Helpful Links

iphone 2am unauthorized data usage

Teacher

iphone 2am unauthorized data usage

Beginning on June 16, my original iphone began transmitting 2+MB of data "internet/MEdia Net" at 2 am every morning. Prior to this, my records show a daily data transmission at that time in the range of 8-50KB.

I changed to the 200MB plan when I upgraded to iphone 4 on June 24 and have begun monitoring data - that is how i discovered this escalation in data use. Both existing and new iphones are always on wi-fi at 2am. On 6/25, this 2am data usage jumped to 5MB, so I have switched off cell data altogether.

What is going on? At this rate, my iphone will use all 200MB of data in a month with these 2 am data uploads. I saw complaints about this on the Apple forum with no solution provided by ATT.

For 2 1/2 years, with my original iphone, I used an average of 30-50MB of data per month, so I was quite comfortable signing up for the 200MB plan. 

Is ATT going to fix this problem? 

Signe

Message 1 of 156

Re: iphone 2am unauthorized data usage

This is being heavily discussed here:

http://discussions.apple.com/thread.jspa?threadID=2450738

Message 21 of 156
Teacher

i reviewed the entire discussion at the Apple message board and there are still no official answers.

Concensus seems to be that the nighly transmissions are some type of aggregation of data usage during the day. The question for me remains whether I will be charged for that data. And one nagging question is what is actually being transmitted? And, how do we ensure that there is no privacy violation?

Not being able to get a straight answer makes me quite uncomfortable. I hope that ATT or Apple will eventually disclose that information since there is obviously a great deal of interest, particularly on the Apple message board.

Thanks for all your comments.

Message 22 of 156
Contributor

Re: iphone Am unauthorized data usage

I have the same problem and I have been talking to them for almost 2 weeks.  They told me I had a high priority case  and would get back to me in a few days. I called them back and they told me nothing yet but it may take another week.

I tried everything the told me. I even left my phone on wifi at night and still get data usage. They even suggested for me to turn my phone off at night. GREAT IDEA.

I even talked to Apple about this problem and they have had people call them on this problem too.

I think this is a big problem but MOST people do not monitor there data usage.

Message 23 of 156
Contributor

Re: iphone Am unauthorized data usage

It's not just iPhones. Saw the exact same thing on my wife's Palm Pixi, and when I moved to the 200MB tier on my Blackberry, it's happening there too, all starting on the EXACT day that I got the tiered plan. AT&T is screwing us.

Message 24 of 156
Contributor

Same story here. I had unlimited data usage when I first got my iphone, so I never bothered to track it. After reviewing my bills I realized I never used more than 130 mb (even when vacationing etc), so I decided to save a few bucks and get the 200mb per month  plan.  I have NEVER turned my phone off at night, and prior to June 18, have never incurred data usage at these odd hours. Checked back on my June bill, and saw the usage started to appear on the 18th, one or two every night (well morning!) Only about 2 mb, no big deal really. Then I checked July bill, and whoa... 59mb!  Really? I have been reading numerous discussions about the same problems, people are reporting hundreds and hundreds of mb usage unexplained. Spoke with AT&T customer service today and explained all this to the rep, and he said, and I quote "UH?" I was transferred to a supervisor who wants to blame apps updating. Funny how they never updated during these times before, and certainly never this volume of use. Then he suggested I turn my phone off at night. Wow figure that one out on your own did you? How about some real answers to why this has only recently become a problem. This certainly needs to be investigated further.

Message 25 of 156
Voyager

This problem has stopped my family, and a few friends' families from upgrading and renewing our contracts.  It all hinges on the company addressing - And FIXING - this problem that many are screaming about.  According to other forums, this is the case with many people.  I don't mind giving my business to another carrier.  My friend is a plant manager and he was talking about the possibility of getting certain depts. the iphone (employee pays for phone and they pay for plan) and I told him of this possible issue and he put that idea on hold.  He said he was going to look into the roid.  I dunno, just glad I'm not under contract and have some choices.

