The new iPhone 15
tbomber's profile

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

Monday, August 18th, 2014 11:49 PM

php issues over att network

Any php files on the website work fine across all browsers, phones etc except on AT&T service the php functions are replaced with semi random characters. As well, a 0 is placed at the bottom of every php page. If we switch the device over to Wifi, problems are gone.

If all include/include_once functions are removed the page works fine.

Also, this doesn't seem to be specific to just Apple devices.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Brad - sorry for the delayed response. I was off the grid for a bit for Labor Day weekend.

RE: being related to DNS servers. -- If it is, then it is out of our control and would be something that AT&T controls through their cellular network.

RE: Can I have my iPhone use open or google dns? Yes, but only when you are connected to a WiFi network. You cannot change the DNS lookup for cellular data (see previous point).

I have not had any luck with this issue yet, and was hoping that jctek123 had an update from his client.

I have tried to call AT&T a couple of times, but I don't have the time to sit on the phone for 2 or 3 hours. When I do get to talk with someone, I either get someone who is clueless, who doesn't care, or both.

I am really hoping that jctek can provide an update, or maybe even get us the number that his client called. If we all call the same person, maybe we can start making some headway with this?

I am completely at a loss with this, and I feel it is completely in AT&T's hands.

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Tiny - thanx for the info with FF and Chrome, and for the confirmation that it is happening in KY.

If anyone on this thread who is seeing this issue comes up with any further info, or even a solution, please do let us all know.

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

I agree tbomber,

We are only seeing these extra characters with att. The same server is sending out the sites fine, the files on the server are fine. We have tested multiple browsers and multiple ISPs. This is ONLY with att. I would like to switch DNS, put that is not an option as you noted. I also do hosting and have looked at that end put do not find any issues with files, control system, upgrades and it does not show on any other network. Interesting that https and wget do NOT show it.

We do need someone from att with a solid info of the network to look at this. I keep wondering, is it a network virus able insert characters in some situations or maybe a network protection system that is just a little off and causing some slight incertions. 

I am also thinking that we should reach out to other forums. I am going to post the question to the plesk forum and link to this, maybe other hosters have seen this? Brad

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

Sorry guys, nothing to report on my end.  My customer actually called back and they said they had no record of the orginal call.  SHOCKER!

They esclated it back to a higher level tech and they are still looking into it and my client is still waiting to hear back.  Wish I had better news!

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks for staying on it jctek! I will report back any comments/info from the hosting forum. Brad

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

10 years ago

Saiena - wow, you rock! Excellent find!

My results follow ...

I tried adding the  to my httpd.conf, and even in an .htaccess file:

#Gzip

AddOutputFilterByType DEFLATE text/text text/html text/plain text/xml text/css application/x-javascript application/javascript text/javascript

#End Gzip

But, that did not work for me.

However, after adding:

and handling it from within PHP, it solved the problem! 

Information on this callback function can be found here: http://php.net/manual/en/function.ob-gzhandler.php

I didn't even to stop to think that it could have been the result a proxy assuming compressed format.

Thank you for sharing this result. I hope all the others on this thread give this a try and report back their results.

Thanx again,

tbomber 

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

Thanks so much for the info!

Do either of you know a reason why ATT would not correct this?

I have called and they have openned a case on it. They said that mostlikely someone would get back with me about this. Hopefully they do and we can get this resolved or know why files are not being transferred correctly. Brad

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

10 years ago

The above fix worked for me as well!  Thanks!

One of my developers did find this on the AT&T website so reading this it seems like they won't be fixing it.  They expect compression to be enabled from now on as a best practice!

http://developer.att.com/application-resource-optimizer/docs/best-practices/text-file-compression

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

I see your point and thanks for posting more info! Looks like I need to learn more about this.

I do hope however, that ATT is going to get a different point of view on this one.

I just do not agree with them making new standards which cause issues. Internet standards should be set by a larger group.

This is the forum post in the hosting communty. Brad

http://forum.parallels.com/showthread.php?315816-ATT-wireless-network-inserting-extra-characters-into-web-page

Tutor

• 

11 Messages

10 years ago

NOTE:

We did get the interest of a Developer at ATT, they are looking into this. They may be able to pass on the info to the correct departments. I will post if I learn any more. Brad

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.