The new iPhone 15
signem's profile

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

Monday, June 28th, 2010 1:01 PM

iphone 2am unauthorized data usage

Beginning on June 16, my original iphone began transmitting 2+MB of data "internet/MEdia Net" at 2 am every morning. Prior to this, my records show a daily data transmission at that time in the range of 8-50KB.

I changed to the 200MB plan when I upgraded to iphone 4 on June 24 and have begun monitoring data - that is how i discovered this escalation in data use. Both existing and new iphones are always on wi-fi at 2am. On 6/25, this 2am data usage jumped to 5MB, so I have switched off cell data altogether.

What is going on? At this rate, my iphone will use all 200MB of data in a month with these 2 am data uploads. I saw complaints about this on the Apple forum with no solution provided by ATT.

For 2 1/2 years, with my original iphone, I used an average of 30-50MB of data per month, so I was quite comfortable signing up for the 200MB plan. 

Is ATT going to fix this problem? 

Signe

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

14 years ago

@mjwood0 wrote:

@donsgirl wrote:

Just an FYI with the night time data usage....

I have just spent an entire weekend fighting with AT&T, not only do they make excused for the data usage, but when asked about 4g in my area as the coverage map shows it quite prevalent, I was told that it is not ready to access and wouldn't be until the end of 2012...

OK, so that was all bad considering that I ordered my phone on 7/23 and it didn't show up until 8/6, that I found it as a walk in and then customer service wouldn't let me cancel my backorder.. that they tried to charge me with a restock fee when I turned those phones back in.. and finally that they lied to me when I did question the 4g and told me that no network has access yet..

Well, AT&T after the entire weekend of listening to excuses and lies, I have been with you for over 6 years and I am dumping you.  Nothing against the iphone 4, but everything against AT&T.

Just to let your CSR's know that Sprint is currently running on 4g and has been for some time....

Okay.  Not really sure what to tell you.  While I do agree that the data is a bit sketchy (especially since it's not 100% clear what's going on), the 4g issue is much more cut and dry.

The iPhone 4 does not support 4g.  It is not the "iPhone 4g", it's the "fourth generation iPhone".  The CSR is correct.  AT&T has not rolled out a 4g network.  And even if they had, the iPhone 4 would not be able to access it.

Also, when ATT does implement 4g, it will be based on a technology called LTE. This is the same technology Verizon is implementing on their 4g network. Sprint's 4g network is based on something called EVO and many in the tech community would say it is not true 4g. You might want to do a little research on download speeds from Sprint's 4g network. You may be surprised. Bottom line, 4g to an ATT CSR means LTE so the CSR would be correct that no service provider yet offers an LTE based 4g network.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

14 years ago

@mjwood0 wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

still confused about this. Have kept a extra iphone on my desk that has no applications on it, the phone was reset on 06/30/10

Sent  - 1.1MB

Recieved - 3.4MB

Phone has been used only for incoming and outgoing calls and a occasional text message

I think this pretty much proves that the middle of the night transactions have some correlation to the amount of data used.  However, the real issue is that no one knows exactly what they really are.

Out of curiosity, are you seeing any transmissions of data in the middle of the night?  I'd expect them to be on the order of a few KB if anything.

200-300KB average

Guru

• 

748 Messages

14 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:

@mjwood0 wrote:

@donsgirl wrote:

Just an FYI with the night time data usage....

I have just spent an entire weekend fighting with AT&T, not only do they make excused for the data usage, but when asked about 4g in my area as the coverage map shows it quite prevalent, I was told that it is not ready to access and wouldn't be until the end of 2012...

OK, so that was all bad considering that I ordered my phone on 7/23 and it didn't show up until 8/6, that I found it as a walk in and then customer service wouldn't let me cancel my backorder.. that they tried to charge me with a restock fee when I turned those phones back in.. and finally that they lied to me when I did question the 4g and told me that no network has access yet..

Well, AT&T after the entire weekend of listening to excuses and lies, I have been with you for over 6 years and I am dumping you.  Nothing against the iphone 4, but everything against AT&T.

Just to let your CSR's know that Sprint is currently running on 4g and has been for some time....

Okay.  Not really sure what to tell you.  While I do agree that the data is a bit sketchy (especially since it's not 100% clear what's going on), the 4g issue is much more cut and dry.

The iPhone 4 does not support 4g.  It is not the "iPhone 4g", it's the "fourth generation iPhone".  The CSR is correct.  AT&T has not rolled out a 4g network.  And even if they had, the iPhone 4 would not be able to access it.

Also, when ATT does implement 4g, it will be based on a technology called LTE. This is the same technology Verizon is implementing on their 4g network. Sprint's 4g network is based on something called EVO and many in the tech community would say it is not true 4g. You might want to do a little research on download speeds from Sprint's 4g network. You may be surprised. Bottom line, 4g to an ATT CSR means LTE so the CSR would be correct that no service provider yet offers an LTE based 4g network.

Sprint's 4g is wifi currently.  I also read today somwhere that Sprint was looking at going to LTE also, moving away from wifi 4g.  And you are correct that no one currently has LTE available for retail service in the US yet....

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

14 years ago

@click_clack wrote:

@sandblaster wrote:

Sprint's 4g is wifi currently.  I also read today somwhere that Sprint was looking at going to LTE also, moving away from wifi 4g.  And you are correct that no one currently has LTE available for retail service in the US yet....

OK, EVO is actually the name of Sprint's 4g phone made by HTC. The technology behind Sprint's 4g network is not wifi, it is WiMax which stands for Worldwide Interoperability for Microwave Access. Apparently it is very close to wifi technology as it is based on a 802.16e wireless standard.

