BB Maps on 8900 without data plan

Mentor

BB Maps on 8900 without data plan

Hello,

Will BB Maps work on the 8900 without a data plan.

Example.  Can I use the 8900 with BB Maps with a map downloaded away from a Wifi connection?

Thanks in advance.

Message 1 of 6 (2,904 Views)
Master
Solution
Accepted by topic author pjwstl
‎09-30-2015 1:39 AM

Re: BB Maps on 8900 without data plan

No, BB maps go through RIM servers, and without a BB data plan from AT&T, BB maps will not work........
Message 2 of 6 (2,897 Views)
Mentor

That is too bad.  The Nokia E71X allows this.
Message 3 of 6 (2,877 Views)

That's because Nokia phones use provider APNs for internet connectivity.

A major selling point of BlackBerries is the fact that you use the manufacturer to handle all data and messaging transactions. RIM's toys, RIM's rules.

Naturally, you still need a cell connection to use GPS services on a Blackberry.... for now.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 4 of 6 (2,821 Views)
Mentor

I am using an 8310 without a BB specific data plan, just regular internet and I have BB maps on my phone, along with google maps.  Its all dependant on the service books your phone has and what at&t provides to you.  It could be the fact that I did have the BB plan on my phone months ago with a diff carrier and still am running the service books from them(and have them all backed up in case).  You can use gps without a cell connection, check out mgmaps for setting up pre-cached maps for your area.
Message 5 of 6 (2,739 Views)
Highlighted

Thanks for the heads up on Gmaps. I'd tried using a similar bit of software for my DS (Google Maps, cached, no GPS), but had no luck in getting it to keep the map tiles saved, despite having 8GB of storage space to play with.

I'll be acquiring a Storm soon, but I'm not interested in using it as a phone, so Gmaps may prove pretty useful.

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don’t necessarily represent AT&T’s positions, strategies or opinions.
Message 6 of 6 (2,717 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.