For the mom who gives us everything - Mother's Day gifts that connects us.
The new iPhone 15
ayepez923's profile

Contributor

• 

1 Message

Wednesday, July 27th, 2016 11:08 AM

iPhone Upgrade

Online it says my next upgrade is on Januray 7th and thats when it will be 2 years since I have had my iPhone 6 (I am on the 2 year contract). I was hoping to get the iphone 6 plus when I go back to the states. Would I be able to upgrade early and how much  money will I need to spend in order for it to happen.. 

ACE - Expert

• 

13.1K Messages

8 years ago

If you are on the NEXT 24, you can trade in your phone after 24 months but the payments are broke down into 30 payments. If you phone is in good working condition, you can trade the phone and they will forgive the last 6 payments. If you phone has any physical damage, you will need to pay off the remaining payments and the phone is yours to keep and sell.

You can pay off to the trade in or payoff payment at any time. That is one of the advantiages of NEXT, you can pay off your phone early and get a new phone at any time.

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

Your upgrade date really does not mean anything now because there are no 2 year contract discounts anymore. Your options for buying a new phone are Next and pay full price up front. The only question is whether you are eligible for Next now or will you have to wait until January. 

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@ayepez923 Are you on a regular contract or a Next plan?

Also, if your iPhone 6 is in good shape it's worth more than the last 6 payments (your last 6 Next payments are probably about $152) and Gazelle will give you $190-$210 (you'd get more on ebay). I just thought I'd mention that. I know you're out of the country but I think they pay via paypal.

@sandblaster They still have time on their contract and they want to do it early. If they are on an old contract until January 7th can they buy a new Next phone nowIf they can't then their upgrade date does mean something...

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@Gary L wrote:

@sandblaster They still have time on their contract and they want to do it early. If they are on an old contract until January 7th can they buy a new Next phone nowIf they can't then their upgrade date does mean something...

Which I acknowledged. Sorry if my wording doesn't meet your approval. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

Since ATT has no more contracts, they are not inclined to lure people off them with early upgrades with Next.

the general policy is "no early upgrades". 

You can expect to pay the current retail cost of any phone.  Your current phone can be sold to offset the cost.  The iPhone 6 and 6 plus has dropped in price and will drop again when the pre order for the iPhone 7 is offered.

Once in a while a customer is offered an early upgrade with Next.   We have probably seen the end of such offers.

If they really want people to buy phones with Next, they should be working on me.  All 8 lines are eligible for upgrade.  I see multiple notices every month asking if I want to upgrade.

ACE - Expert

• 

16.5K Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40 thanks for answering, if they could buy now, I wanted to know (that'd be a nice transition for people).

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

As we know, without knowing exactly what the OPs position is, we are answering blindly.

If the information is accurate, and the OP is in a 2 year contract, then the expectation now is the contract has to be completed in order to be "upgrade eligible".   

There are still options, but no help from ATT can be expected.  My understanding is there is no more wiggle room.   Customers can buy a new phone at any time on their own.  

If it's Next 24, then the OP may be able to upgrade with trade in if phone is in excellent working condition. (Getting out of the last 6 payments)  Some call Next a contract, in a way it is. That is confusing for us when trying to answer. It's hard to cover all scenarios.

Im going with worse case - (taken at face value). expect to pay full price in a lump sum if the OP insists on upgrading before a 2 year contract is complete.  The current phone can be sold locked to ATT to offset that purchase. 

Another option I Almost forgot is Apple has their own financing program (insert me slapping my head) to get a new phone each year.   It has nothing to do with ATT, so you can buy through them, sell your current phone.

I am expecting iPhone prices to drop $100 in late August and would suggest waiting.  (When the new phone is announced). That might mean the 6 might be $200 less than a new iPhone 7. 

Im the odd duck, as you may have seen, I insist on all up front purchases.  It keeps my bill low and makes it sooooo much easier.  

ACE - Expert

• 

64.7K Messages

8 years ago

@lizdance40 I'm not sure that is true. Based on my experience, people on 2 year contracts become Next eligible before their 2 year contract expires. It has been awhile since any of the phones on my plan were under contract but all of them were Next eligible before their contract expired. Since a Next upgrade does not effect the 2 year contract and Next phones are full price, there really is no reason I can think of to withhold Next eligibility until the contract expires. 

ACE - Sage

• 

117.2K Messages

8 years ago

@sandblaster wrote:

@lizdance40 I'm not sure that is true. Based on my experience, people on 2 year contracts become Next eligible before their 2 year contract expires. It has been awhile since any of the phones on my plan were under contract but all of them were Next eligible before their contract expired. Since a Next upgrade does not effect the 2 year contract and Next phones are full price, there really is no reason I can think of to withhold Next eligibility until the contract expires. 

You are correct, that has been the case.  (I think for years). You would know the how and why of the practice better than us non -employees.  (Did it only start after MSV plan and Next)  And I have seen recent posts where an email offer was received, but not acted on and customer is wanting to redeem it later.   But with contracts having gone bye, bye for good, ATT could be more reserved in letting people out of contracts early and that seemed to be the case since January.   It may be random lottery.

It would seem the only reason to offer early upgrade is to lock in a line for a longer time.  (Which is why I joke they should be sucking up to me.  I have nothing holding me other than happy with my plan. )  I don't know if it's a random perk, I'm a newb compared to the rest of you.  

From my perspective I would prefer no customer get special treatment.  It makes everyone who didn't get a perk feel a bit cheated.  Keep it fair and equal.

But, you know  I came from Verizon where they didn't give customers a stinking thing, and you had to complete 51.5 weeks of a contract to upgrade.   They may have beat all the expectation of service out of us.  (Don't get me started on big red....)

Not finding what you're looking for?
New to AT&T Community?
New to the AT&T Community? Start by visiting the Community How-To.
New to the AT&T Community?
Visit the Community How-To.