Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Jun 28, 2010
6:01:45 AM
View profile
iphone 2am unauthorized data usage

Beginning on June 16, my original iphone began transmitting 2+MB of data "internet/MEdia Net" at 2 am every morning. Prior to this, my records show a daily data transmission at that time in the range of 8-50KB.

I changed to the 200MB plan when I upgraded to iphone 4 on June 24 and have begun monitoring data - that is how i discovered this escalation in data use. Both existing and new iphones are always on wi-fi at 2am. On 6/25, this 2am data usage jumped to 5MB, so I have switched off cell data altogether.

What is going on? At this rate, my iphone will use all 200MB of data in a month with these 2 am data uploads. I saw complaints about this on the Apple forum with no solution provided by ATT.

For 2 1/2 years, with my original iphone, I used an average of 30-50MB of data per month, so I was quite comfortable signing up for the 200MB plan. 

Is ATT going to fix this problem? 

Signe

Beginning on June 16, my original iphone began transmitting 2+MB of data "internet/MEdia Net" at 2 am every morning. Prior to this, my records show a daily data transmission at that time in the range of 8-50KB.

I changed to the 200MB plan when I upgraded to iphone 4 on June 24 and have begun monitoring data - that is how i discovered this escalation in data use. Both existing and new iphones are always on wi-fi at 2am. On 6/25, this 2am data usage jumped to 5MB, so I have switched off cell data altogether.

What is going on? At this rate, my iphone will use all 200MB of data in a month with these 2 am data uploads. I saw complaints about this on the Apple forum with no solution provided by ATT.

For 2 1/2 years, with my original iphone, I used an average of 30-50MB of data per month, so I was quite comfortable signing up for the 200MB plan. 

Is ATT going to fix this problem? 

Signe

Accepted Solution

iphone 2am unauthorized data usage

155 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(155)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 6:48:07 AM
(0)
Professor
Edited by josephz2va on Jun 28, 2010 at 6:50:01 AM

There are several data transfers including for overnight:

* Voicemail

* Push Notifications

* Push Email (except GMail at times)

* MS Exchange (Yahoo, MobileMe, and GMail support these)

* MMS and SMS ping

* active applications (7 API types on apps including Background API, file transfer to complete, etc)

You can close active applications by double tapping home, holding an active app, and then pressing the stop icon to close it. To prevent any data transfer, swap to airplane mode. You can also keep data going by hooking up a wifi router and keeping wifi enabled while on airplane mode.

There are several data transfers including for overnight:

* Voicemail

* Push Notifications

* Push Email (except GMail at times)

* MS Exchange (Yahoo, MobileMe, and GMail support these)

* MMS and SMS ping

* active applications (7 API types on apps including Background API, file transfer to complete, etc)

You can close active applications by double tapping home, holding an active app, and then pressing the stop icon to close it. To prevent any data transfer, swap to airplane mode. You can also keep data going by hooking up a wifi router and keeping wifi enabled while on airplane mode.

Re: iphone 2am unauthorized data usage

[ Edited ]
2 of 156 (13,217 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 6:51:43 AM
(0)
Guru
It may be a program you've downloaded from the app store. But, I think the real question here is, if it's hooked to wifi, why is it using cell data? Mine does it too, but I still have unlimited data, so I'm not real concerned.
It may be a program you've downloaded from the app store. But, I think the real question here is, if it's hooked to wifi, why is it using cell data? Mine does it too, but I still have unlimited data, so I'm not real concerned.

3 of 156 (13,203 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 6:55:47 AM
(0)
Expert

davidusr wrote:

suspect that when the phone is in sleep mode the wifi is turned off, the cellular data network connection is required to be avtive even when the phone is off to be able to recieve phone calls, visual voicemail messages for the required. If it is an app, then the author needs to reevaluate how it sends and recieves data

davidusr wrote:

suspect that when the phone is in sleep mode the wifi is turned off, the cellular data network connection is required to be avtive even when the phone is off to be able to recieve phone calls, visual voicemail messages for the required. If it is an app, then the author needs to reevaluate how it sends and recieves data

4 of 156 (13,197 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 7:07:21 AM
(0)
Teacher

I don't have any applications other than what came on the iphone. It is connected to WIFI. And the big problem is that this is "data sent", not data received! I would understand if this were data received, but it is not. And, why this massive increase starting on June 16. I thought it was the switch to iphone4 on June 24 until I looked at the data usage and found it started on June 16, the day after I ordered the new iphone.

