For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
Rich44's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Saturday, September 14th, 2013 4:11 PM

switch users

What does AT&T charge to switch users? I will soon upgrade to an iphone 5S, which I will then want to trade for my daughter's 4S, since she can't upgrade yet. How many upgrade or activation fees should we both expect to pay?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@Rich44 wrote:

1) We aren't required to be in a family plan to swap upgrades?

2) The new 5s would need the new sim card. Is there a charge for that?

3) My iphone 4 sim would go in her 4S, or do you think that would require a new sim card also?

4) Would she have the new 2 year contract, or would I?

Thanks

1) I don't believe so. 

2) There might be but most corporate stores will provide any new sims for free. 

3) No, you would not need a new sim provided your current sim does not get deactivated which would happen if you activate the new sim in the 5s and it is programmed for your number. This is why you should do the upgrade in a corporate store so they can ensure the 5s sim is set up for your daughter's number, not yours. If you get the 5s sim set up for her number before it is activated, no new sims will be needed. 

4) since you are using your upgrade, you get the new 2 year contract. 

Professor

• 

1.9K Messages

11 years ago

You should expect to pay a $36 upgrade fee if you choose to renew your 2 year contract commitment.

If you choose upgrade via AT&T Next (only available in store or the AT&T site, NOT via Apple), then there will be no fee, however you would pay around $22 monthly for 20 months.

There will be no fee on your daughter's line of you giving her your previous phone. They will only have to update the IMEI to have the correct data plan.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

I want to give my new 5S to my daughter, and take her 4S.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Let me rephrase:

I have an iphone 4 and am eligible to upgrade to the 5S soon. My daughter has a 4S and is not eligible for an upgrade until Oct 2014. I want to be able to purchase the 5S and let her use it, while I use her 4S. We are not in a family plan.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

11 years ago

@Rich44 wrote:

Let me rephrase:

I have an iphone 4 and am eligible to upgrade to the 5S soon. My daughter has a 4S and is not eligible for an upgrade until Oct 2014. I want to be able to purchase the 5S and let her use it, while I use her 4S. We are not in a family plan.

Swapping upgrades is very common and there is no extra charge. You'll pay one $36 upgrade fee plus the price of the new iPhone. You may need new SIM cards since the 4s and 5s have different size sims but can avoid that if you do the upgrade in a corporate store. They can activate the 5c on your daughters line, then all you need to do is put your sim in the 4s. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

1) We aren't required to be in a family plan to swap upgrades?

2) The new 5s would need the new sim card. Is there a charge for that?

3) My iphone 4 sim would go in her 4S, or do you think that would require a new sim card also?

4) Would she have the new 2 year contract, or would I?

Thanks

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

11 years ago

Thanks so much

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.