For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
Miacol's profile

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

Monday, November 17th, 2008 5:25 PM

Closed

Browser for the BOLD

I recently got a BB Bold, and the browser (let's call it for what it is) sucks compared to other browsers but nicer then the old browser.

Anyway I downloaded the Opera Mini browser and wanted to know has anyone made the Opera browser their default browser or if they are using other browsers on the Bold that is much better then the one the Bold comes with....

Accepted Solution

Mentor

• 

32 Messages

15 years ago

The browser even with 3g service is terrible and works very slowly! 3g is not supposed to be painfully slow!

I too use Opera, but it is not perfect (as mentioned it will not do ota downloads etc) but to access Opera quicker I changed the left key to go directly to Opera. Its a shame the BB Browser is so darn slow it actually got much nicer than the Curve's browser.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

15 years ago

I'm still using the default browser. It kills me a little inside each time I use it, but I haven't really found anything else that's a whole lot better.

Professor

• 

1.6K Messages

15 years ago

You can't make it the default.  If you click on a link in an email it will still open the built-in browser.  You can't perform OTA installs with Opera either.

What problems are you having with the built-in browser?  In many cases people aren't even bothering to ensure that the options that they need are enabled and just proclaim that "it sucks".

Mentor

• 

51 Messages

15 years ago

I did them same thing, I'm also running the Beta 4.2....

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

I've had my Bold for about a month, tried several configurations on all three 'browsers' and still find the web service the most disappointing feature of the Bold.  I may still have them wrong.  I've used the ATT/RIM recommended settings but little joy.  I'm thinking of adding Opera as others here have done.  Is Mobile or Mini the correct version?  As I understand it there is no Adobe Flash support in any of them but I'd still like to have the most useful browser available.  TIA

Scholar

• 

192 Messages

15 years ago

I played with the Bold at my local AT&T store on a few occasions.  I found the browser to be very slow and cumbersome,  even with 3G.

Scholar

• 

81 Messages

15 years ago

You all find the browser to be slow because you are routed through Blackberry server proxies before hitting the actual site you want to visit. That is how all Blackberries work on all providers ONLY on their default web browser (that's what the extra fee you pay for BB BIS is for). All other browsers (i.e. opera mini) avoid Blackberry proxies. You would think Blackberry would fix their servers and/or connections to them and/or congestion on them to make them quicker.
Message Edited by mspampi on 12-21-2008 01:22:16 AM
Message Edited by mspampi on 12-21-2008 01:23:25 AM
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.