Signe

I don't have any applications other than what came on the iphone. It is connected to WIFI. And the big problem is that this is "data sent", not data received! I would understand if this were data received, but it is not. And, why this massive increase starting on June 16. I thought it was the switch to iphone4 on June 24 until I looked at the data usage and found it started on June 16, the day after I ordered the new iphone.

Signe

5 of 156 (13,173 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 8:20:43 AM
(0)
Expert

signem wrote:

Signe

it would be cellular if the wifi is in sleep mode and it appears it does not wake up the wifi connection for this.

It appears to be some form of update, maybe it is sending usage updates, not sure, have had a Iphone for a couple of years and the data records that I can check back to have always had the upload around 1am in the morning, prior to that the other smartphones that I have had did the same thing. I put it off to the fact I push check exchange, gmail and my isp provider email addresses every 30 minutes

signem wrote:

Signe

it would be cellular if the wifi is in sleep mode and it appears it does not wake up the wifi connection for this.

It appears to be some form of update, maybe it is sending usage updates, not sure, have had a Iphone for a couple of years and the data records that I can check back to have always had the upload around 1am in the morning, prior to that the other smartphones that I have had did the same thing. I put it off to the fact I push check exchange, gmail and my isp provider email addresses every 30 minutes

6 of 156 (13,098 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 8:26:54 AM
(0)
Teacher

I will check settings on my router to ensure that it is not sleeping. 

Regarding the 2 am uploads or 1am in your case, can you check and see if they increased exponentially in size on June 16? I am trying to get to the bottom of this - why they went from a few KB to several MB. 

If I do not manually turn off cell, I will exceed my 200MB data plan limit by the end of the month. 

I will check settings on my router to ensure that it is not sleeping. 

Regarding the 2 am uploads or 1am in your case, can you check and see if they increased exponentially in size on June 16? I am trying to get to the bottom of this - why they went from a few KB to several MB. 

If I do not manually turn off cell, I will exceed my 200MB data plan limit by the end of the month. 

7 of 156 (13,081 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 8:59:53 AM
(0)
Guru
He was referring to wifi on the phone, not your router. If the phone is sleeping, it will use cell network rather than wifi, which answers my question. Thanks Wingrider! I didn't realize, or think about, the phone using cell data while in sleep mode.
He was referring to wifi on the phone, not your router. If the phone is sleeping, it will use cell network rather than wifi, which answers my question. Thanks Wingrider! I didn't realize, or think about, the phone using cell data while in sleep mode.

8 of 156 (13,048 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 9:25:28 AM
(0)
Teacher

Yes, I figured that out after looking at my router and it says that the iphone has been attached for 18 hours. I just changed autolock to "never" to see if this helps. 

I'm still looking for the reason that the data sent increased to several MB every night.

The other problem that I am consistently seeing is that my iphone will still rack up data even while it is attached to WIFI during the day. I'm assuming that this is because the phone is going to sleep.

But, even if that was going on before June 16, I never had the daily massive accumulation of data. My highest month was 50MB, but I was traveling and not connected to WIFI.

Has anyone from ATT chimed in here? I'm hoping that an ATT technical person can answer this question about the increase in data.

Yes, I figured that out after looking at my router and it says that the iphone has been attached for 18 hours. I just changed autolock to "never" to see if this helps. 

I'm still looking for the reason that the data sent increased to several MB every night.

The other problem that I am consistently seeing is that my iphone will still rack up data even while it is attached to WIFI during the day. I'm assuming that this is because the phone is going to sleep.