Message 26 of 156
ACE - Master

I upgraded to an iPhone 4 from my old iPhone 3G on 07-13-2010.  My billing cycle ended on 07-20-2010, so I started a new cycle that dat, and as of this morning (07-25-2010) I show my total data usage to be 37.1 MB according to the AT&T web site.  Right now my phone itself is showing 47.8MB used,  but I do know I've had a bit of usage today that wasnt showing on the AT&T web site yet.

Ther ehave been amny discussions about this data usage that appears to be listed as happening in the middle of the night.  One school of thought it is partially related to the "Diagnostic information" that Apple asked users if they wanted to send to supposedly improve the overall experience.  Another is that some of your usage for the day is not itemized separately and is aggregated into this one time bucket in the overnight, perhaps when data from "roaming" is reported back into AT&T's system.

During this I can tell you that I have had 28 email accounst sending data to my iPhone, with over a dozen of those using one form or another to send me push notifications.  I have also downloaded about a dozen app updates,  and 3-4 new apps OTA (my Mac is in for repairs under AppleCare).  My iPhone doesn't sit idle, although it does us wifi when possible.since my billing cycle reset, I've averaged 8.0-8.5MB/day,  which is a little lower than I would have expected.

Jerry B.
"GeekBoy"

--

For additional help, please send a PM to ATTCustomerCare.
*The views and opinions expressed on this forum are purely my own. Any product claim, statistic, quote, or other representation about a product or service should be verified with the manufacturer, provider, or party.
Message 27 of 156
Expert

funny thing, since this arguement started I have had a factory default Iphone 3GS with IS 4.01 installed sitting on a charger, nothing but Apple supplied apps on it.

Data usage is very interesting

Last reset 06/30/10 at 2:23 PM

Sent - 656KB

Recieved - 2.1 MB

this is a factory reset Iphone 3GS. So for 26+ days the total data usage is very low. Come the 31st of the month will pass it to my teenage daughter woh will use the phone with no additional 3rd party applications loaded and just basic day to day use, suspect only great increase will be texting counts

Message 28 of 156
Highlighted
Professor

stimey123 wrote:

This problem has stopped my family, and a few friends' families from upgrading and renewing our contracts.  It all hinges on the company addressing - And FIXING - this problem that many are screaming about.  According to other forums, this is the case with many people.  I don't mind giving my business to another carrier.  My friend is a plant manager and he was talking about the possibility of getting certain depts. the iphone (employee pays for phone and they pay for plan) and I told him of this possible issue and he put that idea on hold.  He said he was going to look into the roid.  I dunno, just glad I'm not under contract and have some choices.

There isn't any problem. It's two things

1) the user agreeing to send diagnostics to apple, which generates data use (so, don't do that)

and

2) the way AT&T batches the data usage for reporting purposes

Otherwise, the actual usage tracks the reported usage just fine. For fun, clear your counters at midnight. Then, check your counters again the next midnight. At least a day later, check the usage for that day on the AT&T site. Hey, look, they match!

Message 29 of 156
Teacher

"There isn't any problem. It's two things

1) the user agreeing to send diagnostics to apple, which generates data use (so, don't do that)

and

2) the way AT&T batches the data usage for reporting purposes"

It is a problem if I am using wifi and am getting billed for data usage. That was part of the issue that I stated in the first place. I never even left the house for a couple of days and was on wifi the whole time and yet this data was showing up.

Did this show up on my bill? It doesn't matter because my data did not exceed 200MB. However, it could easily be a problem for someone else or for me in a month where I used considerably more data.

Message 30 of 156
Share this topic
Announcements

Find out how to track your iPhone's delivery!

Have questions about International Plans? Get the answers on Wed. 10/25 at Hello World: International Plans, from 1-4pm ET / 10am-1pm PT!

Let us help you upgrade and activate your device!

Additional Support