For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
Troubleshoot your device issues
gliebisch's profile

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

Tuesday, October 19th, 2010 9:39 PM

Blackberry Torch 9800 Error 734 Tethering / Mobile Internet

I have several hours now into trying to get mobile internet / tethering working on my Torch 9800 on AT&T. The procedure is apparently a big secret with AT&T, although I specifically told my sales rep that I had to have the necessary data service to enable tethering, and he assured me it's there.

I have fixed the ip_modem_configuration.xml file per posts found elsewhere and have gotten as far as loading and running AT&T Communication Manager. It sees my phone and attempts connection but then I get Error 734 "PPP link control protocol was terminated."

Has anyone actually gotten this working yet or am I chasing a feature that the Torch is too premature to have working yet?

Accepted Solution

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

14 years ago

Just thought I'd follow up for everyone else that my tethering problem was solved when my AT&T rep said that the rate code had been entered incorrectly by them (to enable tethering). While I had tried both BB DM 6 Mobile Internet and ATT Communication Manager, he ultimately recommended using CM. Note that each of these programs installs DIFFERENT Dial Up connections--DM installs one called MOBILE , and ATT CM installs one called AT&T. And if you examine the properties of each, they have different parameters, notably the dialup number entry. I don't know the siginificance of that, if any. But since CM works, I'm now leaving well enough alone.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.