For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
abhijith1306's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Sunday, September 25th, 2016 11:03 AM

unlocked and connceted to AT&T

Hi,

I currently live in the US and would like to buy the iPhone 7 connceted to AT&T as reccomended by my colleagues but I might get transferred elsewhere anytime like say 2 months. So can I buy this unlocked and connceted to AT&T iPhone 7 and use other carrier on other country later or then I again have to get it unlocked

Or should I wait for the release of the factory unlocked iPhone 7?

PS: I couldn't find any assistance anywhere

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

8 years ago

You should be able to buy an unlocked model from Apple. AT&T does not sell unlocked phones and it can be problematic unlocking a phone so soon after your purchase.

If you buy the unlocked model from Apple, it can be used on any provider.

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

8 years ago

@abhijith1306

@kdfederer.  

Currently, Apple is only selling carrier models, which are locked to ATT.  In another couple months you can buy an unlocked phone from Apple.  

Since that doesn't help you a bit, do NOT buy the ATT model.

The Verizon phone is unlocked out of the box as required by their block C purchase.  Buy the Verizon version, anywhere it's available, Best Buy, target, etc.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

From my research, I believe you are underestimating the details when you state:

"Buy the Verizon version, anywhere it's available, Best Buy, target, etc."

At this moment if you are not a Verizon customer or are not willing to start an account with Verizon, you can not purchase a Verizon iPhone 7....

Unrestricted, carrier free iPhone 7's are currently not being sold in the USA.  Of course, the assumption is, that will change in the near future.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@cvbcvb wrote:

From my research, I believe you are underestimating the details when you state:

"Buy the Verizon version, anywhere it's available, Best Buy, target, etc."

At this moment if you are not a Verizon customer or are not willing to start an account with Verizon, you can not purchase a Verizon iPhone 7....

Unrestricted, carrier free iPhone 7's are currently not being sold in the USA.  Of course, the assumption is, that will change in the near future.

@cvbcvb

I walked into a verizon store yesterday and was going to buy one full retails but they did not have the color my daughter wanted.  The manager was going to sell it to me.  Its a sale....

So then we went to Bestbuy they had the iphone 7 she wanted.  I layed down 7 bills and walked out with the phone stuck her att sim card in the phone and transfered here stuff from her s6 to the iphone 7.  When you list a phone for sale at full retail they have to sell it to you.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

8 years ago

I would suggest that you check into the Apple iPhone Upgrade Program.  According to what I read online, that program allows you to buy a carrier unlocked phone and use it on any carrier.  If that is really the case, then you could buy your new iPhone 7 using that program, then in a few months, use it on another carrier.

DO keep in mind that Apple has started using the Intel cellular radio in som eof their new iPhone 7 models, so those phones will not support CDMA service.  If you want to use an iPhone on a carrier that requires CDMA coverage as well, then you will want to consider purchasing your iPhone directly from that carrier, as some carriers may refuse to activate phones that they did not sell.

ACE - Expert

• 

23.9K Messages

8 years ago

@GeekBoy

The apple upgrade program requires a US Based carrier from what I have read on it.  If he gets transfered overseas I dont know how this would effect it.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

8 years ago

Well, if they are looking to use it on AT&T now, but fear they willl be transferred to another location later, then they would be activating it on a US carrier now.  As long as the phone is unlocked, then they would be able to move it to another carrier later...

ACE - Sage

• 

117.1K Messages

8 years ago

And we are full circle to "Buy a full priced Verizon version".  You cannot purchase an unlocked ATT iPhone 7.   If you buy an ATT version, it will automatically be locked to ATT for 6 months if you use as a Gophone.  

Unlike other carriers Verizon MUST sell their phones as unlocked.  Since the Verizon version has all cellular bands, and the iPhone 7 from AT&T does not, I would not recommend purchasing it.

If purchasing a phone at full price, you can buy a phone anywhere.  My Ex is required to buy his phones to use on my account.  He has no account permissions.  He walked in to AT&T in May and bought an iPhone.  Period.  It is of course, locked to ATT.

Master

• 

4.1K Messages

8 years ago

@GeekBoy wrote:

Well, if they are looking to use it on AT&T now, but fear they willl be transferred to another location later, then they would be activating it on a US carrier now.  As long as the phone is unlocked, then they would be able to move it to another carrier later...

OK,. I have just tested this and verified it is correct.  I have an iPhone 7 I purchased frmo Apple using the iPhoen Upgrade Program and activated it with my AT&T account on launch day, a little over a week ago.  I just powered the phone off, swappit the SIM out with a T-Mobile SIM I had, and the phone properly recognized it had a T-Mobile SIM and accepted it with no issues.  This tells me that if you purchase an unlocked iPhone 7 from Apple using the iPhone Upgrade Program, then you can use it on any other carrier you like, you just have to activate it with one of the US carriers as part of the purchase agreement.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

8 years ago

So if one does have an unlocked iPhone 7 all one needs to worry about is the Verizon Qualcomm modem vs the AT&T/T-Mobile Intel modem. 

There's anacdotal evidence that the Intel modem is faster on some GSM/LTE Networks than the Qualcomm modem.  Apple didn't make this decision buying process easy...

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.