Ask a question
Search in Wireless Forums

Wireless Forum

Posted Sep 21, 2012
9:05:53 AM
View profile
iPhone number porting

I received my iPhone 5 this morning, and entered the information the phone asked for to transfer my phone number to the new phone. Two hours later I still cannot make phone calls. I have turned the phone off and on. 

I've never had to wait this long for a phone number transfer - is there something else I should be doing?

Brett

I received my iPhone 5 this morning, and entered the information the phone asked for to transfer my phone number to the new phone. Two hours later I still cannot make phone calls. I have turned the phone off and on. 

I've never had to wait this long for a phone number transfer - is there something else I should be doing?

Brett

Accepted Solution

iPhone number porting

8 replies
(0) Me too
(0) Me too
View all replies
(8)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2012 9:16:13 AM
(0)
Expert

brett g wrote:

Brett

dumb question - did you activate in via itunes? You may have to call support

brett g wrote:

Brett

dumb question - did you activate in via itunes? You may have to call support

Re: iPhone number porting

2 of 9 (5,794 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2012 9:21:50 AM
(0)
Tutor
Not a dumb question, but I activated the phone as instructed on the phone and then restored from my old phone via iTunes. This is my third AT&T iPhone so I know the drill. I got a confirmation message saying that AT&T would email me when the number transferred. No email yet.

I guess I was wondering if anyone else is having issues, and wanted to let others know in case they are having similar waits. I expected it to be done in minutes, but this is probably a busy time.

I'll wait a while longer and then call this afternoon, if necessary. Thanks for responding.
Not a dumb question, but I activated the phone as instructed on the phone and then restored from my old phone via iTunes. This is my third AT&T iPhone so I know the drill. I got a confirmation message saying that AT&T would email me when the number transferred. No email yet.

I guess I was wondering if anyone else is having issues, and wanted to let others know in case they are having similar waits. I expected it to be done in minutes, but this is probably a busy time.

I'll wait a while longer and then call this afternoon, if necessary. Thanks for responding.

3 of 9 (5,785 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2012 9:28:06 AM
(0)
Master
Edited by Planet-Ed on Sep 21, 2012 at 9:29:20 AM

Are you just upgrading your phone or actually porting your number?

If you ported a number to AT&T it could take some time to complete.  Have you checked the status?

Number Transfer Status (Port Request) Check your number transfer status online.

Are you just upgrading your phone or actually porting your number?

If you ported a number to AT&T it could take some time to complete.  Have you checked the status?

Number Transfer Status (Port Request) Check your number transfer status online.

[ Edited ]
4 of 9 (5,773 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2012 9:30:01 AM
(0)
Tutor
I am transferring from one AT&T phone to another.

5 of 9 (5,764 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2012 10:42:12 AM
(0)
Tutor
Edited by Phil-101 on Sep 21, 2012 at 10:45:00 AM

Tried chatting with AT&T customer services. Not a big help:

"Brett G-: When I turned it on, it knew my number and asked if I wanted to set it up. I entered the SSN for the account and my zip code. But now it has been three hours so I'm thinking something didn't work.

Michael : Ouch!

Michael : Have you turned the phone off and waited 30 secounds then turn the phone back on?

Brett G-: yes, twice

Brett G-: once less than half an hour ago

Michael : I am terribly sorry to hear that your Iphone is having these issues however, due to the contract signed between AT&T and Apple, I am unable to troubleshoot or do any exchanges

Michael : I can give you the dirrect number to call Apple. That number is 800-676-2775.

Brett G-: Is this not an ATT problem?

Michael : No, this is a device problem."

[edited for privacy – please do not post full names]

Tried chatting with AT&T customer services. Not a big help:

"Brett G-: When I turned it on, it knew my number and asked if I wanted to set it up. I entered the SSN for the account and my zip code. But now it has been three hours so I'm thinking something didn't work.

Michael : Ouch!

Michael : Have you turned the phone off and waited 30 secounds then turn the phone back on?

Brett G-: yes, twice

Brett G-: once less than half an hour ago

Michael : I am terribly sorry to hear that your Iphone is having these issues however, due to the contract signed between AT&T and Apple, I am unable to troubleshoot or do any exchanges

Michael : I can give you the dirrect number to call Apple. That number is 800-676-2775.

Brett G-: Is this not an ATT problem?

Michael : No, this is a device problem."

[edited for privacy – please do not post full names]

[ Edited ]
6 of 9 (5,704 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 21, 2012 10:57:15 AM
(0)
Mentor
Ok I'm as curious as HOW is this a DEVICE PROBLEM when clearly ATT PORTING YOUR NUMBER is a PHONE SERVICE ON AN ACCOUNT?! Hmm.... I was going to port 2 of my numbers to iphone 5's but this kind of makes me want to stay away from Att unfortunately. I don't want to have to "end up with a problem" like yours, and then have to go to an Apple store since Att is down the street and Apple.... is not. Esp when it IS an ATT PROBLEM. Sorry Brett... I hope you get your number ported soon!!! Smiley Happy
Ok I'm as curious as HOW is this a DEVICE PROBLEM when clearly ATT PORTING YOUR NUMBER is a PHONE SERVICE ON AN ACCOUNT?! Hmm.... I was going to port 2 of my numbers to iphone 5's but this kind of makes me want to stay away from Att unfortunately. I don't want to have to "end up with a problem" like yours, and then have to go to an Apple store since Att is down the street and Apple.... is not. Esp when it IS an ATT PROBLEM. Sorry Brett... I hope you get your number ported soon!!! Smiley Happy

7 of 9 (5,680 Views)
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Solved
Sep 21, 2012 12:57:11 PM
(0)
Tutor

A phone call to AT&T fixed it- they said they were going to fix it quickly from within their system, but then called back a minute later and said that while my hardware was in the system it included no sim card or IMEI numbers - hence the problem - I gave it to them over the phone and they transferred the number. 

The online AT&T support guy I posted above was totally, 100% wrong. But it was an easy fix with customer support, and the hold wasn't even too long. 

A phone call to AT&T fixed it- they said they were going to fix it quickly from within their system, but then called back a minute later and said that while my hardware was in the system it included no sim card or IMEI numbers - hence the problem - I gave it to them over the phone and they transferred the number. 

The online AT&T support guy I posted above was totally, 100% wrong. But it was an easy fix with customer support, and the hold wasn't even too long. 

8 of 9 (5,624 Views)
Solution
Highlighted
(0)
  • Rate this reply
View profile
Sep 22, 2012 5:08:09 AM
(0)
Expert

brett g wrote:

then you just need to go into the store and have them swap sims around, you don;t port a number between phones on the same carrier, you port a number from one carrier to another.

you need to do it in the store becasue you will proably need a new nano sim for the iphone

brett g wrote:

then you just need to go into the store and have them swap sims around, you don;t port a number between phones on the same carrier, you port a number from one carrier to another.

you need to do it in the store becasue you will proably need a new nano sim for the iphone

9 of 9 (5,463 Views)