iphone 2am unauthorized data usage

Teacher

iphone 2am unauthorized data usage

Beginning on June 16, my original iphone began transmitting 2+MB of data "internet/MEdia Net" at 2 am every morning. Prior to this, my records show a daily data transmission at that time in the range of 8-50KB.

 

I changed to the 200MB plan when I upgraded to iphone 4 on June 24 and have begun monitoring data - that is how i discovered this escalation in data use. Both existing and new iphones are always on wi-fi at 2am. On 6/25, this 2am data usage jumped to 5MB, so I have switched off cell data altogether.

 

What is going on? At this rate, my iphone will use all 200MB of data in a month with these 2 am data uploads. I saw complaints about this on the Apple forum with no solution provided by ATT.

 

For 2 1/2 years, with my original iphone, I used an average of 30-50MB of data per month, so I was quite comfortable signing up for the 200MB plan. 

 

Is ATT going to fix this problem? 

 

Signe

Message 1 of 156 (13,976 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: iphone 2am unauthorized data usage


signem wrote:

i reviewed the entire discussion at the Apple message board and there are still no official answers.

 

Concensus seems to be that the nighly transmissions are some type of aggregation of data usage during the day. The question for me remains whether I will be charged for that data. And one nagging question is what is actually being transmitted? And, how do we ensure that there is no privacy violation?

 

Not being able to get a straight answer makes me quite uncomfortable. I hope that ATT or Apple will eventually disclose that information since there is obviously a great deal of interest, particularly on the Apple message board.

 

Thanks for all your comments.


You understand what "aggregation of data usage during the day" means, right? For example, say you download something at 10pm, something else at 11pm and something else at midnight but your bill only shows one item at 2am, not the individual downloads at 10, 11, 12. That is the aggregation people talk about and of course you would be charged for those downloads. Bottom line is your bill shows everything that was uploaded/downloaded over the cell network and of course everything listed is being "charged". The bill does not show any data uploaded/downloaded over wifi.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 31 of 156 (3,623 Views)
Scholar

Re: iphone 2am unauthorized data usage

I haven't had this occur for about 2 weeks.

Message 32 of 156 (3,604 Views)
Contributor

Re: iphone 2am unauthorized data usage

Ok so this "batching" must be something new then? It has never occurred before June, and if data is batching, why is it 6 times as much data that I used to use  (with no change in my habits) since I have changed to the tier plan?

Message 33 of 156 (3,544 Views)
Highlighted
ACE - Professor

Re: iphone 2am unauthorized data usage

because you have a new toy, or you enabled "send diagnostic data to apple"?

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 34 of 156 (3,531 Views)
Voyager

Re: iphone 2am unauthorized data usage

I have the same issue, but with a palm pixi.

After having the pixi for six days, I got a text from AT&T saying that I had already used 65% of my plan. I went back and looked at all of my history and records, and my entire internet history was about 90 page views. The day after I got the phone, I had added gmail and gchat, but I found it annoying so I removed it from the phone after the third day. I sent/received 30 emails during that time. I have wifi at home and at work. I have not downloaded anything - no apps, no ringtones, nothing. According to AT&T's data calculator, (http://www.att.com/standalone/data-calculator/), you should be able to access about 1000 web pages and send/receive 1000 emails a month and still be under the 200mb data plan. What is going on here?

 

After calling AT&T, same as above, they suggested that someone else was using my phone at night, that I was inadvertently doing it, or that I was downloading a lot of stuff - none of which are the case. They thought that the data charges were a cumulative charge for the day, but I have multiple data charges per day, all at different times, some as small as 8kb and the largest being 53227kb. If it was a cumulative charge, it would be at about the same time every day and there should be only one. After all of this, they decided that it was updates. Really? Every day, that size? The rep got Palm on the phone and they confirmed that the phone would get occasional updates, but not daily, and even then the updates should be about 40kb. To resolve the issue, the rep suggested that I stop using data for a few days. At first I wasn't into this solution - I mean, I'm paying for a data plan so that I can use it, right? But after some thought I did not use data Saturday, Sunday, and Monday. None so far today. So here's what I've been billed for during that time that I DID NOT USE DATA:

07/2605:37 PMwap.cingularInternet/MEdia NetSent2859KB
07/2606:58 AMwap.cingularInternet/MEdia NetSent3307KB
07/2510:01 PMwap.cingularInternet/MEdia NetSent13KB
07/2502:13 AMwap.cingularInternet/MEdia NetSent2683KB
07/2403:42 PMwap.cingularInternet/MEdia NetSent1339KB
07/2409:38 AMwap.cingularInternet/MEdia NetSent2622KB

 

In comparison, we also got a blackberry at the same time for my husband, and he uses the internet way more that I do. He's barely used any of the data plan at all. Also, on his bill, you can see each time he checks his email - there is 2-4kb of data usage each time, and about 2000kb when he streams music - so the aggregated data charge is NOT an AT&T method of charging data.

