japanese fonts on my bb too.  Could you do the step by step instructions?  And, where do I even begin getting japanese os????

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

16 years ago

If I install the Chinese version of the Blackberry software, does that cause the primary interface to display in Chinese?

I want an English interface with the ability to read Chinese characters in emails.  Actually I'd love to be able to enter Chinese characters via Pinyin like I do with my BlackJack but that requires special software for Windows Mobile and I haven't found an equivalent package for Blackberry.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

16 years ago

Hi. I tried to install Japanese character, but I couldn't figure it out.
I installed software in Chinese, then I couldn't read or go forward. Should I install in English first?
Please tell me how to do it step by step. Thank you!

Scholar

• 

62 Messages

16 years ago

Ok.  I can post the step-by-step this evening.  Sorry for the delay.

Scholar

• 

62 Messages

15 years ago

Princesscut wrote:
Hi. I tried to install Japanese character, but I couldn't figure it out.
I installed software in Chinese, then I couldn't read or go forward. Should I install in English first?
Please tell me how to do it step by step. Thank you!

Princesscut: 

I see what you may have done wrong.  You possibly selected to use the Chinese language, at the initial set-up of the device?  This would have caused you to set all of your menus and text to turn to Chinese.  If you can't read Chinese, then this is a bad idea.

What you should do is to choose "English" during the initial device setup.  This makes your interface English.  [This also deletes all of the other unused languages.]  Now, after you set up the device in English, you can come back later, and set up the device to be able to view the alternate characters/fonts.

I hope this helps!

Scholar

• 

62 Messages

15 years ago

yayaya6 wrote:
I'm a non-techie, but I would love to have japanese fonts on my bb too.  Could you do the step by step instructions?  And, where do I even begin getting japanese os????

yayaya6:

My detailed post should have answered your question.

Scholar

• 

62 Messages

15 years ago

Jet Yi wrote:
If I install the Chinese version of the Blackberry software, does that cause the primary interface to display in Chinese?

I want an English interface with the ability to read Chinese characters in emails.  Actually I'd love to be able to enter Chinese characters via Pinyin like I do with my BlackJack but that requires special software for Windows Mobile and I haven't found an equivalent package for Blackberry.

Jet Yi:  <--- Wow, cool name.  It reminds me of Jet Li, a famous  action movie hero who uses martial arts.

If you initially setup the device to use "English" language, it deletes the other languages from the device.  After this, you can come back and follow the steps that I listed, and you can add the alternate characters and fonts, without worrying about losing your English interface.  You can view your menus in English, but you can read the Chinese messages.

As far as character entry, I actually have no idea about that.  I added the support so a Japanese VP could view the alternate characters and fonts.  I do not know if my solution supports typing in alternate fonts.  I would pose that question with the phone company and/or blackberry support directly.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

this method works well for chinese language users.  so far no problems on my end.  worth giving it a shot!
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.