iphone 3GS usage outside USA after completing the contract.

iphone 3GS usage outside USA after completing the contract.

Hello guys,

I had a question about apple's/AT&T's policy when it comes to people who want to use their iphone in countries where carrier lock is not required.
As I understand, If a person stayed in the US for 2 yrs, fulfilled the AT&T contract and now, technically he has paid enough to own(no liability from AT&T) the iphone (as unlocked).If he wants to visit a country and use his iphone, is there a provision that apple/AT&T will provide such customer's unlock code(or factory unlock settings) etc, so that they don't face any issue while using their iphone in any other country?

Same case if someone breaks the contract by paying the consequence amount(399USD).He now owns the phone and paid for the device ,so should be able to use it in whichever country he wish. Also learned in apple forum that apple has no role in unlocking and it all depends on AT&T for the unlocking.

Thanks for reading such a long post.Smiley Happy

Message 1 of 20 (2,146 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: iphone 3GS usage outside USA after completing the contract.

0Metalhead0 wrote: The very purpose of locking the phone to a carrier is because you get the phone at a "subsidized rate" . Buying unlock phones cost's 2ice or thrice the carrier lock price.

I do not agree with this assertion. Getting a phone at a subsidized rate is due to committing to a 2 year contract, not because the phone is locked.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 16 of 20 (1,714 Views)

sandblaster wrote:

0Metalhead0 wrote: The very purpose of locking the phone to a carrier is because you get the phone at a "subsidized rate" . Buying unlock phones cost's 2ice or thrice the carrier lock price.

I do not agree with this assertion. Getting a phone at a subsidized rate is due to committing to a 2 year contract, not because the phone is locked.

++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++++

I think you are correct.

The fear that AT&T has is people buying the subsidized AT&T phone and taking it to another carrier, like T-Mobile in the USA. Carrier locking prevents this for 90+% of iPhone owners.

However, the number of people unlocking their iPhone by the use of commonly available software is skyrocketing as determined by the usage of sites such as Cydia.

Unlocking the iPhone may, or may not, void the warranty, just depends on how the event is handled (viewed) by the Apple rep.

I unlocked my AT&T iPhones for use outside the USA, with in-country SIMs.  AT&T International data and voice roaming charges are exorbitant. I also use an iPhone that was sourced in a country where Apple openly sells factory unlocked" iPhones. When wer're outside the USA the family each has an iPhone and they can call, text, and use data without regard to AT&T's high prices.  In-country SIMs and iPhone plans are "very" competitve in the countries in which I travel.

Opinions are like noses, most everyone has one.  But the reality is neither Apple or AT&T will unlock an iPhone (at least today) in the USA,  even if you pay full retail price at the Apple store, with no AT&T contract.  That is the nasty part that many foreign visitors to the USA do not understand when they buy an iPhone in the USA.

In my humble opinion, if Apple sells me a phone at full retail,  it should be unlocked.

Message 17 of 20 (1,699 Views)

Wireless-user wrote Smiley Surprisedpinions are like noses, most everyone has one.  But the reality is neither Apple or AT&T will unlock an iPhone (at least today) in the USA,  even if you pay full retail price at the Apple store, with no AT&T contract.  That is the nasty part that many foreign visitors to the USA do not understand when they buy an iPhone in the USA.

In my humble opinion, if Apple sells me a phone at full retail,  it should be unlocked.

Message 18 of 20 (1,676 Views)

Yeah, the same thing exists here in the US.   But compairing what is possible in other countries to what is possible in the US because of other countries laws is just silly.

There are no laws in the US that require the iPhone to be unlocked.

When the iPhone was first introduced it was made abundantly clear that it was locked to AT&T.

You chose to purchase a locked device, deal with it.

You could just as easily purchase an unlocked device (i.e. another phone or an iPhone from another country).

+1

It was more then abundantly clear. rofl

Message 19 of 20 (1,650 Views)
Highlighted
Professor

No matter how much this is debated there is no US LAW that requires the unlocking of phones....prolly wont happen for awhile either, no one phone you may want to look into is the SCIPHONE ++9, now it is a clone and does not use ITUNES/APPLE APP STORE or the iOS, but it is an unlocked dual sim card that BASICALLY functions like an iphone does, I personally would not buy an iPHONE clone, but its an option and you can get them for like $80.00 USD

I am an AT&T employee and the postings on this site are my own and don't necessarily represent AT&T's position, strategies or opinions.
Message 20 of 20 (1,635 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.

Additional Support