 

I've done some research and AT&T users with other phones have the same issues and AT&T has said to everyone that they have no idea or that it's the user's fault. Ridiculous. In the end, I'm glad I've addressed this quickly, since I'm going to return the pixi for something different. AT&T offered no help whatsoever in figuring out this issue.

 

Message 35 of 156 (3,509 Views)
Voyager

Re: iphone 2am unauthorized data usage

"1) the user agreeing to send diagnostics to apple, which generates data use (so, don't do that)"

 

And this is the default setting?  How convenient not that there is only limited data plans available.  If you don't think there is a problem with all the people hollering about it online, then you must have some interest in denying it imo.  Fortunately it is not a problem for me because I don't plan on renewing until it is fixed.  Prolly switch before that happens tho.

Message 36 of 156 (3,472 Views)
Contributor

Re: iphone 2am unauthorized data usage

Hi Signem,

 

I have exactly the same problem with the new iphone 4.  My case is even worse... I have seen data transfer of 15 mb to 20 mb (can you believe it?? !!!!!) around 2 am every  few days... In my case I don't think it's aggregated billing...since I have intentionally avoided using intenet through iphone last few days, yet, last night 2am I still saw a 20mb sent....It may be some sort of updating from Apple?

 

I am calling ATT tonight and find out...what they say about it...

Message 37 of 156 (3,372 Views)
Contributor

Re: iphone 2am unauthorized data usage

7/29/2010

2:15 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent21748KB
7/28/20101:41 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent1596KB
7/27/20102:14 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent2254KB
7/26/201011:10 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent15447KB
7/26/20102:38 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent2535KB
7/25/20102:35 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent228KB
7/24/20102:20 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent6781KB
7/23/20102:20 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent617KB
7/22/201012:13 PMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent1862KB
7/22/20102:17 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent20120KB
7/21/20101:13 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent1294KB
7/20/20102:20 AMphoneInternet/MEdia NetSent4983KB

 

My usage from ATT website....

Message 38 of 156 (3,368 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: iphone 2am unauthorized data usage

 


stonyeric wrote:

Hi Signem,

 

I have exactly the same problem with the new iphone 4.  My case is even worse... I have seen data transfer of 15 mb to 20 mb (can you believe it?? !!!!!) around 2 am every  few days... In my case I don't think it's aggregated billing...since I have intentionally avoided using intenet through iphone last few days, yet, last night 2am I still saw a 20mb sent....It may be some sort of updating from Apple?

 

I am calling ATT tonight and find out...what they say about it...


In my opinion, calling ATT is a waste of time since they have to control over what data your phone sends or receives. Unless you have an issue where your phone's reported data usage does not match what ATT says, no point in calling them.

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 39 of 156 (3,362 Views)
Teacher

Re: iphone 2am unauthorized data usage

I actually took my iphone back after 4 days because of this issue and no obvious resolution. I went back to my original 2g iphone and they gave me back my unlimited data plan.

 

In just under one month, they have calculated 81MB of data. Most of those days I was on wi-fi. And, because those overnight calculations are mostly sent data, rather than received, they are clearly incorrect to say the least.

 

The highest month I ever had before this was 50MB during a Florida vacation. Other than that month, my usage is in the 20-30 MB range.

 

I have not changed my habits using the iphone. As a matter of fact, I think I am receiving less mail now.

 

Since much of this data transfer was on days that I was never off wi-fi, I think that ATt is including wi-fi in the data charges which is clearly against to their stated policy.

 

ATT and Apple seem to be in total denial over all of this, but someone needs to step up soon before someone figures it out and initiates a class-action lawsuit.

 

BTW, since I reverted to my original iphone, I am definitely not participating in any program to provide Apple with feedback of any kind.

 

Message 40 of 156 (3,355 Views)
Teacher

Re: iphone 2am unauthorized data usage


Sandblaster wrote:

You understand what "aggregation of data usage during the day" means, right? For example, say you download something at 10pm, something else at 11pm and something else at midnight but your bill only shows one item at 2am, not the individual downloads at 10, 11, 12. That is the aggregation people talk about and of course you would be charged for those downloads. Bottom line is your bill shows everything that was uploaded/downloaded over the cell network and of course everything listed is being "charged". The bill does not show any data uploaded/downloaded over wifi

 

Sandblaster,

I understand what aggregation is. I also understand the difference between data received and data sent. The usage statistics have the bulk of the data in the "sent" category, not received.

