For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
marcyb's profile

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

Sunday, August 21st, 2011 5:22 PM

iphone input

If I don't need bells and whistles, is there a reason I should not buy the cheaper iphone 3GS simply because there will likely be a 4G iphone replacement soon? SInce I'd be locked into the 3GS as an upgrade for 2 years, I'm wondering if there are other considerations?  I've been fine w/just my simple non-smart phone for a while but the battery is dying and the cost to replace it equals the cost of the 3GS. Thanks in advance!

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks so much...truly.  You are right.  I'll stick with the 3GS. Our culture has turned me into a gear brat...always thinking there's something better.  Kinda sad.  But again, I appreciate your input:).  Take care.

Professor

• 

2.4K Messages

13 years ago

If it were me, and I was getting locked into a service agreement for 2yrs, I'd want the latest version of whatever device I was selecting. Also, keep in mind that ALL smartphones require a data plan. While you can get a 3GS for the same price or less than some feature phones, feature phones do not require data plans.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

13 years ago

@marcyb wrote:

If I don't need bells and whistles, is there a reason I should not buy the cheaper iphone 3GS simply because there will likely be a 4G iphone replacement soon? SInce I'd be locked into the 3GS as an upgrade for 2 years, I'm wondering if there are other considerations?  I've been fine w/just my simple non-smart phone for a while but the battery is dying and the cost to replace it equals the cost of the 3GS. Thanks in advance!

another thing ot consider- Apple is known for dropping OS support for their older phones when it comes to upgrades....look at the viablility of the current OS - not for the older phones

Scholar

• 

250 Messages

13 years ago

If you don't need the bells and whistles and are fine with your phone why not just buy a replacement battery?

There are reputable sites online where you can order a battery at a very good price.

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

The way I see it, it depends on whether or not the OP is willing to shell out another $15-$25 a month for a data plan, or if it would just be more worth it purchasing a replacement battery instead.

If you're comfortable paying for a smartphone data plan as an added cost every month to have the iPhone, I would wait for the newer one over the aging 3GS.

Professor

• 

2.7K Messages

13 years ago

It doesn't sound like you're in a position to wait but if you can, wait until the next iPhone comes out. The iPhone 4 has already dropped in price with some retailers, and will probably drop more.  What other posters are saying about the phone being supported for 2 years will be important if you keep your phone that long.

With a cheaper iPhone 4, you can get that and probably be supported for around 2 years.  The iPhone 3Gs will probably lose support next year.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for responding:).

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

You're welcome.

If you don't mind sharing your decision, I'm sure we'd all like to know. 🙂

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

13 years ago

Thanks for your feedback. I'm not at all tech savvy. What does it mean that it'll probably lose support?

Master

• 

10.2K Messages

13 years ago

@marcyb wrote:
Thanks for your feedback. I'm not at all tech savvy. What does it mean that it'll probably lose support?
"Losing support" means that Apple will likely no longer sponsor it anymore, such as providing updates to the iOS system. This means that, over time, your phone could eventually become slow or buggy and there would not be a fix for it because there will no longer be any updates to the operating system.

Apple and AT&T would probably stop selling iPhone 3GS' in stores eventually, also. Which makes it harder to get your hands on one if you don't want the latest and greatest.
Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.