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

14 years ago

Just activated my iPhone 4 on Friday 8/20/2010. The phone was delivered to my house, so it's never been away from my wifi. So in theory it should ONLY be using my wifi and NOT any celluar data. So why would my phone even be eating into my data plan? So why I am also having this (almost) 2am usage?

08/2201:51 AMphone
Internet/MEdia NetSent

1921KB

Looking at the Usage > Cellular Network Data > Recieved as shown on my phone - the number is close to what was reported in my account BUT I still want to know WHY it's cellular data?

How do I assure that I'm only using my wifi when the phone is here at home? I have gone ahead and set my Cellular Data to OFF. Will have to see how that effects it. Are there any other settings I should turn off?

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

14 years ago

Turning off cell data will assure that the only data that's used is wifi data. You will not be able to send/receive mms messages either.

When you activated, did you accept Apple's offer to send diagnostic data? If so, that can be the source of unexpected data. Otherwise, even with wifi on (mine is always on as well, and I am generally under wifi coverage except when commuting) your device may choose cell data over wifi if it is sleeping, and wakes to check email or otherwise perform some background network (push) transaction. You can see this yourself - suspend the device with an active wifi connection. Leave it alone for an hour or so. Wake it up, and note that it's now showing 3G - and after a bit flips back over to wifi (assuming you've NOT turned off cellular data, of course!)

For me, this amounts to a trickle of data in a week - perhaps 5MB total - with email checking hourly on two imap and one exchange account.

Regarding the "2am usage" there are a million posts about how the accounting system batches up transactions over the day and reports them in the middle of the night, as well as the unexpected by some users fact that allowing your iPhone to send diagnostic data to apple means you will actually use data sending diagnoistic data to apple. Here's how to undo that setting if you set it

http://www.geardiary.com/2008/07/27/speed-up-itunes-sync-of-your-iphone-or-touch-by-only-selectively-sending-diagnostic-data-to-apple/

Tutor

• 

10 Messages

14 years ago

Is there any way to assure that the phone only uses wifi when wif is available, even when sleeping? I'm thinking if my iPod Touch can do stuff when it's asleep using wifi, why can't my iPhone 4?

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

14 years ago

Why can't the iphone but the touch can? I believe that there was a recent change in the operating system. For me, it seemed to coincide with the time I ordered my iphone4 (which I subsequently returned). I went back to my original 2G but my usage changed from an average of 30MB a month to 90MB a month with no change in my behavior or email traffic. I have now switched to the Blackberry Torch and am seeing considerably less data usage because it always uses the wifi when I'm at home. It may be an aggregate of data used, but the bottom line is that it shouldn't be using data because it should be on wifi and it used to be on wifi and now uses cell data when sleeping rather than using the wifi. I bet one of the Apple operating system programmers put in code to turn the wifi off in order to save battery without realizing the consequences to data usage.

Professor

• 

3.1K Messages

14 years ago

@lizbethk wrote:

Is there any way to assure that the phone only uses wifi when wif is available, even when sleeping? I'm thinking if my iPod Touch can do stuff when it's asleep using wifi, why can't my iPhone 4?

Yes. Turn off cellular data. That will force it to use wifi. Your iPod Touch doesn't have 3G, so it doesn't have a choice. Like I said, it should just be a trickle of data, if at all, unless you have a lot of notifications enabled (facebook, IM, etc) and even then it shouldn't be hundreds of MB.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

14 years ago

I thought about this for a while and it seems some inside information is needed.  The average AT&T support person doesn't know how billing works and Apple doesn't have a clue what's going on in the mobile switching network.

I'm pretty sure you are looking at a single line item that usually includes your whole day's worth of data service.

I worked at AT&T, and wireline and wireless bills are tallied at the end of the day.  The system collects billing records from many different switching areas of the network and tallies it in one line item.

During the day when you first establish an IP connection the network determines whether you are a data enabled device, it keeps your same IP address open, even though you may move into another cellular center's routing towers (e.g. in the SF Bay area there are at least two, one in San Jose, the other in San Francisco.), that way you are not constantly getting new sessions with Google, MobileMe, et cetera.

Telephone calls and data sessions all have a midnight or 1AM cut off time for billing (i.e. you will never see a call billing record go longer than 24 hours, even if you talk for three days.)  Around an hour or two later all the remote data centers have reported your data usage to your home billing office (register), from there it gets itemized on your bill around 2AM.

Further explanations:
- You see some smaller data records during the day, e.g. 45kb or 341kb.  That's when you turned off your phone completely, reinitialized it, got off a plane in a new city, anything to cause the iPhone to close the previous session and start a new IP session (the old session also times out eventually or gets closed when a new one starts.)

- Also, sometimes remote AT&T data centers batch their billing records and send them a day or two later (creating another billing record.)  If you are away from your home data register for a few days, you might not have any tally that night.  (Often/mainly if you are in a different area code than your phone number.)

- Data users on other phones have the same 2AM records if they keep the session open all day.  NB: a Blackberry may close every IP data session intentionally - RIM thinks it adds more security to Exchange Mail than keeping the session open.  Also, if your kid's picture phone goes into browser mode or transmits a picture, there is also a short data session that ends and gets a data record during the day.

- Look at your usage:  watch some YouTube, navigate with Google Maps during the day, then look for the total of the data usage in the data detail of your iPhone on the AT&T Wireless site.  It shows up at night.

- If you think any "data" is leaking out of your iPhone at night (remember "Only the Paranoid Survive"), power down.  The data usage from the previous day will still be posted at 2AM, it doesn't need your phone on.  [The WiFi or 3G questions in this discussion were a red herring.]

Frankly, its a pretty tricky business counting packets from a wireless device than can travel through several cities and hundreds of cell towers a day.  

Cheers,

J

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.