But, even if that was going on before June 16, I never had the daily massive accumulation of data. My highest month was 50MB, but I was traveling and not connected to WIFI.

Has anyone from ATT chimed in here? I'm hoping that an ATT technical person can answer this question about the increase in data.

9 of 156 (13,011 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 9:57:12 AM
(0)
Tutor

so b4 putting it to sleep mode we should manually stop the cellular data?

so b4 putting it to sleep mode we should manually stop the cellular data?

10 of 156 (12,982 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 10:14:46 AM
(0)
Professor

davidusr wrote:

Not sure what "Wake on Wireless" means in Apple's definition. However WiFi can remain on if you are recharging your iPhone. I've recharged my iPhone nightly and the WiFi icon was always on after several hours.

However you need it on an active connection (wall plug) versus computer connection. If you have your computer going to sleep, it turns off the power transfer.

davidusr wrote:

Not sure what "Wake on Wireless" means in Apple's definition. However WiFi can remain on if you are recharging your iPhone. I've recharged my iPhone nightly and the WiFi icon was always on after several hours.

However you need it on an active connection (wall plug) versus computer connection. If you have your computer going to sleep, it turns off the power transfer.

11 of 156 (6,844 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 11:40:04 AM
(0)
Explorer
A few ways to stop/prevent phantom am usage accumulation:- turn off eMail Push & Fetch, close Safari windows, minimise the use of apps which utilize unattended data e.g. RSS Feed. Etc...

Check out my full post here:-
http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Apple/Who-does-my-iphone-talk-to-when-sleeping/m-p/1957505/highlig...
A few ways to stop/prevent phantom am usage accumulation:- turn off eMail Push & Fetch, close Safari windows, minimise the use of apps which utilize unattended data e.g. RSS Feed. Etc...

Check out my full post here:-
http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Apple/Who-does-my-iphone-talk-to-when-sleeping/m-p/1957505/highlight/true#M132158

12 of 156 (6,819 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 12:02:35 PM
(0)
Teacher

Thank you for the link to your thread on this topic.

Did you start seeing this problem recently or was it some time ago. For me, it started on June 16, which is the day I ordered my iphone4. I did not get the phone  until June 24. 

So, after 2 1/2 years on my first gen iphone, I had minimal data usage at night and now have this huge amount of data being transmitted - from my old iphone! 

This is beginning to smell more and more like an effort on ATT's part to ensure that you have to get a higher data limit. If the data increase had started on the day that I activated my iphone, I could blame it on Safari or push email, but it started before I got the new phone. And I certainly did not change my usage habits on June 16!

I don't think I should have to turn the darned thing off every night or any of the hardware solutions that I never needed before. I checked back records and my data usage was always around 30MB except the month I was on vacation when it went up to 50MB.

Thank you for the link to your thread on this topic.

Did you start seeing this problem recently or was it some time ago. For me, it started on June 16, which is the day I ordered my iphone4. I did not get the phone  until June 24. 

So, after 2 1/2 years on my first gen iphone, I had minimal data usage at night and now have this huge amount of data being transmitted - from my old iphone! 

This is beginning to smell more and more like an effort on ATT's part to ensure that you have to get a higher data limit. If the data increase had started on the day that I activated my iphone, I could blame it on Safari or push email, but it started before I got the new phone. And I certainly did not change my usage habits on June 16!

I don't think I should have to turn the darned thing off every night or any of the hardware solutions that I never needed before. I checked back records and my data usage was always around 30MB except the month I was on vacation when it went up to 50MB.

13 of 156 (6,799 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 12:21:52 PM
(0)
Mentor

i just looked at my data usage and saw a smilar pattern between 2-3am each night.  it says im sending between 2 - 4 mb of data!!.  This is insane!!  i checked back as far as June 5th and its there each night.

i just looked at my data usage and saw a smilar pattern between 2-3am each night.  it says im sending between 2 - 4 mb of data!!.  This is insane!!  i checked back as far as June 5th and its there each night.

