For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
stevensh01's profile

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

Sunday, September 23rd, 2012 1:41 PM

"Stealing" an upgrade from a different account ?

Hello,

I have a question that I was hopping some one can shine some light on.

We have 2 seperate family plans with 2 lines each. 1 family plan is eligible for an upgrade on both lines, that family plan has no data at all, just 2 regular phones, I want to purchase an iPhone 5 on that account and activate it on the other account. Is that possible with out actually adding data plan to the account where the phone was ordered ? Or can the data plan be cancled right away ? The plan is to activate the phone on a diffrent account from the start by calling ATT (due to micro SIM)

Thank you in advance for the answers. 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

Ok just got my wife's ip5 4 weeks from order date ! The activation worked, called told cs original order account and then were I want to activate. No issues at had it active in about 10 minutes ! Only thing is iPhone during activation displayed the other number and asked that account verification info, but still activated properly on the number I needec !

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

12 years ago

Why do you have two separate family plans, why not one family plan with 4 lines? Just wondering.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

1 plan is for my parents in law and 1 plan is for me and my wife

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

12 years ago

That being said I would highly doubt you can use an upgrade from one family plan to use on another family plan.

Teacher

• 

16 Messages

12 years ago

I want to purchase on there upgrade and then activate it on my account, I dont see why not, just want to make sure 

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

12 years ago

I think it works differently than that. If you were switching the line you purchased the iphone 5 on to another line on the SAME family plan I know that that is doable. If you're taking the phone and trying to use it on a whole DIFFERENT family plan I don't think it is without repercussions for the 1st line you associated the iphone 5 with. It would have to be activated under THAT line and have a data plan added to it.I'm sure you can cancel all that afterwards but I believe you would have to pay the 350 dollar etf fee too. Might want to call Att and ask them just to be sure about it before actually doing it. Goodluck! 🙂

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

12 years ago

@stevensh01 wrote:

I want to purchase on there upgrade and then activate it on my account, I dont see why not, just want to make sure 

You can purchase on their upgrade but may not be able to activate on your account. A new security procedure requires the phone is activated on the line which was upgraded. Once that is done, you can swap phones which will also mean getting new SIM cards. You can complete the swap at an AT&T store. 

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

I'm actually thinking about doing this. However, everything will be within the same family account, unlike the OP. My question is, will swapping SIM cards at the AT&T store cost anything?

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

12 years ago

Can you combine all users into one plan?

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

12 years ago

wchen - the iphone 5 has a nano sim, so if youre just switching numbers around I called Att first to see if they can switch the lines on the account without it costing you anything.... at most I believe if you do have to pay for new sim cards last time I checked they were around a 6.00 dollar price. So if you do need to purchase them they won't be very expensive... and some reps will give you the sims for free, its just the luck of the draw with what kind of rep you get. 😉

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.