Ask a question

Posted Mar 31, 2011
    11:50:00 PM
    View profile
    iphone 4

If u have an iphone 4 and ur key pad is locked will the phone connect to the internet automatically?

(0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Solved
    Apr 1, 2011 5:35:17 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor
    Edited by johninsj on Apr 1, 2011 at 5:36:37 AM

anthony2563 wrote:

If u have an iphone 4 and ur key pad is locked will the phone connect to the internet automatically?

The iPhone4 is an always connected device. Assuming you have cell coverage, it can use data at any time, if any number of application-related events occur. These include pushed notifications (which you can turn off, per application, in settings) - email (either pushed or "check every X minutes" - again, check settings) - to applications left running (the currently running app, or any background app.)

The only way to prevent it from accessing the cellular-data internet is to turn off cellular data when you don't want it to connect. If you want to turn off all internet access, turn off both wifi and cellular data.

Edit: Or, of course, you can turn it off completely - that's accomplished by holding down the sleep button on top until Slide to Power Off is displayed.... then sliding. If its powered down it doesn't use data Smiley Happy

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
    Accepted Solution

iphone 4

5 replies
    (0) Me too
    (0) Me too
    View all replies
    (5)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 1, 2011 1:42:37 AM
    (0)
    Mentor
    Edited by applerain on Apr 1, 2011 at 1:43:03 AM

If you have applications set to connect to the internet automatically then yes.

Re: iphone 4

[ Edited ]
    2 of 6 (4,457 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Solved
    Apr 1, 2011 5:35:17 AM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor
    Edited by johninsj on Apr 1, 2011 at 5:36:37 AM

anthony2563 wrote:

The iPhone4 is an always connected device. Assuming you have cell coverage, it can use data at any time, if any number of application-related events occur. These include pushed notifications (which you can turn off, per application, in settings) - email (either pushed or "check every X minutes" - again, check settings) - to applications left running (the currently running app, or any background app.)

The only way to prevent it from accessing the cellular-data internet is to turn off cellular data when you don't want it to connect. If you want to turn off all internet access, turn off both wifi and cellular data.

Edit: Or, of course, you can turn it off completely - that's accomplished by holding down the sleep button on top until Slide to Power Off is displayed.... then sliding. If its powered down it doesn't use data Smiley Happy

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

[ Edited ]
    3 of 6 (4,387 Views)
    Solution
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 1, 2011 4:33:59 PM
    (0)
    Contributor

Thanks for the reply. I am not to savvy with the IPhone as of yet. My gf downloaded the apps for my phone and when it is not being used she says that im on line when im not. Can this happen if my phone is locked and I don't open the sites? What do you think is going on with the phone and how do I stop the apps from opening when im not useing it. Thanks

4 of 6 (4,324 Views)
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 1, 2011 5:42:23 PM
    (0)
    ACE - Professor

anthony2563 wrote:

Thanks for the reply. I am not to savvy with the IPhone as of yet. My gf downloaded the apps for my phone and when it is not being used she says that im on line when im not. Can this happen if my phone is locked and I don't open the sites? What do you think is going on with the phone and how do I stop the apps from opening when im not useing it. Thanks

Like I said, the simple way to do that is to turn off cellular data

Tap Settings->General->Network and then turn it off.

That kills it for sure.

More specifically, look for whatever IM (instant messaging) application you've got installed on your phone and learn how to have it log you out when you exit it. Without knowing which app that is, I cannot begin to guess how it works Smiley Happy

In what way are you showing as "on line" according to your girlfriend?

5 of 6 (4,311 Views)
    Highlighted
    (0)
    • Rate this reply
    View profile
    Apr 1, 2011 8:22:00 PM
    (0)
    Scholar

anthony2563 wrote:

Also check Location Services (Settings/Location Services) which allows apps to determine location. You can turn all location services off, or each app individually. Also check each app to see if push notifications are available and whether they are on or off.

The other user of data is Push Notifications. Go to Settings/Mail,Contacts/Calendars and push On or Off. With Push on, data will be sent automatically to the phone.

These push and location services are active regardless even if the phone is locked. They also use EDGE/3G if the phone is asleep even if WiFi is available. The only way to prevent this is Airplane Mode (which shuts down WiFi) and EDGE/3G or turn off the phone.

The lock only keeps people from accessing the phone, no other function.

6 of 6 (4,283 Views)