iphone hot spot not connecting to internet'

Contributor

iphone hot spot not connecting to internet'

I used to have an iphone4 which I used as a hotspot on my laptop. It worked fine and I could get on the internet.  I have since upgraded to an iphone5c and can connect to my laptop but it will not connect to the internet.  It shows as an unidentified network.  My phone can be used on other devices as a hotspot...it just won't work on my laptop. 

Any ideas?

Message 1 of 5 (663 Views)
Scholar

Re: iphone hot spot not connecting to internet'

I'm going to assume that you've checked your SSID (defaults to "[your name here]'s iPhone") and passcode match the phone you have (it changed with the new phone) and that your data plan allows tethering (all mobile share plans do).  Next thing I would try would be to change the SSID of your phone, as that will force it to show as another login option on your computer.  I have an iPhone 5c myself.

Message 2 of 5 (654 Views)
Employee

and that your data plan allows tethering (all mobile share plans do).  

this is the key 

Employee Contributor*
*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 3 of 5 (609 Views)
Scholar

Constructive wrote:

and that your data plan allows tethering (all mobile share plans do).  

this is the key 

Well considering that OP indicated that his "phone can be used on other devices as a hotspot", one of two things must be true--he either has a legit data plan that allows tethering or he's using an unauthorized tethering tool/app.

Message 4 of 5 (569 Views)
ACE - Master

gosing4 wrote:

My phone can be used on other devices as a hotspot...it just won't work on my laptop. 

Any ideas?

This sounds like its an incompatibility issue between the iPhone and the laptop wifi hardware (or possibly software).  Make sure you have the correct wireless security settings for both ends (WAP/WPA2, etc).

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 5 of 5 (555 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.