Troubleshoot your device issues
Wfischer3's profile

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

Monday, September 7th, 2009 10:45 PM

Closed

8900 WiFi problem

I'll preface this by apologizing if this has been posted before by others, but I have not been able to find an answer that works, here or elsewhere.

Background: I've had a BB 8900 (with WiFi capability) for about a month and a half, and I have AT&T service WITH a data plan.

Problem: When I try to get on wifi by checking the box in "Manage Connections," the box will get a check mark and my network name will show up, but there will always be a white dash instead of the green checkmark on the right side, and on the main screen the wifi symbol is always gray.  I have had ONE time when the thing actually connected, but every other time I've tried, it hasn't worked.  I've tried it on other wireless networks without success, I've tried changing the browser options to "hotspot," and a number of other suggestions I've seen online, but to no avail.  This does not seem like it should be an overly difficult process!! Does anyone have any suggestions?  It would be very nice to have this working the way it should.

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Master

• 

5.1K Messages

15 years ago

Wfischer, try the instructions that are posted here, and let us know if they worked for you or not.......

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

15 years ago

I could SWEAR I'd tried it before, but the battery pull and router cycling actually worked for the logging in at home part.  Thanks!

Master

• 

5.1K Messages

15 years ago

Wfischer3 wrote:

I could SWEAR I'd tried it before, but the battery pull and router cycling actually worked for the logging in at home part.  Thanks!

You are welcome, I am glad it helped. 🙂

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

15 years ago

I have a different problem.

I have a Berry 8900 W/O Berry data plan. I can't afford the monthly as I'm a student and I have WiFi available everywhere. What I've been noticing is that when I use the browser after I've connected to my complex's wifi, I'm getting charged data usage through MediaNet. I called AT&T and called the PPU but now I can't send MMS. I feel like I'm stuck in a rut now. I don't want to get charged PPU data when I don't even want to use it but I need PPU cuz I want to send MMS.

Is there way around this situation? I've set all the browser options correctly I think by setting it to "Hotspot Browser" and what not. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help everyone! Appreciate it!

Master

• 

5.1K Messages

15 years ago

@supershick wrote:

I have a different problem.

I have a Berry 8900 W/O Berry data plan. I can't afford the monthly as I'm a student and I have WiFi available everywhere. What I've been noticing is that when I use the browser after I've connected to my complex's wifi, I'm getting charged data usage through MediaNet. I called AT&T and called the PPU but now I can't send MMS. I feel like I'm stuck in a rut now. I don't want to get charged PPU data when I don't even want to use it but I need PPU cuz I want to send MMS.

Is there way around this situation? I've set all the browser options correctly I think by setting it to "Hotspot Browser" and what not. Am I doing something wrong?

Thanks for any help everyone! Appreciate it!

MMS uses a small amount of data, if you want to use this feature, you will at least need to have PPU data on your account.
Message Edited by Irish Rose on 09-15-2009 05:04:05 AM

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

15 years ago

Irish,

I totally understand that but what I'm concerned about is when I'm using my Wifi network and I open my browser, it charges me data through MediaNet. I think I have all the settings correct for my phone. Anyway around this? Anyway to make absolutely sure that I'm accessing Wifi and I wont get charged? Currently I have PPU turned off and I want to turn it back on. 

Master

• 

5.1K Messages

15 years ago

@supershick wrote:

Irish,

I totally understand that but what I'm concerned about is when I'm using my Wifi network and I open my browser, it charges me data through MediaNet. I think I have all the settings correct for my phone. Anyway around this? Anyway to make absolutely sure that I'm accessing Wifi and I wont get charged? Currently I have PPU turned off and I want to turn it back on. 

Nope, the only sure bet, is to place a data block on the account, otherwise there is still that off chance, that you will connect to AT&T data network, instead of using WiFi. It happens to me sometimes, when I use WiFi, only I have a data plan, so I do not worry about it.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

15 years ago

My problem is this: I connect to my home wifi network, can browse the internet, etc., but the Wifi logo is still greyed out (not grey + name, just a grey wifi). Is this normal when you don't have  BB service plan?

Master

• 

5.1K Messages

15 years ago

@jd292 wrote:
My problem is this: I connect to my home wifi network, can browse the internet, etc., but the Wifi logo is still greyed out (not grey + name, just a grey wifi). Is this normal when you don't have  BB service plan?

Are you noticing any data charges from AT&T, during the times that you have been using WiFi on your device?
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.