The new iPhone 15
brett g's profile

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

Friday, September 21st, 2012 4:05 PM

iPhone number porting

I received my iPhone 5 this morning, and entered the information the phone asked for to transfer my phone number to the new phone. Two hours later I still cannot make phone calls. I have turned the phone off and on. 

I've never had to wait this long for a phone number transfer - is there something else I should be doing?

Brett

Accepted Solution

Official Solution

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

A phone call to AT&T fixed it- they said they were going to fix it quickly from within their system, but then called back a minute later and said that while my hardware was in the system it included no sim card or IMEI numbers - hence the problem - I gave it to them over the phone and they transferred the number. 

The online AT&T support guy I posted above was totally, 100% wrong. But it was an easy fix with customer support, and the hold wasn't even too long. 

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@brett g wrote:

I received my iPhone 5 this morning, and entered the information the phone asked for to transfer my phone number to the new phone. Two hours later I still cannot make phone calls. I have turned the phone off and on. 

I've never had to wait this long for a phone number transfer - is there something else I should be doing?

Brett

dumb question - did you activate in via itunes? You may have to call support

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Not a dumb question, but I activated the phone as instructed on the phone and then restored from my old phone via iTunes. This is my third AT&T iPhone so I know the drill. I got a confirmation message saying that AT&T would email me when the number transferred. No email yet.

I guess I was wondering if anyone else is having issues, and wanted to let others know in case they are having similar waits. I expected it to be done in minutes, but this is probably a busy time.

I'll wait a while longer and then call this afternoon, if necessary. Thanks for responding.

Master

• 

7.4K Messages

12 years ago

Are you just upgrading your phone or actually porting your number?

If you ported a number to AT&T it could take some time to complete.  Have you checked the status?

Number Transfer Status (Port Request) Check your number transfer status online.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

I am transferring from one AT&T phone to another.

Tutor

• 

5 Messages

12 years ago

Tried chatting with AT&T customer services. Not a big help:

"Brett G-: When I turned it on, it knew my number and asked if I wanted to set it up. I entered the SSN for the account and my zip code. But now it has been three hours so I'm thinking something didn't work.

Michael : Ouch!

Michael : Have you turned the phone off and waited 30 secounds then turn the phone back on?

Brett G-: yes, twice

Brett G-: once less than half an hour ago

Michael : I am terribly sorry to hear that your Iphone is having these issues however, due to the contract signed between AT&T and Apple, I am unable to troubleshoot or do any exchanges

Michael : I can give you the dirrect number to call Apple. That number is 800-676-2775.

Brett G-: Is this not an ATT problem?

Michael : No, this is a device problem."

[edited for privacy – please do not post full names]

Mentor

• 

37 Messages

12 years ago

Ok I'm as curious as HOW is this a DEVICE PROBLEM when clearly ATT PORTING YOUR NUMBER is a PHONE SERVICE ON AN ACCOUNT?! Hmm.... I was going to port 2 of my numbers to iphone 5's but this kind of makes me want to stay away from Att unfortunately. I don't want to have to "end up with a problem" like yours, and then have to go to an Apple store since Att is down the street and Apple.... is not. Esp when it IS an ATT PROBLEM. Sorry Brett... I hope you get your number ported soon!!! 🙂

Expert

• 

12.2K Messages

12 years ago

@brett g wrote:
I am transferring from one AT&T phone to another.

then you just need to go into the store and have them swap sims around, you don;t port a number between phones on the same carrier, you port a number from one carrier to another.

you need to do it in the store becasue you will proably need a new nano sim for the iphone

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.