For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
JEM's profile

Guru

• 

72 Messages

Tuesday, April 10th, 2012 8:19 PM

Closed

is my phone unlocked?

I received my email from ATT telling me that my phone is unlocked. 

Thank you for contacting AT&T Customer Care about unlocking your iPhone. We have reviewed your request and confirmed that you are eligible to have the requested iPhone unlocked. To complete the unlock, simply:

1. Open iTunes on your Mac or PC and verify that you have internet connectivity.

2. Connect your iPhone using the dock connector to USB cable that came with your iPhone.

3. Backup and restore your iPhone using iTunes . For information on backup and restore, please visit http://support.apple.com/kb/HT1414

4. After restoring, your iPhone will be unlocked. Additional information on unlocking can be found at http://support.apple.com/kb/TS3198

For questions regarding AT&T’s wireless service and iPhone, please visit the Phone/Device Learning Center. We thank you for your continued business and look forward to providing you with the best customer service.

I did all those steps and didn't get a confirmation message stating that my phone is unlocked.  There is no visual way of telling if it is or isn't!

I called ATT who referred me to apple.  They confirmed that my IMEI has been unlocked but yet I still can't tell.  what i was told which i questioned, is in order to get the message is to stick another carrier's sim card in my phone and the restore process...  and do the same in order to get it back on ATT's network... doesn't make sense! 

if it's unlocked, i should be able to pop any  carrier's sims in and out as much as I want without having to restore all the time? 

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Mentor

• 

59 Messages

12 years ago

Just pop another carrier's SIM into your phone. If it activates and successfully connects, you're unlocked. If it doesn't, then something went wrong.

You don't have to restore each time. You don't even have to restore the first time. However, you only get the "congratulations" message if you activate an unactivated phone through iTunes. Officially, restoring is the only way to inactivate a phone, and before iOS 5, this was the only way to fetch an activation ticket from Apple.

As of iOS 5, the iPhone fetches a new activation ticket every time you change SIMs, so restoring is no longer ncessary to verify unlock.

Guru

• 

72 Messages

12 years ago

I had to cut a vodaphone sim and try it out in the phone.  as soon as i put it in it started searching for network and didn't give an error about the sim card.  Under the cellular data network it showed all the vodaphon settings...

looks like i'm good to go! 

only question i have is about the backup/restore process.... if that part isn't necessary, Apple/ATT may have you do it in a means to get you to un-jailbreak your phone.  When i get the release for my 2nd phone I will try it without the restore and see what i get and update.

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

12 years ago

From what I understand in talking to them today, the actual unlock is put on the phone when you restore it in iTunes. You just have to do the restore once.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.