14 of 156 (6,789 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 1:54:31 PM
(0)
Expert

signem wrote:

What is the dhcp release time on your router? Your router will hold it in the dhcp table until the device has been offline or out of ranged until the dhcp renewal time expires. In most routers this is a default of 24 hours so a device that has been issued a IP address from your router DHCP routine wil stay in the active list until the release time expires - as long as it has not reconnected back to the network, In the case of a wirelss device like the Iphone the default is for the wireless to auto connect to a known network/

signem wrote:

What is the dhcp release time on your router? Your router will hold it in the dhcp table until the device has been offline or out of ranged until the dhcp renewal time expires. In most routers this is a default of 24 hours so a device that has been issued a IP address from your router DHCP routine wil stay in the active list until the release time expires - as long as it has not reconnected back to the network, In the case of a wirelss device like the Iphone the default is for the wireless to auto connect to a known network/

15 of 156 (6,747 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 1:56:35 PM
(0)
Expert

maxxram wrote:

you have something sending data outside of the phone, looked at my phones nitle sojourns to the net, max data transmitted was 130kb not mb, this was over a few month period when I looked at the iphones data usage and time on the online att site

maxxram wrote:

you have something sending data outside of the phone, looked at my phones nitle sojourns to the net, max data transmitted was 130kb not mb, this was over a few month period when I looked at the iphones data usage and time on the online att site

16 of 156 (6,745 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 1:58:03 PM
(0)
Guru

I have no push or anything set to transmit.

Yet I too have this.

We need an explanation from AT&T on what they are causing the phone to do since this costs bytes  for those of you have tierd plans.

Also, AT&T and Apple need to make sure that the phone attempts to send this data via Wifi FIRST, and then ONLY WHEN Wifi isn't available, transmit (IF this data is actually NECCESSARY to send) via cellular.

I see no reason to solely default to cellular transmission of this information.

Yet I too have this.

We need an explanation from AT&T on what they are causing the phone to do since this costs bytes  for those of you have tierd plans.

Also, AT&T and Apple need to make sure that the phone attempts to send this data via Wifi FIRST, and then ONLY WHEN Wifi isn't available, transmit (IF this data is actually NECCESSARY to send) via cellular.

17 of 156 (6,742 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 2:10:09 PM
(0)
Expert

DimentoGraven wrote:

Yet I too have this.

Since it is a IOS function it is Apple that will have to make the change, not ATT - there is a feedback section over on the Apple Iphone boards that this should be submitted it.

I can see a reason, couple of them with a few minutes thought - data transmission needs to be secured, by default the cellular transmission is secure, no idea on the current wifi that it is connected to is secure or utilizes a encryption key as the first one that comes to mind

DimentoGraven wrote:

Yet I too have this.

Since it is a IOS function it is Apple that will have to make the change, not ATT - there is a feedback section over on the Apple Iphone boards that this should be submitted it.

I can see a reason, couple of them with a few minutes thought - data transmission needs to be secured, by default the cellular transmission is secure, no idea on the current wifi that it is connected to is secure or utilizes a encryption key as the first one that comes to mind

18 of 156 (6,726 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 28, 2010 2:54:12 PM
(0)
Guru

wingrider01 wrote:

What would they need to transmit that would require a secure transmission?

If this is absolutely required, and there's no "secure" method of transmitting this via Wifi, then the next question is why should people on tierd plans have to "pay" for this data to be transmitted?  These system data transmissions should be on AT&T's dime, and any data  that is the result of a user's actions (this includes setting up PUSH notifications and the like) should be what is charged against the user's data plan.

wingrider01 wrote:

If this is absolutely required, and there's no "secure" method of transmitting this via Wifi, then the next question is why should people on tierd plans have to "pay" for this data to be transmitted?  These system data transmissions should be on AT&T's dime, and any data  that is the result of a user's actions (this includes setting up PUSH notifications and the like) should be what is charged against the user's data plan.

