The new iPhone 15
Sdonaghy's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Friday, December 30th, 2016 3:39 AM

iphone 5

Buying a used iphone 5 that was previously with Verizon. Will it work with att?

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@Sdonaghy wrote:
Buying a used iphone 5 that was previously with Verizon. Will it work with att?

Here's how to check the IMEI number to see if it's compatible. (I'm leaning towards NO).

https://www.cnet.com/how-to/4-tips-for-buying-a-used-iphone/

Also: Gazelle sells used and it looks like it's not https://gazellestore.custhelp.com/app/answers/detail/a_id/231

Associated Member

• 

111 Messages

7 years ago

Sdonagh,

We are always willing to help you fix problems with your phone that's why we’re always looking for ways so you can contact us easily.

I know that you wanted to upgrade your device. To answer your question any 3G handset with simcard slot will work with at&t.

AS LONG AS IT IS UNLOCKED!!

The only way to check is to get a active simcard and put it on the phone. If you are not being asked to type in a 15 digit unlock code. The phone is good to use, hence its not.

*I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.

Guru

• 

691 Messages

7 years ago

@Sdonaghy -- as others have stated as long as the phone is unlocked you will be good to use your iPhone 5 on AT&T. You can double check with AT&T's IMEI checked to be sure using the following link for bringing your own devices to AT&T:

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/byop.html

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@JohnnyDoe wrote:

@Sdonaghy -- as others have stated as long as the phone is unlocked you will be good to use your iPhone 5 on AT&T.

@JohnnyDoe That's not what either of us said. I said I didn't think so and provided two links. The other person said if it's 3G with SIM and unlocked. As Verizon is CDMA, it may have compatible GSM or it may not.  (I thought CDMA smartphones were GSM so that you could use them globablly but the information I found doesn't always seem to support that)

You can double check with AT&T's IMEI checked to be sure using the following link for bringing your own devices to AT&T:

https://www.att.com/shop/wireless/byop.html

As you said, you should check the IMEI and I supplied similar info.

The real test is to just stick in an AT&T SIM!

Guru

• 

691 Messages

7 years ago

@Gary L Didn't mean to misquote anything, I apologize. From everything I've read on the iPhone 5 w/ Verizon you can use it on AT&T but will not have LTE (due to the Verizon verision missing bands 4 and 17)... but it will be able to utilize HSPA+. So, in essence it should but you are right - best way is to pop the sim and find out! IMEI check will also help which we both provided 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

7 years ago

@JohnnyDoe wrote:

@Gary L Didn't mean to misquote anything, I apologize.

No biggie I just wanted to emphasize that wasn't my point to the OP.

From everything I've read on the iPhone 5 w/ Verizon you can use it on AT&T but will not have LTE (due to the Verizon verision missing bands 4 and 17)... but it will be able to utilize HSPA+. So, in essence it should but you are right - best way is to pop the sim and find out! IMEI check will also help which we both provided 

So even if it works it's missing LTE, that seems significant to me. (Maybe it's not, but most of the time when I notice my phone is not doing data fast I can see that I'm not on LTE).

Missing bands is something that won't even be realized with popping in the SIM. 

@Sdonaghy If you're buying this as your main phone, seems like it'd be worth spending a little more. Or at least a bit more research...

Where's @lizdance40 when you need her? (Activating signal watch)

ACE - Sage

• 

116.6K Messages

7 years ago

Sorry, I was working!  

@Sdonaghy.   @Gary L And @JohnnyDoe covered the highlights.  The only thing I can add is the Verizon iPhone 5C or 5S does have all the bands for LTE.  

The 5 would essentially be a 3G phone on ATT because of missing LTE bands.  

Any LTE phone that has been used on Verizon recently would be unlocked.  Verizon will unlock it if it isn't.  

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.