The new iPhone 15
Alianna's profile

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

Friday, September 30th, 2016 6:50 PM

misinformation

So we lost an fairly newly purchased iphone 6 Plus back in July 21st 2016. Went into ATT store to see what we could do, and were told that insurance, which I was paying, didn't cover lost phones. So We used an old 5S we had available instead of getting into a new contract. This past weekend, I go into an ATT store to upgrade one of our other phones to the 7, and ask about insurance coverage. At that point we are told that insurance covers lost phones!!!

So, did ATT lie about the 6plus coverage? Did the employee not know? Because it's been a couple of months, and the original iphone6 number is no longer in my plan, ATT can't help me. Everyone feels really bad, but no one can help me. 

So I paid insurance for nothing?? I've been good to ATT, going on 10 years. Feels horrible.

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Anyone have an email or contact I can use to try to fix this?

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

7 years ago

Your insurance is not with ATT, it is with Asurion. Contact them. I would think you can still file a claim. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Alianna wrote:

So we lost an fairly newly purchased iphone 6 Plus back in July 21st 2016. Went into ATT store to see what we could do, and were told that insurance, which I was paying, didn't cover lost phones. So We used an old 5S we had available instead of getting into a new contract. This past weekend, I go into an ATT store to upgrade one of our other phones to the 7, and ask about insurance coverage. At that point we are told that insurance covers lost phones!!!

So, did ATT lie about the 6plus coverage? Did the employee not know? Because it's been a couple of months, and the original iphone6 number is no longer in my plan, ATT can't help me. Everyone feels really bad, but no one can help me. 

So I paid insurance for nothing?? I've been good to ATT, going on 10 years. Feels horrible.

The insurance isn't even with AT&T, so I'm not sure why they'd lie about it. 

Sorry, I have to give you a hard time about this:

• You paid for insurance without knowing what it covered?
  • And then when you lost the phone you still didn't look to see what it covered?

Done with giving you a hard time now!

So you gave up the phone number at that point? You didn't have them activate that phone number on the 5s? And created a new number? 

That might be an issue depending on when the timeline was, what do you think @lizdance40

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Lizdance40—thank you. We did open a case with Asurion, but because that line was closed, they won't handle it. Said it was ATT's error so I need to deal with ATT.

Garylapointe—I already feel like a fool, so your message doesn't make me feel worse. So you are right to give me a tough time, but that doesn't change the fact that we did go to ATT to ask what to do, and we were misinformed—the associate said no to loss, only damages. And I believed the associate because this was his job—his territory. He probably didn't lie, you are right, there is no reason to lie. He might have been new or confused. I don't know. And I was not there alone, there were three of us.

Honestly—and this is my bad: I don't usually think about insurance beyond signing up for it. It's one of those things I buy for every trip, phones, medical, appliance, car, etc, and rarely have to check into it—I don't remember what's what. I've personally had the iphone since it first came out, and have had insurance, NEVER before lost a phone, so never really thought about loss. My bad, believe me, now I know.

To further clarify: my nephew was on my plan. I've covered him for years. He lost this phone and we went into ATT to ask about insurance. I thought it could be covered. Again, at that point we were told that there was NO coverage for loss, only for damages. 

And so my nephew took over my sister's old 5S. As for leaving the plan, my nephew went on his own since he turned 21. Left to Verizon, his thing, maybe got a deal—who knows. I've been with ATT for so long, haven't looked elsewhere. Just busy with work and family, letting this ride. 

I do other foolish things. Pay for cable which I do not use. Have a home phone which I do not use. Etc. Just need a little time to get organized. 

I feel like the fool who walked into ATT and bought insurance, and later, when needed, didn't remember the details. I might as well have been sold the Eiffle Tower. So yeah, it hurts. But even if I am the biggest fool, and shake your head if you will, the associate at the ATT store said to 3 of us, when we went in to find out what to do, that "LOSS IS NOT COVERED". And we believed the associate. And I was very upset with my nephew for losing the phone. Now I am just shaking my head at myself.

For the record, I have been with ATT for almost 10 years. Never missed a payment, never asked for anything. I paid for insurance AND full price for the phone.

So that said, anyone here know if there is a person at ATT or an email for someone who can help me? Or just let it go?

Guru

• 

629 Messages

7 years ago

@Alianna

Asurion insurance as always covered lost or stolen devices if the claim is made within a specific time frame, as @lizdance40 mentioned.  Is this the type of insurance you've had?  If so, I'm surprised that the representative who originally added insurance to your account did not go over the specifics of what it covered and the fact that, should you ever need to make a claim, there would be a deductible you'd be required to pay, the amount of which would vary depending on the type of phone you were needing to replace.  

Tutor

• 

4 Messages

7 years ago

Anyway, thank you guys for trying to help me. 🙂  If anything it helps to vent. If ATT can't help me I will just take this as a sign that I need to take some days off of work, a staycation, and get organized. I don't even know if I am in a good plan with ATT, I just pay...

Anyway, thank you, really. Have a great weekend. 

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

@Alianna  the forum is here for any questions you may have.   

The only thing I can think is the employee assumed your iPhone was covered under AppleCare, not Asurion.  Not a good assumption, but so it goes.  The kid is on his own and good for him.

Scholar

• 

106 Messages

7 years ago

Hello, I would speak to a supervisor or manager with the insurance company, AT&T, or both. If they can't or won't do anything, keep going up the ladder. Even if you have to email the CEO, I wouldn't stop until I can't go any further.  If you paid for coverage, they should honor it. I've had personal experience with getting issues resolved by escalating the issue to upper management, because they generally can do more. Squeaky wheel gets the grease. It's worth a try. Good luck and hope you can get this resolved.  

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Alianna wrote:

I do other foolish things. Pay for cable which I do not use. Have a home phone which I do not use. Etc. Just need a little time to get organized. 

The cable comment made my day! I'm still thinking about it this afternoon.

Thank you for sharing it 🙂

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.