The new iPhone 15
0Metalhead0's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Wednesday, December 29th, 2010 2:22 PM

iphone 3GS usage outside USA after completing the contract.

Hello guys,

I had a question about apple's/AT&T's policy when it comes to people who want to use their iphone in countries where carrier lock is not required.
As I understand, If a person stayed in the US for 2 yrs, fulfilled the AT&T contract and now, technically he has paid enough to own(no liability from AT&T) the iphone (as unlocked).If he wants to visit a country and use his iphone, is there a provision that apple/AT&T will provide such customer's unlock code(or factory unlock settings) etc, so that they don't face any issue while using their iphone in any other country?

Same case if someone breaks the contract by paying the consequence amount(399USD).He now owns the phone and paid for the device ,so should be able to use it in whichever country he wish. Also learned in apple forum that apple has no role in unlocking and it all depends on AT&T for the unlocking.

Thanks for reading such a long post.:)

Accepted Solution

Master

• 

7.1K Messages

13 years ago

@0Metalhead0 wrote:

What kind of answer is that? Sorry to say does the grt USA doesn't have consumer forums which addresses such valid circumstances and issues ? If Apple and AT&T ignores such valid issues , I beg to differ that such companies are not ethical when it comes to customer satisfaction.

Agreed to all the contract and stuff, but flexibility should be provided.Students,Business user's suffer when they travel multiple countries all at the cost of loving their idevice. Kind of shameful deed for AT&T and apple both.

Your points still will not change the facts, ATT nor Apple will unlock an iPhone after your contract is up.  Keep in mind that we are all customers like yourself and do not represent ATT nor apple.  We may not like the answer either but these are the facts!

ATT does have a policy for unlocking phones after a certain amount of time under contract and/or when your contract is up but the iPhone is not included.  Search these forums and you will see this answered many times and debated many times and the answer from ATT and Apple still does not change. 

Guru

• 

637 Messages

13 years ago

Neither Apple nor AT&T will unlock an iPhone, regardless of circumstances.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

What kind of answer is that? Sorry to say does the grt USA doesn't have consumer forums which addresses such valid circumstances and issues ? If Apple and AT&T ignores such valid issues , I beg to differ that such companies are not ethical when it comes to customer satisfaction.

Agreed to all the contract and stuff, but flexibility should be provided.Students,Business user's suffer when they travel multiple countries all at the cost of loving their idevice. Kind of shameful deed for AT&T and apple both.

Guru

• 

1K Messages

13 years ago

@0Metalhead0 wrote:

What kind of answer is that?

Like it or not, that's the correct answer. Neither Apple nor AT&T unlock US branded iPhones and this issue has been discussed a lot of times in this forum, you'll have to look for a third party to have it unlocked.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

Thank you guys...

I now understand the cruel fact...and kind of trying to digest it with ease :). I now agree that no one can change it no matter what we say/debate on the forum.

Only governments can straighten such companies with strict regulations and destroy such business models ... I know am kind of very optimistic... hope that day comes sooner..  🙂

Guru

• 

641 Messages

13 years ago

The government could not even step into this. There is a contract that Apple and AT&T have set up that makes AT&T the ONLY carrier that can carry/support the iphone. If AT&T were to unlock the iphone for you to use on another carrier, it would break the contract.

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

13 years ago

I'm pretty sure that a federal law requiring cell phone companies to unlock phones on request after the contract is over would outweigh AT&T and Apple's exclusitively agreement as well as the contract.

Guru

• 

641 Messages

13 years ago

Well I would love to see that law be placed into effect, of course if it really did exist. Apple owns the iphone 4 and chose AT&T to be the ONLY carrier for their product. Im sure thats perfectly legal.

ACE - Master

• 

10.4K Messages

13 years ago

It doesn't exist in the US.  I was just pointing out my belief that in general a federal law would overide the contract.

And yes, Apple choosing to use AT&T as the exclusive carrier is perfectly legal, the same way only Chevy makes the Corvette and Ford makes the Mustang.  Or a certain show is only on ABC or NBC.  I'm sure there are other cell phones that are exclusive to a certain carrier.  Why do people believe that there is some law requiring Apple to make or sell iPhones to other carriers?  It's just a smartphone and there are other smartphone options out there on all of the major carriers.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

13 years ago

The analogy of Ford and Chevy is pretty vague.AT&T is not a product like mustang and Corvette. It's just a service provider which can be changed.

The very purpose of locking the phone to a carrier is because you get the phone at a "subsidized rate" . Buying unlock phones cost's 2ice or thrice the carrier lock price.

So the 2 companies gets in to an agreement to make the price lower where both can make profit(Apple by lowering the price and thus making it affordable and AT&T getting customer to use it's service for 2yrs hence confirming the business for 2 years).

Now the point is, after serving the contract, ideally both companies should be happy as they sold their product for the price it intended before subsidizing the product. This is the crux of the situation where Government can challenge the companies. There are many countries which have banned/do not allow carrier locks kind of service,because it's not in the best interest of the consumer .Iphones are sold in such countries e.g HongKong, Taiwan,china etc. This is called free trade and open market.

Technically, you own the phone and you should be able to use it the way you want.Iphone is not dumb to wrk only with AT&T.If unlocked ,it can work with every carrier , unlike asking Ford to manufacture Corvette which is a just a product and not a feature :).

If you know, there are regulations set by the Government for every service  sector.e.g In India if you want to change your service provider, you can retain the same phone number with the new service provider. Thus making the consumer powerful to easily switch carriers in case of unsatisfied service .Before such mandate came from the governemt ,earlier consumers were reserved with their options of change in number might impact their business and contacts.It just feels that here in USA, nobody cares about consumers . One more thing, even Laws gets amended by the constitution , so what's so grt about Apple and AT&T contract??? 

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.