For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
signem's profile

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

Monday, June 28th, 2010 1:01 PM

iphone 2am unauthorized data usage

Beginning on June 16, my original iphone began transmitting 2+MB of data "internet/MEdia Net" at 2 am every morning. Prior to this, my records show a daily data transmission at that time in the range of 8-50KB.

I changed to the 200MB plan when I upgraded to iphone 4 on June 24 and have begun monitoring data - that is how i discovered this escalation in data use. Both existing and new iphones are always on wi-fi at 2am. On 6/25, this 2am data usage jumped to 5MB, so I have switched off cell data altogether.

What is going on? At this rate, my iphone will use all 200MB of data in a month with these 2 am data uploads. I saw complaints about this on the Apple forum with no solution provided by ATT.

For 2 1/2 years, with my original iphone, I used an average of 30-50MB of data per month, so I was quite comfortable signing up for the 200MB plan. 

Is ATT going to fix this problem? 

Signe

Professor

• 

1.7K Messages

14 years ago

@davidusr wrote:
He was referring to wifi on the phone, not your router. If the phone is sleeping, it will use cell network rather than wifi, which answers my question. Thanks Wingrider! I didn't realize, or think about, the phone using cell data while in sleep mode.

Not sure what "Wake on Wireless" means in Apple's definition. However WiFi can remain on if you are recharging your iPhone. I've recharged my iPhone nightly and the WiFi icon was always on after several hours.

However you need it on an active connection (wall plug) versus computer connection. If you have your computer going to sleep, it turns off the power transfer.

Explorer

• 

7 Messages

14 years ago

A few ways to stop/prevent phantom am usage accumulation:- turn off eMail Push & Fetch, close Safari windows, minimise the use of apps which utilize unattended data e.g. RSS Feed. Etc...

Check out my full post here:-
http://forums.wireless.att.com/t5/Apple/Who-does-my-iphone-talk-to-when-sleeping/m-p/1957505/highlight/true#M132158

Teacher

• 

23 Messages

14 years ago

Thank you for the link to your thread on this topic.

Did you start seeing this problem recently or was it some time ago. For me, it started on June 16, which is the day I ordered my iphone4. I did not get the phone  until June 24. 

So, after 2 1/2 years on my first gen iphone, I had minimal data usage at night and now have this huge amount of data being transmitted - from my old iphone! 

This is beginning to smell more and more like an effort on ATT's part to ensure that you have to get a higher data limit. If the data increase had started on the day that I activated my iphone, I could blame it on Safari or push email, but it started before I got the new phone. And I certainly did not change my usage habits on June 16!

I don't think I should have to turn the darned thing off every night or any of the hardware solutions that I never needed before. I checked back records and my data usage was always around 30MB except the month I was on vacation when it went up to 50MB.

Mentor

• 

28 Messages

14 years ago

i just looked at my data usage and saw a smilar pattern between 2-3am each night.  it says im sending between 2 - 4 mb of data!!.  This is insane!!  i checked back as far as June 5th and its there each night.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

14 years ago

@signem wrote:

Yes, I figured that out after looking at my router and it says that the iphone has been attached for 18 hours. I just changed autolock to "never" to see if this helps. 

I'm still looking for the reason that the data sent increased to several MB every night.

The other problem that I am consistently seeing is that my iphone will still rack up data even while it is attached to WIFI during the day. I'm assuming that this is because the phone is going to sleep.

But, even if that was going on before June 16, I never had the daily massive accumulation of data. My highest month was 50MB, but I was traveling and not connected to WIFI.

Has anyone from ATT chimed in here? I'm hoping that an ATT technical person can answer this question about the increase in data.

What is the dhcp release time on your router? Your router will hold it in the dhcp table until the device has been offline or out of ranged until the dhcp renewal time expires. In most routers this is a default of 24 hours so a device that has been issued a IP address from your router DHCP routine wil stay in the active list until the release time expires - as long as it has not reconnected back to the network, In the case of a wirelss device like the Iphone the default is for the wireless to auto connect to a known network/

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

14 years ago

@maxxram wrote:

i just looked at my data usage and saw a smilar pattern between 2-3am each night.  it says im sending between 2 - 4 mb of data!!.  This is insane!!  i checked back as far as June 5th and its there each night.

you have something sending data outside of the phone, looked at my phones nitle sojourns to the net, max data transmitted was 130kb not mb, this was over a few month period when I looked at the iphones data usage and time on the online att site

Guru

• 

659 Messages

14 years ago

I have no push or anything set to transmit.

Yet I too have this.

We need an explanation from AT&T on what they are causing the phone to do since this costs bytes  for those of you have tierd plans.

Also, AT&T and Apple need to make sure that the phone attempts to send this data via Wifi FIRST, and then ONLY WHEN Wifi isn't available, transmit (IF this data is actually NECCESSARY to send) via cellular.

I see no reason to solely default to cellular transmission of this information.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

14 years ago

@DimentoGraven wrote:

I have no push or anything set to transmit.

Yet I too have this.

We need an explanation from AT&T on what they are causing the phone to do since this costs bytes  for those of you have tierd plans.

Also, AT&T and Apple need to make sure that the phone attempts to send this data via Wifi FIRST, and then ONLY WHEN Wifi isn't available, transmit (IF this data is actually NECCESSARY to send) via cellular.

I see no reason to solely default to cellular transmission of this information.

Since it is a IOS function it is Apple that will have to make the change, not ATT - there is a feedback section over on the Apple Iphone boards that this should be submitted it.

I can see a reason, couple of them with a few minutes thought - data transmission needs to be secured, by default the cellular transmission is secure, no idea on the current wifi that it is connected to is secure or utilizes a encryption key as the first one that comes to mind

Guru

• 

659 Messages

14 years ago

@wingrider01 wrote:

Since it is a IOS function it is Apple that will have to make the change, not ATT - there is a feedback section over on the Apple Iphone boards that this should be submitted it.

I can see a reason, couple of them with a few minutes thought - data transmission needs to be secured, by default the cellular transmission is secure, no idea on the current wifi that it is connected to is secure or utilizes a encryption key as the first one that comes to mind

What would they need to transmit that would require a secure transmission?

If this is absolutely required, and there's no "secure" method of transmitting this via Wifi, then the next question is why should people on tierd plans have to "pay" for this data to be transmitted?  These system data transmissions should be on AT&T's dime, and any data  that is the result of a user's actions (this includes setting up PUSH notifications and the like) should be what is charged against the user's data plan.

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

14 years ago

@DimentoGraven wrote:

@wingrider01 wrote:

What would they need to transmit that would require a secure transmission?

If this is absolutely required, and there's no "secure" method of transmitting this via Wifi, then the next question is why should people on tierd plans have to "pay" for this data to be transmitted?  These system data transmissions should be on AT&T's dime, and any data  that is the result of a user's actions (this includes setting up PUSH notifications and the like) should be what is charged against the user's data plan.

Maybe they are on ATT dime, after all ATT does send out text alerts that are not counted against text plan counts, the data transmissions maybe flagged for no charge or count against the data limit. This whole thread is 100 percent pure speculation and given the simple fact it is not a ATT response forum the chances are pretty high that no one will ever respond to it

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.