For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
atandtwhy's profile

Teacher

• 

8 Messages

Friday, October 27th, 2017 8:29 PM

Closed

iPhone X Pre-Order Cancelled

I stayed up to pre-order an iPhone X, created a new account with AT&T, and was confirmed to receive the phone Nov 3. Today around noon, I received an email telling me the order was cancelled. I called into AT&T and first was told the sale department can't help, so I need to call the e-commerce department, then the e-commerce department told me I had to go to a store, then the store manager told me it's because they "couldn't contact me for a few days", which is not possible as I did this last night, and he told me to call customer service.

Is there any accountability at this company? This has never happened to me with other carriers, can't believe AT&T doesn't want new business.

Tutor

• 

6 Messages

6 years ago

Anthony as ATT acknowledges this erroneous order cancellations, and I have two orders and the accompanying email from att saying my order was received, then the emails explaining my order was pending and I had to call, them the horrible delivery rate of December 4-17....what can you do for me. Can you expedite my order?

Mentor

• 

19 Messages

6 years ago

Hey Joeycats,

I am making the switch to a new cellular provider after this fiasco. If
you have Comcast TV, check out their service plans. They are using the
Verizon network (always rated the best) *AND* you have access to over *18
Mil *hotspots and great incentives for you to switch to them. Comcast has
done amazing work with their customers and also have some great deals.
Check them out, hopefully, they can help.

Contributor

• 

2 Messages

6 years ago

That was my conclusion as well.  I went ahead and ordered through Xfinity Mobile.  At least they had delivery dates in late Nov.  (Not the Nov 3rd I had with my first order, but better than December.)  Furthermore, like SiliconValley I wasn't too excited to stay with AT&T after this fiasco, even if they could eventually cough up a phone.

The in-store employees were helpful when I talked to them over the phone (and in email, and text).  But they ended up concluding that they couldn't directly do anything about order expediting orders.  This was the final text I got from one of the store reps:

"(manager) found that since you're so new to the company and ordering online such an expensive device that the system will cancel the order for fraud prevention.  Now: we have an option here. There is a specific department called "E-Comm" and they informed (manager) that if you call and do the order through them, that they can expedite the order date. But, if it's ordered in store, there is no option to expedite. E-Comm phone number is 8662674510. They will process your upgrade and do so with fraud prevention measures. So, yes, and the news is promising."

I didn't even want to try this, because I'd already done the dance where they send me to several different departments who all say they know nothing.  (And I'm pretty sure I was at E-Comm before in one of those calls.)

I still marvel at this -- what an coup de grâce of poor software combined with poor human customer support.  They have some automated fraud system, fine (just like spam filters and everything else).  But here the thing they suggest that could have flagged me was that I was a recent switch from T-mobile [1]?  That seems a strange reason to cancel an an order after doing a credit check and seeing I have great credit..

But then after all that... to *not* have a human in the loop when cancelling someones' iPhone X order is appalling.  To not have any recourse provided in the cancellation email itself -- no button to press or phone number to call -- is also appalling.  It's terrible system design.  And then on top of that 9/10 people that I talked to seemed completely unaware that there was any automated system down there assessing "risk factors".

[1] P.S. the only other possible red flag with my account is that we also just moved houses across town.  The in-store AT&T person coaxed me to go ahead and use my new address, even though I was afraid that might confuse things.  I suspect this was part of the problem and I was given very bad advice on that in-store.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Order iPhone X my first two orders were canceled was instructed i needed to go into store went into store I was approved to order again for the THIRD TIME now all of an sudden there’s an error again I am very upset with att i keep giving them my money & receive nothing back in return. Any one else have this problem what was the outcome 

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

Same issue here. 2 orders placed over the phone, and 2 orders that have been automatically cancelled for no reason whatsoever. Every order hits my credit report as well. It is crazy a company this size can have such a poor system. I suspect an error somewhere in the ordering system gets triggered automatically and cancels the order. The cancellation email states they have tried to contact me, but it is just a random message as no one has contacted me regarding my order.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

6 years ago

Yep they just told me the order was canceled again and they don.t know how now.

Teacher

• 

20 Messages

6 years ago

I didn't get a cancellation email nothing.

Contributor

• 

1 Message

6 years ago

I've had a similar problem.  I ordered an upgarded phone in November it was sent to wrong address.  I am continually transferred to different departments.  Now I've been told I need to forward a photo copy of my government issued ID, credit card and police report.   Has anyone had this issue?

Tutor

• 

7 Messages

5 years ago

So is there a solution yet?

I am trying to get an iPhone X & start a 2-year contract. I went through the order process and it said I only owed $54 today which was taxes, nothing that says I need to make a down payment. My mom said she would pay the $54 due today with her card which is a Direct Express Debit Card, just as a late gift since I really been wanting the phone. So I went ahead and placed the order 2 nights ago, with her Direct Express MasterCard, and they sent me a confirmation email about my order, saying to keep an eye on it. Next morning I wake up, its saying that my order has been canceled, either by me or AT&T. It told me the order got canceled because they couldn't verify it was me, yet I put in my correct ssn and everything, the only thing that I used different is my moms Direct Express Mastercard to purchase the order. Finally it said I need to bring my ID to my local AT&T store where I was gonna pick the phone up that I ordered. Well I went to my local AT&T store where I was told to go in the email, and he asked me for my debit card, ID, and a 3rd, which I used my insurance card. He types in my info and then proceeds to chat with some people through AT&T and are asking him questions, finally he said my credit is frozed and told me to call Experian. He tried again and then he told me it would be $254 to start service with them today for the iPhone X. At this point I am irritated because online it only said due today was $54, that was it. There was no down payment needed. Whats the deal? I went on the Experian website and gave me the option "unfreeze credit" which I clicked and typed in my personal info. It asked me for my personal PIN and I dont have one, never got one. A few times of tying it gave me "We couldn't verify its you at this time." Then the last time I tried it told me "We cannot honor your request because your credit is not frozen" So every time I try to start service and pay with my moms card, it summits the order likes its successful then 5 min later I check on there website and it says the status is canceled. So my order keeps canceling. Could it be because of my moms card being Direct Express or because I need to use my own Debit Card which is Chime? I don't understand, because if it was my credit that was the problem, it wouldn't let me order it, then cancel it with a message saying they couldn't verify if its really me or not. The only thing I could think of is its because I'm using a card that doesn't have my name on it? Or because its Direct Express? This is a whole mess, and for AT&Ts website saying its hassle free if you pickup your order in store, that is not true. Nobody is giving me an answer.

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.