19 of 156 (6,703 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 3:45:22 AM
(0)
Expert

DimentoGraven wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Maybe they are on ATT dime, after all ATT does send out text alerts that are not counted against text plan counts, the data transmissions maybe flagged for no charge or count against the data limit. This whole thread is 100 percent pure speculation and given the simple fact it is not a ATT response forum the chances are pretty high that no one will ever respond to it

DimentoGraven wrote:

wingrider01 wrote:

Maybe they are on ATT dime, after all ATT does send out text alerts that are not counted against text plan counts, the data transmissions maybe flagged for no charge or count against the data limit. This whole thread is 100 percent pure speculation and given the simple fact it is not a ATT response forum the chances are pretty high that no one will ever respond to it

20 of 156 (6,643 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 4:10:52 AM
(0)
Mentor

This is being heavily discussed here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2450738

This is being heavily discussed here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2450738

Posted from my iPhone

21 of 156 (7,930 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jun 29, 2010 5:39:37 AM
(0)
Teacher

i reviewed the entire discussion at the Apple message board and there are still no official answers.

Concensus seems to be that the nighly transmissions are some type of aggregation of data usage during the day. The question for me remains whether I will be charged for that data. And one nagging question is what is actually being transmitted? And, how do we ensure that there is no privacy violation?

Not being able to get a straight answer makes me quite uncomfortable. I hope that ATT or Apple will eventually disclose that information since there is obviously a great deal of interest, particularly on the Apple message board.

Thanks for all your comments.

i reviewed the entire discussion at the Apple message board and there are still no official answers.

Concensus seems to be that the nighly transmissions are some type of aggregation of data usage during the day. The question for me remains whether I will be charged for that data. And one nagging question is what is actually being transmitted? And, how do we ensure that there is no privacy violation?

Not being able to get a straight answer makes me quite uncomfortable. I hope that ATT or Apple will eventually disclose that information since there is obviously a great deal of interest, particularly on the Apple message board.

Thanks for all your comments.

22 of 156 (7,911 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 15, 2010 5:47:35 PM
(0)
Contributor

I have the same problem and I have been talking to them for almost 2 weeks.  They told me I had a high priority case  and would get back to me in a few days. I called them back and they told me nothing yet but it may take another week.

I tried everything the told me. I even left my phone on wifi at night and still get data usage. They even suggested for me to turn my phone off at night. GREAT IDEA.

I even talked to Apple about this problem and they have had people call them on this problem too.

I think this is a big problem but MOST people do not monitor there data usage.

I have the same problem and I have been talking to them for almost 2 weeks.  They told me I had a high priority case  and would get back to me in a few days. I called them back and they told me nothing yet but it may take another week.

I tried everything the told me. I even left my phone on wifi at night and still get data usage. They even suggested for me to turn my phone off at night. GREAT IDEA.

I even talked to Apple about this problem and they have had people call them on this problem too.

I think this is a big problem but MOST people do not monitor there data usage.

Re: iphone Am unauthorized data usage

23 of 156 (7,690 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 16, 2010 8:56:48 PM
(0)
Contributor

It's not just iPhones. Saw the exact same thing on my wife's Palm Pixi, and when I moved to the 200MB tier on my Blackberry, it's happening there too, all starting on the EXACT day that I got the tiered plan. AT&T is screwing us.

It's not just iPhones. Saw the exact same thing on my wife's Palm Pixi, and when I moved to the 200MB tier on my Blackberry, it's happening there too, all starting on the EXACT day that I got the tiered plan. AT&T is screwing us.

Re: iphone Am unauthorized data usage

24 of 156 (7,620 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2010 5:52:10 PM
(0)
Contributor

Same story here. I had unlimited data usage when I first got my iphone, so I never bothered to track it. After reviewing my bills I realized I never used more than 130 mb (even when vacationing etc), so I decided to save a few bucks and get the 200mb per month  plan.  I have NEVER turned my phone off at night, and prior to June 18, have never incurred data usage at these odd hours. Checked back on my June bill, and saw the usage started to appear on the 18th, one or two every night (well morning!) Only about 2 mb, no big deal really. Then I checked July bill, and whoa... 59mb!  Really? I have been reading numerous discussions about the same problems, people are reporting hundreds and hundreds of mb usage unexplained. Spoke with AT&T customer service today and explained all this to the rep, and he said, and I quote "UH?" I was transferred to a supervisor who wants to blame apps updating. Funny how they never updated during these times before, and certainly never this volume of use. Then he suggested I turn my phone off at night. Wow figure that one out on your own did you? How about some real answers to why this has only recently become a problem. This certainly needs to be investigated further.

