Troubleshoot your device issues
BlackJack93117's profile

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

Friday, October 3rd, 2014 9:18 PM

AT&T ‘Rumoured To Sell Smartphones’

ATT-Logo1

On September 24th 2014 John Chen announced the official launch of the BlackBerry Passport. As part of that launch at was announced that AT&T would exclusively carry the Passport for sale in the US.

On September 25th the Passport sold out across all outlets worldwide. Shop BlackBerry then asked people to register their interest and, here in the UK, Carphone Warehouse, who exclusively carry the device, replaced the Buy button with a Pre-Order button on their website so people could give them money in advance of more stock.

The last point is quite important. Any commercial operation, when faced with a product in high demand, would be slightly off their rocker if they weren’t prepared to take customer’s money prior to new stock landing. They get the money in the bank and can much more accurately predict how much new stock they will need.

In such a way it was 2 days ago that Carphone Warehouse received over £1000 from me in advance of the Passport being restocked.

Easy money.

Meanwhile, across the pond in the land where the customer is king, what have AT&T been doing to take advantage of their period of exclusivity?

Well, other than merrily comfirming that they WILL carry the Passport, nothing.

Actually, it’s much worse than nothing. AT&T seem to be actively going out of their way to antagonise prospective customers. There is no way at all to order, pre-order or even register an interest with AT&T. Tweets are either ignored or answered with a stock ‘coming soon’ answer. Queries on the official AT&T forum are locked so as to prevent discussion of the product.

There is no way to give them any money.

So, what’s going on?

Well, N4BB tried to answer that one with a blog entitled ‘AT&T BlackBerry Passport Release Date Rumored For Early Next Year’.

Which was about as much help as a soggy flannel since there were no facts in their at all, just whispers and conjecture.

Others have speculated too. But the truth is that those that wish to buy a Passport from AT&T DO NOT CARE about ‘why’ all they want to know is WHEN which is the least thye deserve, frankly.

So, AT&T, let’s spell it out for you.

We do not care if you have unsold iPhone and Samsung inventory to get rid of. We do not care if you haven’t trained your staff yet. We do not care if you didn’t iron something out with BlackBerry beforehand. We do not care if some iPhone user within your organization can’t see opportunity when it slaps them in the face with a wet fish.

Heck, we do not care if your problem is something as stupid as you don’t like the fact the corners aren’t rounded.

Listen up and listen good. It’s not your job to tell us what we want.

It’s your job to take our money and provide us with the product!

And if you aren’t capable of that give up your exclusive deal to someone who is.

In the meantime, we can only assume that the future AT&T business model is not to sell smartphones.

We’d heard a rumour you did, but.like most rumours it appears to be false.

#WeWantThePassport

Contributor

• 

1 Message

10 years ago

I'm thinking that I can go ahead and stop paying my ATT wireless bill. After all, it appears that they don't want my money, since they refuse to release the Passport, not to mention any tidbit of info.

What say you, ATT?

#WeWantThePassport

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

10 years ago

With all the flack AT&T is receiving for shipping delays on iPhone 6 pre-orders, I'm not surprised that they aren't pushing pre-orders of the new Blackberry.  They have gotten beaten-up enough for Apple not getting them enough stock to cover iPhone pre-orders so why would they intentionally put themselves into that position again with another vendor and their new product?  I imagine that tehy will start accepting orders when they know that they will be able to fulfill them.

AT&T get's shot down for selling pre-orders on one phone, and now they get shot down for not doing it on another.  It sounds to me like they will just get thrown under the bus no matter what they do.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

I hadn't though tof that. Poor AT&T :((

Don't worry . They can take orders for Passports, BlackBerry will make more.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

At least that way, they will know how many to make.

Teacher

• 

22 Messages

10 years ago

The bigger problem is that they are not communicating. For a communications company, that's a bit odd.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

So they are getting complaints for not having enough of the iPhone? That isn't an AT&T problem, that is an Apple issue. The problem is no information from AT&T other than we will carry it. But that could be Next year! Which is a real bummer for many ready to upgrade now. The key to continued success as a vendor of smartphones for AT&T is stocking the phone and then selling the phone and providing great customer service.

Tutor

• 

8 Messages

10 years ago

Let me add this thought to my post since I can't edit it: stocking, selling and great customer service. In the case of the BlackBerry Passport, AT&T it is three strikes and your out! #WeWantThePassport

Tutor

• 

9 Messages

10 years ago

Bring on the Blackberry Passport already.

This is the most innovative device to launch this year.

Please give us a realease date of the Blackberry Passport

#WeWantThePassport 

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

10 years ago

if you want a passport so bad just buy one full retail at BB or amazon.  There is no reason for this.  If ATT cant get stock they are not going to advertise that.  Its just not going to happen.

And by the way its a nice phone but its not all that.  Im sorry.  I got mine this morning.  I will just give it to the oldest kid once I'm done playing with it or put it on ebay.  I was a BB user back in the day.  os is nice but not as polished as I thought it would be.

Also if BB cant forcast stock they may want to get out of the smart phone business all together.  If they cant build enough stock for world demand there in trouble out of the gate.  How many can they make a day?  That would be a nice number to know.   If apple can move 10 million phones in one weekend that says something.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.