 

So even if the aggregation of data received is accurate, it does not account for the huge amount of data sent. And, it does not explain why this 2 am usage changed on June 16 when I ordered the iphone 4. Previously, the nightly sent shown was about 16K not 3 to 7MB!

 

 

 

 

Message 41 of 156 (3,037 Views)

Re: iphone 2am unauthorized data usage

http://www.everythingicafe.com/att-explains-late-night-data-usage/2010/07/29/

 

"This is a routine update of your daily data activity on your device to ensure the accuracy of your data billing. Customers are not charged for data usage, given that no data session is generated. It’s not uncommon for devices that are ‘always on’, like iPhone, to process data event records for billing purposes after a certain amount of inactivity or after long periods of time. It’s also separate from how our system lets you monitor your data consumption."

 

------------------------------------------

i still dont see how this is possible and or if you really are not being charged due to the fact that it raises your data when you check data under account. If this really is the reason why however, at&t should take it off the total data usage so when i look i know how much i ACTUALLY have left over rather then how much it calculated with the update.

 

 

EDIT: this actually could be the case. after searching people without iphones had this problem occur also.

Samsung impression :

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Samsung/Samsung-Impression-Random-data-usage/td-p/1823460

Palm Pixi:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Palm/Pixi-Plus-strange-Data-Use-at-night/m-p/1947014

Droid?:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Samsung/magical-data-being-used/m-p/1983658

BlackBerry:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Billing/Weird-data-charges-in-the-middle-of-the-night/td-p/1894092

Samsung Blackjack:

http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Samsung/Data-Question-Blackjack/m-p/1268421

 

HOWEVER -- the owner of the samsung impression stated that they have never used data so why it would show up does not support it being the "Total data accumulated throughout the day"

Also they got charged for it on their bill while att says it is not charged.

Message 42 of 156 (3,032 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: iphone 2am unauthorized data usage

 


signem wrote:

 

Sandblaster,

I understand what aggregation is. I also understand the difference between data received and data sent. The usage statistics have the bulk of the data in the "sent" category, not received.

 

So even if the aggregation of data received is accurate, it does not account for the huge amount of data sent. And, it does not explain why this 2 am usage changed on June 16 when I ordered the iphone 4. Previously, the nightly sent shown was about 16K not 3 to 7MB!

 


Usage on your bill only shows as "sent", however it includes both received and sent.

 

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 43 of 156 (3,016 Views)
ACE - Master

Re: iphone 2am unauthorized data usage

 


signem wrote:

I actually took my iphone back after 4 days because of this issue and no obvious resolution. I went back to my original 2g iphone and they gave me back my unlimited data plan.

 

In just under one month, they have calculated 81MB of data. Most of those days I was on wi-fi. And, because those overnight calculations are mostly sent data, rather than received, they are clearly incorrect to say the least.

 

The highest month I ever had before this was 50MB during a Florida vacation. Other than that month, my usage is in the 20-30 MB range.

 

I have not changed my habits using the iphone. As a matter of fact, I think I am receiving less mail now.

 

Since much of this data transfer was on days that I was never off wi-fi, I think that ATt is including wi-fi in the data charges which is clearly against to their stated policy.

 

ATT and Apple seem to be in total denial over all of this, but someone needs to step up soon before someone figures it out and initiates a class-action lawsuit.

 

BTW, since I reverted to my original iphone, I am definitely not participating in any program to provide Apple with feedback of any kind.

 


 

Again, data usage on ATT's site shows everything as sent but it does include sent and received. I doubt you will believe me but there is no way they are including data sent over wifi. Sounds to me like you had your new phone set up to send the diagnostic data to Apple but since you returned it, no way you'll ever know for sure.

 

Just curious, you say you went back to your old 2G, which means you had the option to keep unlimited data with your iphone4. Did you not do that? Seems there would be no issue had you kept unlimited data.

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 44 of 156 (3,006 Views)
Teacher

Re: iphone 2am unauthorized data usage

Yes, I went back to the old iphone and got my unlimited plan back.

 

I continue to monitor usage. I would like to switch to the 200mb plan because it is cheaper. 

 

And why wouldn't I care? It does not matter if it is not an immediate issue for me. What is not right is not right. 

 

Message 45 of 156 (3,004 Views)
Share this topic
Announcements

Welcome to the AT&T Community Forums!!! Stop by the Community How-To section for tips on how to get started.