Same story here. I had unlimited data usage when I first got my iphone, so I never bothered to track it. After reviewing my bills I realized I never used more than 130 mb (even when vacationing etc), so I decided to save a few bucks and get the 200mb per month  plan.  I have NEVER turned my phone off at night, and prior to June 18, have never incurred data usage at these odd hours. Checked back on my June bill, and saw the usage started to appear on the 18th, one or two every night (well morning!) Only about 2 mb, no big deal really. Then I checked July bill, and whoa... 59mb!  Really? I have been reading numerous discussions about the same problems, people are reporting hundreds and hundreds of mb usage unexplained. Spoke with AT&T customer service today and explained all this to the rep, and he said, and I quote "UH?" I was transferred to a supervisor who wants to blame apps updating. Funny how they never updated during these times before, and certainly never this volume of use. Then he suggested I turn my phone off at night. Wow figure that one out on your own did you? How about some real answers to why this has only recently become a problem. This certainly needs to be investigated further.

25 of 156 (7,464 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2010 7:04:41 PM
(0)
Voyager

This problem has stopped my family, and a few friends' families from upgrading and renewing our contracts.  It all hinges on the company addressing - And FIXING - this problem that many are screaming about.  According to other forums, this is the case with many people.  I don't mind giving my business to another carrier.  My friend is a plant manager and he was talking about the possibility of getting certain depts. the iphone (employee pays for phone and they pay for plan) and I told him of this possible issue and he put that idea on hold.  He said he was going to look into the roid.  I dunno, just glad I'm not under contract and have some choices.

This problem has stopped my family, and a few friends' families from upgrading and renewing our contracts.  It all hinges on the company addressing - And FIXING - this problem that many are screaming about.  According to other forums, this is the case with many people.  I don't mind giving my business to another carrier.  My friend is a plant manager and he was talking about the possibility of getting certain depts. the iphone (employee pays for phone and they pay for plan) and I told him of this possible issue and he put that idea on hold.  He said he was going to look into the roid.  I dunno, just glad I'm not under contract and have some choices.

26 of 156 (7,443 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 25, 2010 8:44:16 PM
(0)
ACE - Master

I upgraded to an iPhone 4 from my old iPhone 3G on 07-13-2010.  My billing cycle ended on 07-20-2010, so I started a new cycle that dat, and as of this morning (07-25-2010) I show my total data usage to be 37.1 MB according to the AT&T web site.  Right now my phone itself is showing 47.8MB used,  but I do know I've had a bit of usage today that wasnt showing on the AT&T web site yet.

Ther ehave been amny discussions about this data usage that appears to be listed as happening in the middle of the night.  One school of thought it is partially related to the "Diagnostic information" that Apple asked users if they wanted to send to supposedly improve the overall experience.  Another is that some of your usage for the day is not itemized separately and is aggregated into this one time bucket in the overnight, perhaps when data from "roaming" is reported back into AT&T's system.

During this I can tell you that I have had 28 email accounst sending data to my iPhone, with over a dozen of those using one form or another to send me push notifications.  I have also downloaded about a dozen app updates,  and 3-4 new apps OTA (my Mac is in for repairs under AppleCare).  My iPhone doesn't sit idle, although it does us wifi when possible.since my billing cycle reset, I've averaged 8.0-8.5MB/day,  which is a little lower than I would have expected.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.

I upgraded to an iPhone 4 from my old iPhone 3G on 07-13-2010.  My billing cycle ended on 07-20-2010, so I started a new cycle that dat, and as of this morning (07-25-2010) I show my total data usage to be 37.1 MB according to the AT&T web site.  Right now my phone itself is showing 47.8MB used,  but I do know I've had a bit of usage today that wasnt showing on the AT&T web site yet.

Ther ehave been amny discussions about this data usage that appears to be listed as happening in the middle of the night.  One school of thought it is partially related to the "Diagnostic information" that Apple asked users if they wanted to send to supposedly improve the overall experience.  Another is that some of your usage for the day is not itemized separately and is aggregated into this one time bucket in the overnight, perhaps when data from "roaming" is reported back into AT&T's system.

During this I can tell you that I have had 28 email accounst sending data to my iPhone, with over a dozen of those using one form or another to send me push notifications.  I have also downloaded about a dozen app updates,  and 3-4 new apps OTA (my Mac is in for repairs under AppleCare).  My iPhone doesn't sit idle, although it does us wifi when possible.since my billing cycle reset, I've averaged 8.0-8.5MB/day,  which is a little lower than I would have expected.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

27 of 156 (7,424 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 4:17:13 AM
(0)
Expert

funny thing, since this arguement started I have had a factory default Iphone 3GS with IS 4.01 installed sitting on a charger, nothing but Apple supplied apps on it.

Data usage is very interesting

Last reset 06/30/10 at 2:23 PM

Sent - 656KB

Recieved - 2.1 MB

this is a factory reset Iphone 3GS. So for 26+ days the total data usage is very low. Come the 31st of the month will pass it to my teenage daughter woh will use the phone with no additional 3rd party applications loaded and just basic day to day use, suspect only great increase will be texting counts

funny thing, since this arguement started I have had a factory default Iphone 3GS with IS 4.01 installed sitting on a charger, nothing but Apple supplied apps on it.

Data usage is very interesting

Last reset 06/30/10 at 2:23 PM

Sent - 656KB

Recieved - 2.1 MB

this is a factory reset Iphone 3GS. So for 26+ days the total data usage is very low. Come the 31st of the month will pass it to my teenage daughter woh will use the phone with no additional 3rd party applications loaded and just basic day to day use, suspect only great increase will be texting counts

28 of 156 (7,384 Views)
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 5:34:45 AM
(0)
ACE - Professor

stimey123 wrote:

There isn't any problem. It's two things

1) the user agreeing to send diagnostics to apple, which generates data use (so, don't do that)

and

2) the way AT&T batches the data usage for reporting purposes

Otherwise, the actual usage tracks the reported usage just fine. For fun, clear your counters at midnight. Then, check your counters again the next midnight. At least a day later, check the usage for that day on the AT&T site. Hey, look, they match!

stimey123 wrote:

There isn't any problem. It's two things

1) the user agreeing to send diagnostics to apple, which generates data use (so, don't do that)

and

2) the way AT&T batches the data usage for reporting purposes

Otherwise, the actual usage tracks the reported usage just fine. For fun, clear your counters at midnight. Then, check your counters again the next midnight. At least a day later, check the usage for that day on the AT&T site. Hey, look, they match!

*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.

29 of 156 (7,365 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Jul 26, 2010 6:17:32 AM
(0)
Teacher

"There isn't any problem. It's two things

and

2) the way AT&T batches the data usage for reporting purposes"

It is a problem if I am using wifi and am getting billed for data usage. That was part of the issue that I stated in the first place. I never even left the house for a couple of days and was on wifi the whole time and yet this data was showing up.

Did this show up on my bill? It doesn't matter because my data did not exceed 200MB. However, it could easily be a problem for someone else or for me in a month where I used considerably more data.

"There isn't any problem. It's two things

and

2) the way AT&T batches the data usage for reporting purposes"

It is a problem if I am using wifi and am getting billed for data usage. That was part of the issue that I stated in the first place. I never even left the house for a couple of days and was on wifi the whole time and yet this data was showing up.

Did this show up on my bill? It doesn't matter because my data did not exceed 200MB. However, it could easily be a problem for someone else or for me in a month where I used considerably more data.

30 of 156 (7,354 Views)
Advanced
You must be signed in to add attachments